• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Vancouver Council Okays Residential Sex Trade

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Article from today's Globe and Mail

In a surprise move, councillors voted 4-3 to include elements of the sex trade among approved businesses that a person can run from their home in the city's increasingly residential downtown core".

My fav:

Councillor Tim Louis, another supporter, called the move an experiment. "We will watch and listen. We are open-minded about this."

Seabishop

Cyburbian
But is it legal there? I can zone for drug dealing downtown but it will still be illegal.

"Sex Trade" - nice substitution of words. Its less offensive than "prostitution" and makes it sound like a legitimate service induestry even though its the same thing.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
But is it legal there? I can zone for drug dealing downtown but it will still be illegal.

"Sex Trade" - nice substitution of words. Its less offensive than "prostitution" and makes it sound like a legitimate service induestry even though its the same thing.

What is the definition of "sex trade" that they are allowing? There are activities included in the sex trade that do not actually involve having sexual contact. Per haps these are what they had in mind.

donk

Cyburbian
They have to give the junkies who have places to legally shoot up a place to earn a living. ;)

There is line in the article stating that keeping a "bawdy house" is a criminal code violation, so I guess you can be a phone sex line worker, but not have "friends" over.

And people in BC wonder why the rest of Canada thinks they are odd.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I once talked to a planning director who was ambushed on the news about prostitution and other illegal activities going on in local strip clubs. The reporter asked him how the planning/zoning dept. could permit such places. He gave the obvious response that zoning doesn't have to forbid every criminal act that could possibly take place within a zone. If you sell drugs out of your record shop its not a zoning issue.

SGB

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I once talked to a planning director who was ambushed on the news about prostitution and other illegal activities going on in local strip clubs. The reporter asked him how the planning/zoning dept. could permit such places. He gave the obvious response that zoning doesn't have to forbid every criminal act that could possibly take place within a zone. If you sell drugs out of your record shop its not a zoning issue.

Actually, given the legal requirements behind regulating S.O.B.'s in the United States, I think that it can be effective argued that the secondary effects of such land uses (such as crime) are zoning issues.