• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Various subforum changes

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
At first, I thought about getting rid of Student Lounge, because of the low traffic. Unfortunately, many posts there, such as the frequent "what's the better school?" threads, don't easily fit elsewhere. Thus, it's getting a reprieve.

I got rid of the beloved Planning Peeves board. Planning Peeves came into existence several years ago, before Cyburbia had a general, all-purpose doesn't-have-to-be-serious-or-even-planning-related discussion area like the relatively new Friday Afternoon Club.

All of the messages in PP fit well with the character and intent of FAC, so it doesn't seem to make sense keeping both boards.

I also reluctantly blasted Planning Organizations and Certification into the ether of cyberspace, its old messages moving into Make No Small Plans. Planning Organizations and Certification was my feeble attempt to attract the attention of the APA/AICP, CIP, RTPI, and other professional planning organizations, and maybe see more of their representatives here. It didn't work. Messages about planning organizations, certification, and so on are appropriate for Make No Small Plans, considering its intent as a home to " general discussion about ... the planning profession".

Small Town and Rural Planning will be consolidated into Make No Small Plans today or tomorrow. There's only 122 posts in that forum, only a couple of new threads a month, and most of those could easily find a place in any of the other forums.

Why the consolidation? Better to have fewer very active forums, than lots that are so-so. The number of posts per day bounced up considerably in March, but then held level -- about 40 to 100 a day on weekdays, five to ten on weekends. That's good considering the number of active participants, but not fantastic considering the size of the planning and city geek community. I've done a lot to promote the site, without too much luck. A 1/6 page ad in Planning costs $625, and I really doubt they'll donate it to me. Hell, I'm willing to beg for the space, and plead for others to lobby on my behalf.

I'd like to do some more promotion among the APA and CIP chapters. Maybe writing the editors of the chapter and division newsletters (snail mail!) and putting out press releases.

The only other promotional technique I can think of is for Cyburbanites to get active on the PRO-URB mailing list. Here's a sampling of e-mail addresses of the participants on the list in the past couple of days to give you an idea of who's on there.

Lucien Steil luciensteil @ INTERNET.LU
John Massengale - New School / TAU johnm @ NEWSCHOOL.NU
Laura Hall laura @ FISHERANDHALL.COM
Andres Duany andres @ DPZ.COM
Steven Bodzin sbodzin @ CNU.ORG
Douglas Duany DOUGLASDUANY @ AOL.COM
James Howard Kunstler Kunstler @ AOL.COM

You can stop drooling now.

I'm still not having much luck getting some of the armchair planners to visit from the skyscraper boards. I'd like to have 'em aboard -- their "city geekery" is quite fascinating, something we should engage in more here. It's the kind of stuff many of the more hardcore planners discuss among themselves after they've had a few at a conference reception -- where are the best neighborhoods, why are south sides usually the rough part of town, and so on. I may plant some of the busier "city geek" threads from those other forums here, to see if they take root.

I've been posting a lot to the city geek pages on the various skyscraper fan sites, and including the Cyburbia URL in my signature. The very popular Skyscraper Pages site just went vBulletin today, though, which probably won't help.

I regret that I don't think PLANetizen collaboration will help boost traffic in the forums. Long story, one which I'm still depressed about. :(

Okay, enough of that.

NHPlanner would have been forumless due to the loss of POC. (As super mods, you can edit messages in forums where you don't officially mod, but still ....). I gave NHPlanner a "promotion" to Make No Small Plans. (If ya' want a different forum, let me know and I'll make the change.)

I'd like to introduce kmateja as a new mod. Welcome aboard. Have a board in mind? :)

So, where's all those animated avatars you wanted so badly, huh? :blah

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The changes all seemed logical, Dan. A good move to streamline things for sure.

As to the other boards, I spend too much time HERE already to go surfing around more boards!

...Oh -- and welcome to moderator land, Kellie.

PS - I like the simple understatement of my animated avatar..

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
No problem Dan...I'm fine wherever you want to "promote" me. :p

Welcome to the secret room Kelly. :)

»Tim«

planasaurus

Cyburbian
All the changes sound fine to me, but I would miss the student lounge if it was gone. Although it would be nice to see more posts there - other than "what school is the best".

Welcome to the smoke filled room Kmateja!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Good Moves and Mods Dan.
Welcome Kelly - Learn the secret handshake quickly!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Welcome aboard Kelly!

Damn...I better get some transportation-related discussions going soon or Dan may decide to prune MY forum!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I don't think I'll be snipping transportation anytime soon. The stuff there can't fit in anyplace else.

I wouldn't mind getting some of the roadgeeks from misc.transport.road, and transit fans from misc.transport.transit over here, though. I might also do a sneak attack on the APA Transportation Division listserv.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Re: Some forum changes

Dan said:
NHPlanner would have been forumless due to the loss of POC. (As super mods, you can edit messages in forums where you don't officially mod, but still ....). I gave NHPlanner a "promotion" to Make No Small Plans. (If ya' want a different forum, let me know and I'll make the change.)
You could add me to the Kiosk in addition to MNSP...as I always seem to get plenty of job ads e-mailed to me as a chapter webmaster...and I post there almost as much as anywhere else.

Ugh - i'm so clueless (see: "I'm such a jackass" post)- thank you for my warm welcome! I'll be happy to moderate wherever my powers of moderation are needed!