• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Vehicles For Sale...Not an Auto Dealer.

prudence

Cyburbian
Driving around town I was appalled at the volume of automobiles for sale along City streets and in commercial parkinbg lots. So, I thought to myself..."Self, you should do something about this."

Now, we have a number of Code provisions which would allow me to regulate the problem in a round-about way. I am looking for language in other Codes which address the issue. Remember, I am not looking to prohibit the sale of vehicles on single-family lot, just all the other districts. I do want to LIMIT the # of vehicles for sale on a SF property...say, one vehicle per parcel....

I am turning to the giant, throbbing Cyburbia brain for help...don't fail me.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
Yeah, we have this problem too. A collegue lives on a street with a guy who fixes up VWs to sell. He always has about 4 in his yard and then a bunch parked up and down the street.

Its a real headache for her. She calls code enforcement, but they can't/won't cite for vehicles that are registered and in working order.

However their visits have cut down on the # of cars he keeps.

I'd be interested to hear what the code options are.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I have been discussing this problem for months with the City Attorney. How do you handle the ones that really are not marked for sale. One guy keeps about 7 cars all the time. We have a boarded up Costal Mart with 9 cars for sale now. On public property they have to be moved every 24 hours, but we have nothing for private property.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Right now, there's a moratorium on new auto-related uses in town, including vehicle sales.

In the draft land development code, regarding "large item sales and rental," there's this line ...

"The unattended display of large items for sale in the public right-of-way, undeveloped parcels, or other private property that has not been approved for large item sales and rental, is prohibited in any district. "

Auto sales would be permitted subject to administrative review, and would require an administrative amendment to the underlying site plan, to define an inventory display and storage area. State law permits individuals to sell up to three personal vehicles a year.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Cowley - in my opinion, if he fixes up cars to sell - he is running an illegal business out of his home. It would be one thing if it was one or two, but it's like he's running a used car lot out in his yard.

We don't have too much a problem with residential properties. Our ordinance does require any vehicle that is in the front yard must be on an improved surface. That kind of helps limit the amount of cars for sale at one time - they can't park on the lawn, except for the side yard. This limits visibilty, so it is rarely done.

In our off-street parking section it states "The storage of merchandise, motor vehicles for sale, trucks or the repair of vehicles is prohibited." This prohibits cars for sale in parking lots, so this is rarely a problem.

Hmm.... I don't think this will help you, but here's how it would go down in our town....

When a new tenant is moving into a new location, they have to apply to our Building department for a Zoning Verification. The applicant has to submit what kind of business they will be running and what kinds of activities would be taking place on the site.

The next step in the approval process is the Planning Dept. We check the site for landscaping, lighting and parking and the Building Dept can't issue a Certificate of Occupancy or Building Permit until they get the hand off from planning.

If we had, say, an autobody shop that started selling used cars, they would receive an Order to Remedy from us (Planning) and could possibly have their C.O. revoked from Building, for non-compliance with approval. So ours is more proceedural than codal. if that makes sense.

prudence

Cyburbian
My concern is the regulation of private vehicles for sale on residential property.

EG. - Bob want to buy and new car. He must first sell his current car. Bob sticks a for sale sign on the car and parks it along the road in front of his home. Now, multiply Bob by 250...and the roadway changes to one with a higher traffic count...and all of these scenarios are occurring simultaneously.

boiker

Cyburbian
easy answer

if they have even 1 vehicle on site... it's a change of use.

if the use of the property is auto repair, and they start marking cars for sale....change of use.

if it's the back end of wal-marts parking lot...and people leave their cars for sale.....change of use. (it's easy to tell who is a customer of wal-mart and who is leaving their car for sale)

I put the responsibility to get rid of the for sale cars on the property owner. I havn't been challenged on it yet..

De Facto Used Car Lots

I've been researching this issue in Mustang, Oklahoma, and I have found some possibly useful wording: "All parking spaces must be paved on parcels that are not used for residential purposes. All vehicles in violation of this code will be towed." That seems to address our problem, which is people parking used cars for sale on the weekend on empty parcels of land abutting major thoroughfares. This comes from Norman, Oklahoma's codes.