• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Vertical Farming

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Anybody currently zoned to allow vertical farming in commercial/manufacturing zones? I'm about to amend our text to allow it. I'm looking at pretty standard issues as far as I can tell. If anybody has any advice or codes I can look at I'd appreciate it. I think I'm just going to be adding it as a permitted use, but I don't want to miss anything.

DVD

Cyburbian
I guess it depends on how vertical they go. Do they need lift equipment to harvest the stuff? I would still have no issue with it in a light industrial type zone. I don't know about commercial unless they actually sell direct to the customer and have that kind of traffic.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I guess it depends on how vertical they go. Do they need lift equipment to harvest the stuff? I would still have no issue with it in a light industrial type zone. I don't know about commercial unless they actually sell direct to the customer and have that kind of traffic.
That's my thinking. They are going to be supplying restaurants and grocers, but also sell in a kind of "in-house" market format once or twice a week for limited hours. The facility in question is an older warehouse that is located in a retail zone. I'm thinking that a site plan review would handle all the basics like parking and accessibility, transport in and out, etc. We'll have them set up for public restrooms for their retail area, probably a lot like a working dairy or cheese factory with a walk in front retail, you know? It seems simple, so I'm nervous.