• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Valentine's Day

Runner

Cyburbian
Everyone ready for the big day tomorrow?

For Valentine's Day #16 for us, Mrs. Runner will be getting a nice big card, necklace, and lunch at a fine Italian restaurant. Later, I imagine we will be sharing a bottle of wine in front of the fireplace.

This will be the first time that I've ever had a sweetheart for Valentine's Day. I've always been single at this time of the year. I jumped the gun and gave him his present last night (a leather jacket). My belief is one shouldn't have to wait until some commercially-recognized holiday to express their love for one another. :k :f

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I won't be buying the overpriced f'ng roses, that's for sure, but I'll worry about that tomorrow.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
This will be the first time that I've ever had a sweetheart for Valentine's Day. I've always been single at this time of the year. I jumped the gun and gave him his present last night (a leather jacket). My belief is one shouldn't have to wait until some commercially-recognized holiday to express their love for one another. :k :f
We usually don't make a big deal out of it because I feel the same way. But yesterday I got a huge arrangement of star gazer lilies, taken out to dinner, and then told we're going to San Diego for the weekend. :)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
I believe...

I have the most bizarre Valentine's Day gift. Anyone want to challenge?

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I'd post my plans....but of course, since my beautiful wife reads the forums, I'll refrain until the day has passed. :)

Re: I believe...

Mastiff said:
I have the most bizarre Valentine's Day gift. Anyone want to challenge?
I think we have to know what it is first before we can challenge you.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Re: I believe...

Planderella said:

I think we have to know what it is first before we can challenge you.
Not really, I was thinking someone might say, "No, *I* have the most bizarre!" Then we would compare...

Repo Man

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
I won't be buying the overpriced f'ng roses, that's for sure, but I'll worry about that tomorrow.
I find that if you purchase roses at a supermarket, they are much cheaper than a florist. My girlfriend makes me promise not to buy overpriced florist roses.

JNL

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:

I find that if you purchase roses at a supermarket, they are much cheaper than a florist. My girlfriend makes me promise not to buy overpriced florist roses.
That's true, but they always look like they're from the supermarket. 'Spose you could re-wrap them in nicer paper. Or maybe your supermarket does a good job.

As for me, it's Valentines Day here already, and I have a date tonight! Only met this guy last week but I think we're not going out because it's Valentines Day, the date is just a coincidence.

I wasn't going to get him anything as I don't think he will get me anything, we don't know each other well enough yet! But my friend suggested I get a card and have it on hand just in case he does give me something.

How am I supposed to sign it when I don't want to make too much of it being Valentines day (might scare him off). Yours sincerely?? Kind regards?? Only joking but don't know what I will write.

Wish me luck finding a card that's appropriate!!!!!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
im getting Scott a CD he wants and tix to the DC wine festival (not cheap at all i was floored!)

i have no idea what he has in store for me-i asked him last night and he said "oh i donno something nice, a carriage shaped like a pumpkin, glass slippers, etc"

what the HECK does THAT mean?

befuddled

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lol well thats not a problem! Im getting old i start hearing my pillow call me about 11pm

course its all in if my pillow calls him too ;-)

donk

Cyburbian
Story about roses,

I used to work for a greenhouse, where we sold wholesale at the Food Terminal in Toronto. This terminal is where teh majority of agricultural and horticultural products are sold and inspected.

As most roses at this time of year, they need to be inspected and cleared by custom's agents / inspectors. I was told by one of the vendors that they order in extra roses for Valentine's Day because so many inspectors need samples for examination that they would run out if they did not. That is one of the reasons that they are so much more expensive this time of year.

As for my plans, watch TV and try to avoid shows about valentines day.

Valentine's is actually the anniversary of rob and my first date. We were grad students, and neither of us were seeing anyone, so I said hey, want to go grab a movie? and he said "sure", and before the movie we were just friends, but after the movie, there were sparks in the air. :)

This morning I gave rob his present - morning action. He got the paper and took care of the dogs this morning so i could read more of the paper and drink my coffee. It was a good valentines exchange.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
awwww

im told to be read at 8 for dinner reservations in the city at 10

whats gonna take 2 hours? hehe he better not think im gonna get all messed up after spending hours getting dressed and done up (this is rare for me)

hehe maybe we will get snowed in tomorrow ;-)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
We're redoing our bathroom.

Whoah hoah!! Actually, we went to Lansing last weekend for a concert, dinner and shopping, so that was our Valentines. My mom, dad, and grandma are going to be here this weekend to help. Chad has one of his few 4 day weekends, so the timing fit, what can I say?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My wife and I agreed that we aren't going to get anything for each other this Valentine's Day - money's a bit tight, and we're saving up for a few things.

My wife has a mid-term exam tonight, so I think I will be picking her up after she's done, getting some take-out and some movies, and then doing some serious cuddling.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
KMateja said:
This morning I gave rob his present - morning action.
It's the little things that make Valentines Day special, right Kel? :)

I gave Erica and Kylie their presents last night...Kylie got $5 in gift certificates to Happy Donalds, and I got Erica a really soft purple blanket (which I gave her on Monday when she was sick) and a bottle/lotion combo of T Girl perfume.

jmf

Cyburbian
Paul and a friend have been scheming all week. They are making dinner tonight for the wives and then we are going out to see a play put on by the local theatre group.

Paul already has the table set for dinner, wine glasses and everything. I heard rumours of chocolate cheesecake. MMmmmm

We sort of got engaged on Valentine's Day. We decided to get married in the fall and tried to plan a surprise Christmas wedding/housewarming party but that didn't work so then we decided to get married when his sister was home in May. Paul always complained that he never got the chance to propose since we kind of just decided (we had been together 8 years) so on Valentine's he painted "Will you marry me" on the wall in the stairwell which we were painting at the time. It's still there under the primer and topcoats. He always said we had to have a atory to tell people when they asked how he proposed.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
JNL said:
As for me, it's Valentines Day here already, and I have a date tonight! Only met this guy last week but I think we're not going out because it's Valentines Day, the date is just a coincidence.
I try not to schedule first or second dates on Valentine's Day. It's just too awkward ... too many expectations.

I had dates last night (went great!), and there's a woman that I've already had two dates with; I'm seeing her again on Monday. Tomorrow I have another first date with someone. Tonight, I'm going to shampoo my carpet.

Dan said:

I had dates last night (went great!), and there's a woman that I've already had two dates with; I'm seeing her again on Monday. Tomorrow I have another first date with someone. Tonight, I'm going to shampoo my carpet.
Dan! You're the LADIES MAN!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Since its Valentines Day - I'm going to let the little lady supersize her meal. :)

Kidding - We went out Wednesday night for a wonderful meal at a restaurant that is our current financial version of upscale. We had a nice time and talked about how our lives are so much better together than they were before we met. It was so sweet I damn near went into diabetic shock. Then I took her home and we made sweet....no, wait I think we fell asleep from the heavy meal and margaritas. That Lobsterfest(tm) is a libido killer. :)

donk

Cyburbian
Dan, from geographically undesirable to the cyburbia dating machine. I think I need to move to KC.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Just a card, small gift, and nice dinner out. Low key.

Ah....Valentine's Day - the day of love. It cuts both ways for me. I guess I've been lucky enough to love two unbelieveable women in my life...my college sweartheart (first love) and my wife. Both tremendous women. I once told my college sweatheart that I would never forget her...that every time the sun came up I would think of her. Unfortunately for me that's still the case. Fourteen years later I still miss her something terribly. I talk to her maybe once every couple of years. Sometimes I'll dream about her and wake up with this yearning feeling in my heart. It's so funny how life works out....

Now my wife....what a lady! Beautiful, nice, funny, and safe. I feel very comfortable around her. She is just so pretty and I'm so glad I married her. She's my baby! I've known her for eleven years and she still continues to amaze me. As much as I love our kids I can't wait till they get old enough so we can begin to do things alone again. And grow even closer!

I'm I nuts for thinkin' of two women on Valentine's Day?

AntiPlannerMovement

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
AntiPlannerMovement said:

AntiPlannerMovement
Not if your name is William Jefferson Clinton.

AntiPlannerMovement said:

I can relate to this, a bit. My college boyfriend was my first serious fall in love sun moon and stars, wrapped up in each other one hundred percent was going to marry him and have his babies and our breakup mentally unhinged me in ways that make me cringe to this day to look back on. and while i don't think about him today, or most days even, i don't think i'll ever totally be over our relationship, even though I am happily married to man that makes me happier than i ever imagined i could be, and had i married the first guy, we'd likely be divorced by now or extremely unhappy.

so no. i don't think you're crazy.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Photo - Last years Valentine's Day

Here is a photo of the house before we headed out to Arbys. I paid extra to have the driver come up the 1/2 mile gravel road all the way to the house. We had to move little Guap's el Camino to get the limo under the car port. But it makes for a nicer picture.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
NO ONE is going to take the bizarre gift challenge?!

I am shocked at this group...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mastiff said:
NO ONE is going to take the bizarre gift challenge?!

I am shocked at this group...
I missed your post the first time. Sounds interesting...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Maybe some of us dont know the gift yet and maybe we would rather not shock folks more than needed

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
PlannerGirl said:
maybe we would rather not shock folks more than needed
Now, now PG, vibrators only skock when they're defective. :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: I believe...

Mastiff said:

Not really, I was thinking someone might say, "No, *I* have the most bizarre!" Then we would compare...
I'll compare. heh

nerudite

Cyburbian
We celebrated Vday last weekend, since tonight we have the kids. We took a little jaunt down to Calgary and went to a trade show (everything to do with sex I think was the name of the show). We bought some goodies for each other, uh... no more details than that here.

Today he surprised me with flowers in the morning and a card.

Tonight we are going to a dance... and I mean a kids dance. We are chaperoning (sp?) the kids' Vday dance in their Catholic school gym. I'm sure memories of awkward junior high days will come screaming back... but I think it will be fun.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Okay... here's mine.

The background:

My new wife has been very "understanding" when it comes to my compunction to cheaply find appliances and work on them and such. Well, even before I met her, I had this old washer and dryer, and constantly fixed them. Well, I constantly fixed this washer, but she grew more and more annoyed with it. She hated it... it seemed to hate her.

Fast forward to Oregon... We moved this piece of junk 1500 miles (at the expense of my back lifting it on and off the truck), hook it up, and she starts washing clothes. After six loads, it dies. Dead. Even I can't revive it. She is livid... I want to take it to the dump, but no, she wants it saved. She wants to kill it. She wants to do it harm.

So, just the other night, I drove that thing out to the industrial park, and pushed it off the truck. I went and picked up a little bottle of bubbly while I had my foreman go and pick her up at the house.

Then we sat and toasted while she got to watch him use the excavator to sling it around, rip parts off, and finally... smash it flat.

Now, ain't that just redneck romantic?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
oh my god im laughing so hard my co workers are doing the prairie dog thing.

you should have taped that...death.

Edit

WOW!!! CONGRATS on that-its breath taking

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
TexasPlanner said:
HOLY CRAP- I just got my Valentine's Present!
Holy Crap that man has taste. I bet he's gonna get some lovin' tonight! :)

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
I ditched work early and came home and baked valentine's cookies (my mom had sent a heart shaped cutter and sugar cookie mix). I arrived home to find my husband had gotten a pretty boquet of flowers.

Tonight we are leaving for an early dinner at the only decent Mexican food restaurant in town. Then because we are expecting nasty weather we'll rent a movie and sit by the fire.