• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Vermont - Entire state on 11 Most Endangered Places List

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
The entire state of Vermont has been put on the National Trust for Historic Preservation list of 11 Most Endangered Places - 2004 Thanks to, who else, but Wal Mart.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...u=/ap/20040524/ap_on_re_us/endangered_sites_2

And here's the National Trusts site:
http://www.nationaltrust.org/11Most/2004/vermont.html

Believe me I'd like to say something about Wal-Mart right now, the tamest being how much I hope the Walton Brothers will soon die. But I'm at work and besides, I'd probably be banned. But just say the word, Dan.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Sam's Law in One Post (or SLOP, for those of us enamored with acronyms).

I believe this is not Vermont's first trip to the NTHP's ten most endangered. Seems billboards were the ogre* behind the last one, but I am old and my short-term memory isn't so good anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

When the NTHP shines its spotlight like this I get a little agitated. There are local threats much more drastic than a wallyworld here and there (even in the bucolic green mountain state), but the trust tends to downplay them if they won't make the national evening news broadcasts and major news websites. But I have gone far enough ot, so I'll stop.

*Except to say that I took my kids to see Shrek2. Thumbs up!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
WHY oh God WHY do we continue to allow this monster to consume so much land, and give back so little.

SGB

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
WHY oh God WHY do we continue to allow this monster to consume so much land, and give back so little.
Because, as a society, we are conspicuous consumers and captitalists first. Environmentalists/New Urbanists/Commie Liberals second. B-)

And to think, Vermonters once feared that Act 250 (state environmental review law) and Act 200 (local planning enabling legislation) would end any economic development once and for all.

boiker

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
<snip> *Except to say that I took my kids to see Shrek2. Thumbs up!
[ot]Did you notice when Sherk was riding "Mongo" he tried to drink the Farbucks latte sign? All the patrons ran out of Farbucks and into the one across the street. Good stuff :)[/ot]

National Trust List... it's wise to respect and learn from our past... it's unwise to think that history is static.

Vermont is not a moment in history.. the state is a living history and in 50 years we'll all be clamoring to landmark all our Wal-Marts ;-) :p :-D

SGB

Cyburbian
Here's a NY Times article about Vermont's place on the list.

Trust officials blame the gigantic retailer, with its vast boxy warehouses, for squeezing out mom-and-pop operations and changing the character of Vermont.
And local elected leaders, local planning boards, regional planning commissions, etc. are all apparently blameless. :-E