• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

vBulletin 3.0

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The Cyburbia Forums will probably be upgraded to vBulletin 3.0 RC 2 this weekend. I'll give fair warning before I shut the board down to upgrade; it'll be on Saturday or Sunday night (18 or 19 January 400-1000 GMT or so).

Here's what it looks like. I'll be spending some time to Cyburbia-ize the templates as much as possible, though, so it won't look radically different.

User settings, profiles, avatars, post counts and so on shouldn't be affected.

Looking good - and nice to see the release candidate in action on a familiar forum

Hehe, obviously you didn't wait until the weekend to throw down the latest 3.0.0 version!
I've already noticed you doing the cyburbanizationing process...!

Good for you, it looks like RC2 is basically what the 'gold' will look like!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Looking good! and I like that this one does have the black dot that indicates if you have posted on the thread or not :)

EDIT: I just saw a cool feature.. when you put your mouse above a thread it gives you a little abstract of the first post! awesome! :)

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The black dot is a belated Christmas present to the Cyburbianites that have been begging me for it. . :) To keep things simple, though, I won't add the special "hot thread" icon that some boards use.

There are various language packs that might become available, so Cyburbia can be in Spanish, French, or other languages at the choosing of the user.

Cyburbia en Español ... ¿si? I'm still working on cleaning up the English language pack, though.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Troy-by-the-Sea said:
Good for you, it looks like RC2 is basically what the 'gold' will look like!
Mas o menos. I''ve got the thread dispaly in "legacy mode," since it's more familiar to users here. The default vB 3 thread display mode puts all the user information at the top of a post, like this. The new default mode looks nice, and it saves a bit of screen space, but once-familiar vB 3 sites using the new postbit just look strange.

There's still a lot of work to do. vB 3 wasn't kind with existing templates, so they all have to be recreated from scratch; fortunately, I saved all the graphics and color settings before I updated. There is also a lot more fine tuning to do.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Looks good, getting used to locations of familiar buttons, like mark forum as read.

One observation: The default choice for subscribing to a thread in a reply, is "Instant email notification." Maybe I am not the norm but, I rarely subscribe to threads that I don't start, so I now need to remember to set it as "Do not subscribe."

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
ludes98 said:
One observation: The default choice for subscribing to a thread in a reply, is "Instant email notification." Maybe I am not the norm but, I rarely subscribe to threads that I don't start, so I now need to remember to set it as "Do not subscribe."
Thanks for letting me know! Lemme' see if I can change that. The back end control pabel is quite overwhelming now, with hundreds of options, so it'll take a while to find and fix the setting.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Tweaking the default colors (while I work on the Comp Plan Demographics element).

Give me your honest opinion.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Dan, the site looks great and I'm having a good time learning the new ins and outs. Keeping Cyburbia Fresh!

ludes98 said:
I agree with ludes98 and have noticed that when I do edit options to unsubscribe to threads the system continues to subscribe me after each post. Any suggestions?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Gedunker said:
I agree with ludes98 and have noticed that when I do edit options to unsubscribe to threads the system continues to subscribe me after each post. Any suggestions?
I've got a question about that posted to the vBulletin programmers. Hopefully, we can have that taken care of.

Did you try your control panel default settings? Control Panel --> Edit Options --> Default Thread Subscription Mode = Do not subscribe.

ludes98

Cyburbian
So simple....

Dan said:
Did you try your control panel default settings? Control Panel --> Edit Options --> Default Thread Subscription Mode = Do not subscribe.
Doh!!! That works. Apparently in the upgrade, the default is instant notification, so users will need to make the adjustment manually if they prefer not to subscibe to every thread in which they reply. Thanks Dan.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Tranplanner used his super-mod powers to adjust my settings, but the last post I replied to (after the PM) subscribed me to the thread. I'll go ahead and try Dan's method as it seems to have worked for ludes98.

TP thanks for the PM -- now I've got to figure out where the "reply" button is for PMs.

ludes98

Cyburbian
I think the new settings may only apply to threads you are not already subscribed to. If you were subscribed to a thread by a previous post, the box will still show instant notification. That appears to be how it was working for me. I have since gone into the control panel and unsubscribed to all threads.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
IT WORKS! I'm so digi-illiterate that I get excited when things worked as advertised.

ludes98 said:
I think the new settings may only apply to threads you are not already subscribed to. If you were subscribed to a thread by a previous post, the box will still show instant notification. That appears to be how it was working for me. I have since gone into the control panel and unsubscribed to all threads.
Yeah, I unsubscribed to subscribed threads and have now posted twice without automatic enrollment.

I did notice that when I set the email notification to "Do Not Subscribe" my mouse wheel automatically changed the settings as I scrolled down the window. I had to click in the field to "set" the "Do Not Subscribe" function.

Dan -- I like the colors, they are comfortably compatible.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
vB 3.0 RC 3 was just released a few minutes ago. I updated the software, so this is one of the first sites out there running the new version. This is supposed to be the last release before vBulletin 3.0 goes gold.

Let me know if you encounter any bugs, so I can report them to the vBulletin staff.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Gedunker [B said:
TP[/B] thanks for the PM -- now I've got to figure out where the "reply" button is for PMs.
There doesn't appear to be one. It seems you have to use the "quote" key, which then automatically sets up a reply message.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
There doesn't appear to be one. It seems you have to use the "quote" key, which then automatically sets up a reply message.
Look at the top left and bottom left of the list of posts in the thread for the reply button. :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
NHPlanner said:
Look at the top left and bottom left of the list of posts in the thread for the reply button. :)
That's all very nice out in the Forums, but we were talking about the lack of a "reply" button in the Private Messaging area :)

NHPlanner

Staff member
Tranplanner said:
That's all very nice out in the Forums, but we were talking about the lack of a "reply" button in the Private Messaging area :)
Perhaps I should read more closely (and up until 5 mins ago....I hadn't used PM's yet with the new vBulletin.) :-$

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Finished updating all the templates.

Updating the language pack for consistency will be ongoing.

Working on Gallery integration Sunday.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Continuing to have problems with Gallery integration. I'm working with technical support at PhotoPost.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Anybody knows what that "plus" sign means?
It appears after some nicks in the User list in the forum main page.
Examples: Tranplanner+ ; Zoning Goddess+

NHPlanner

Staff member
SkeLeton said:
Anybody knows what that "plus" sign means?
It appears after some nicks in the User list in the forum main page.
Examples: Tranplanner+ ; Zoning Goddess+
Means the user is on your "buddy list" (see the bottom of the who's online page for a legend of symbols)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hits head against keyboard... :p
Thanks, I guess that was obvious!
Another cool thing that vb 3.0 has is the menu that pulls down when you click a Users nick in one of his/hers posts! :)