• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Variance mystery

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I just finished a mystery, The Arraignment, by Steve Martini, in which the murder plot revolved around a variance the victim needed. Not used to seeing this stuff in novels!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I wonder if the author was drawing inspiration from personal experience.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is another book with a planning theme, at least in the first part of the story.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Was it a satire or a 'dark' mystery? It sounds like something from a Carl Hiaasen novel!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
along a similar vein or artery
has anyone read any of
Nevada Barr's environmental crime & murder mystery's set in various National Parks?
or
Earl Emerson's Mac Fontana mystery's with politics, arson, and murder in a small town?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
JNA said:
along a similar vein or artery
has anyone read any of
Nevada Barr's environmental crime & murder mystery's set in various National Parks?
or
Earl Emerson's Mac Fontana mystery's with politics, arson, and murder in a small town?
Ooh, I love Nevada Barr's books, especially the one where Anna Pigeon (the protagonist) is trapped in a cave. The author actually was (or maybe still is) a park ranger.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Have either of you - ZG or MP
seen or picked up the new Nevada Barr High Country ?
it is set in Yosemite NP.

Or have been to Yosemite?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I have High Country on the reserve list at the library, so don't know when I'll get it. It got a good review in the paper today. Anna goes undercover at Yosemite to solve some disappearances, then of course she ends up on the run.

I was at Yosemite when I was 9 and my family took a 6-week car trip around the US. I don't really remember a lot about it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Dang! I got scooped again. Here I was already up to chapter 24 of the new novel I'm writing. I thought I had the market locked down on the zoning-administrator-as-adventurer type series....the book was going to be entitled "The Municipality" and the pages were to be filled with lots of pathos and drama written in noire style prose. Chapter 9 was called 'the variance'...here is an excerpt:
...I told her the variance application would be fifty up front. She had the fifty up front. She batted her eyes at me, but I'd been duped by too many dames to be taken in by her come on. I cut her off, "Listen sister, I don't know what kind of Boards you're used to dealing with but around here we follow Robert's Rules of Order and you gotta sell your own practical difficulties without my help." She glared back at me, "Believe me, Maister, when I get in front of the Zoning Board they're sure to find a hardship for me"........

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Maybe this should be a collaborative effort other planners might like to help with?.....

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Re-reading that great effort,
we never finished it or did we just lose interest?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Maister said:
...I told her the variance application would be fifty up front. She had the fifty up front. She batted her eyes at me, but I'd been duped by too many dames to be taken in by her come on. I cut her off, "Listen sister, I don't know what kind of Boards you're used to dealing with but around here we follow Robert's Rules of Order and you gotta sell your own practical difficulties without my help." She glared back at me, "Believe me, Maister, when I get in front of the Zoning Board they're sure to find a hardship for me"........
I think that Maister was a P.I. from the 20's and 30's in another life...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
No. Just a talent for poor simile and metaphore....

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Let me guess - you listen to
A Praire Home Companion on NPR for the Guy Noir skit :cool:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yeah, I'm on Garrison's paid writing staff ;-) ....