• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Vacation in the age of covid

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It appears the second wave of covid is imminent. Maybe it will be really bad, maybe it will only be moderately bad, who can say? What form do you suspect your annual vacation will take on this year?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Early in the year we were considering renting a house for a week in the summer Up North near Sleeping Bear or maybe down south around Wilmington, NC (Surf City or Topsail) but even if things miraculously improve in the next month or so, we have no desire to do so. We'll stick with going to the in-laws for day trips to the beach on Lake Huron but even though we have our own beach house on the property, my wife isn't really comfortable staying the night up there.

I have to imagine this will be a tough year for a lot of those small towns in northern Michigan that really rely on the summer tourism to hold up their economy.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Our summer cruise was canceled, and we originally thought we'd wait until late summer - when COVID was a lower risk - and go somewhere north of here. That was back when we all thought this would be the case.

Now we're not so sure that's going to happen. One thing we did decide - no flying. We are limiting ourselves to a single day's drive - and by that I mean if we decided to make the entire trip there or back in a single day (12 hours or less on the road) we could. That does not mean that we can't split the drive a bit and see a couple of places. I'm pushing for driving east, he wants to go west.

Nothing's decided yet.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Was: Our 25th wedding anniversary is in late August - we'd been kicking around several ideas for southern Europe...

Currently: We've rented a house in St. Augustine on the Intracoastal Waterway.

Reality when we get to late August: ???

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I had been thinking of visiting my brother and s-i-l in their new home in Vermont, and possibly bringing my kids for a stop over in my old Jersey stomping grounds. That's out.
I was then thinking I might visit my sister in the Rockies. But, no, I'm not getting on a plane anytime soon.
So it looks like my vacation this year will be loafing around and working on painting the house.
Maybe with the savings I can splurge on a big trip in a couple of years ...

Big Owl

Cyburbian
It appears the second wave of covid is imminent. Maybe it will be really bad, maybe it will only be moderately bad, who can say? What form do you suspect your annual vacation will take on this year?
Our original plans was a cruise to the Bahamas. That got canceled in May. I was okay not doing anything. I was informed that we are now going glamping instead. Our accommodations appear to consist of a elevated platform tent with queen side beds. The glampground is located in a flood plain between a minor tributary of the Mississippi River and an active rail line. These plans could be impacted by covid if the county that the place is located in does some type of quarantine as it is in a rural part of NC with very little local healthcare resources.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am going to Vermont for a long weekend in July because travel between the northern New England states is open. I may take a long weekend in August to go up to my friend's camp on a lake by Baxter State Park.

Planit

Cyburbian
Our 20th Anniversary was last fall & we planned to take a trip this spring - didn't happen
CNU in Minneapolis - cancelled
Long Wknd in July - cancelled
Trip back home to Florida for a week in August - still on

Also this Spring we were going to visit a half dozen college campuses with The Girl - cancelled

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Our 20th Anniversary was last fall & we planned to take a trip this spring - didn't happen
CNU in Minneapolis - cancelled
Long Wknd in July - cancelled
Trip back home to Florida for a week in August - still on

Also this Spring we were going to visit a half dozen college campuses with The Girl - cancelled
We also had college campus visits cancelled this spring. Hoping to still go in the late summer but unsure at this point.

As for vacations, I will be going to NY at least once this summer, if not twice. We're still playing it by ear to see if any events will still be happening. At the very least, I'd like to stay at my mom's for a week and I feel confident that I can do that safely -- unless Cuomo makes me quarantine the whole time I'm there.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
We had to cancel a two week vacation to Los Angeles and Las Vegas we planned to take in August. Even though early projections showed the pandemic would be largely over by late May / early June (which may be the case in NY, but not elsewhere), we still didn't feel comfortable with the idea of flying. The idea of wearing masks to Magic Mountain and the like would have been far from ideal. AirBnB -- forget it. We like seeing concerts at thee Hollywood Bowl, but the entire season of performances was cancelled.

Our options are now limited to areas where new cases have dropped to sorta-kinda-safe levels -- that leaves rural NY and New England, since the Canadian border is closed to non-essential travel. (As of today, our county of 100,000 residents has no recorded active COVID-19 cases. However, it might not stay that way, thanks to summer tourism and returning students.) We're thinking of a weekend at a B&B that offers cow cuddling.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, this is a good year to camp away from other people

if people are thinking of coming to Maine to escape, note it's already here, and, get a test a couple days before you come or be prepared to quarantine for 2 weeks - it's getting a little crazy with people yelling at out of state plate drivers, but then tourists walking around crowded streets with no masks - it's nuts, so I have my hiding spots to keep away

the people from out of state that usually come here in the summer that are nice, stayed home this year, the ones that came are the ones that are all "I am NOT quarantining, you can't make me and you can't make me wear a mask" - my middle child is working in a store and is emotionally exhausted already from making people to wait outside when the store is at the people limit and to wear a mask - all so they can buy a Patagonia jacket?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We were going to do a road-trip around the North East...

Now we are going to do a day trip to the beach. I might take the kiddos to an amusement park in a few months depending on COVID trends.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We have cancelled a lot of trips this year... and we were planning on going to Michigan in July, but aren't doing that anymore either.

We are doing the standard trip to Colorado where we have a place and won't have to see anyone we don't want to see. We can get groceries and disappear into the wilderness for a week. I am looking forward to leaving my house...

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
S.o. found us someplace to go in Timberville, VA so we can go on a vacation away from people. Should be interesting, as we usually pick cities with lots of stuff to do.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
Our original plans was a cruise to the Bahamas. That got canceled in May. I was okay not doing anything. I was informed that we are now going glamping instead. Our accommodations appear to consist of a elevated platform tent with queen side beds. The glampground is located in a flood plain between a minor tributary of the Mississippi River and an active rail line. These plans could be impacted by covid if the county that the place is located in does some type of quarantine as it is in a rural part of NC with very little local healthcare resources.
And what about the bathroom situation? Is there one? Do you have to share it with others?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
No Plans Now - staycation -

Just where is it safe for a over 60 yr old w/health risk to go ?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I need to go see my folks in TX. I also need to go see my daughter, but I think she's going to try to come here. I also thought about going to Northern Michigan, but that's also out. Put me in the flying-is-out category, especially since the airlines stopped doing social distancing. Outside of that, nada, no plans.

dw914er

Cyburbian
We have a big family trip planned for an AirBnB in Lake Tahoe this December. I think that one is still safe to do since we will can be pretty remote from other travelers. My wife and I try to do summer vacation trips, but that won't be happening this year.