• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Zoning Variances

CityWoke

So where do you draw the line on what can receive a variance? A dimension, yes. A maximum number, no?

I want a 5' setback instead of 6'. Okay, you can request a variance.

I want two signs instead of one. Ask for a code amendment? Or does anyone allow someone to request a variance for this too?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
What does your state code say about variances? A variance cannot be used for a want or desire. Basically, there needs to be unique hardship that prevents you from using the property the way zoning allows. Hardships cannot be economic or self-imposed in my state.

DVD

Cyburbian
Most places I've worked have always set limits like dimensions or things in section X (referring to dimensions). My current job will allow it for most things. Need a shorter setback, variance. Need to be allowed to maneuver in the ROW, variance. Some things are still not allowed like density, use, signs because we have a use permit to increase sign allowances.