• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

very interested

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I'm a senior seeking to attend grad school. I was considering architecture but I have stubled across Urban Design and Urban Planning. I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between the two. I'm also curious about the job market, what career opportunities are out there for someone with a degree in either and stability of the market. Are most professionals consultants?

Also, What schools are most reputable in this field? I'm highly considering UT Austin, Rice, Yale.

All your posts are really interesting. What is New Urbanization? I keep seeing that term....

Thanks!

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome!

From the Congress for the New Urbanism website:

"New Urbanism is an urban design movement that burst onto the scene in the late 1980s and early 1990s. New Urbanists aim to reform all aspects of real estate development. Their work affects regional and local plans. They are involved in new development, urban retrofits, and suburban infill. In all cases, New Urbanist neighborhoods are walkable, and contain a diverse range of housing and jobs. new Urbanists support regional planning for open space, appropriate architecture and planning, and the balanced development of jobs and housing. They believe these strategies are the best way to reduce how long people spend in traffic, to increase the supply of affordable housing, and to rein in urban sprawl. Many other issues, such as historic restoration, safe streets, and green building are also covered in the Charter of the New Urbanism , the movement's seminal document."

prudence

Cyburbian
Welcome...

That certainly is a lot of questions...SLOW DOWN. Let's start with the "hello world, it's me" and go from there.

Just kidding, of course...glad to see you have been lurking for a while (you don't work for the Feds, do you?!? Nevermind.).

Welcome :)

I'm no expert but I'll take a stab at briefly explaining the difference between the two. I believe that urban design and planning are interrelated but not mutually exclusive. In many aspects, urban planning requires good design of infrastructure, parks, bldgs, neighborhoods, etc.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Welcome

To help you out with your questions, the way that it was explained to me, is they are the same, except the urban design has a stronger design drafting type of back ground, and the urban planning has a strong problem solving and text writing background.

I know for myself, I am a planner, I do some GIS, some design work, some text work, some public speaking, some economic development, some community development, and there is always research.

I think that the role of the planner is not just doing one set thing, but playing many different parts (some all at once) to try to make a positive difference in the lives of people around us.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome. Planning and Design are inter-related and depending on your background and where you work, you may do both. Often you will need to be a landcape architecture backround to be employed as an urban designer in private firms. Municipalities, on the other hand, may not require that. The biggest aspect of being a planner, is being versatile.

jsoto3

I am a graduating architecture student (MArch) but I am an urban designer/planner at heart (not sure how this will pan out career wise). What do you planners think of the integration of the disciplines (landscape architects, architects, urban designers, urban planners, engineers)? Increasingly, it seems urban development is being produced by interdisciplanry teams and academic programs are merging. Urban design is now at the top of the agenda in most architecture circles. Good? Bad? Nothing new? Thoughts?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome to our cyber hang out feel free to wander around, get to know folks and ask questions and share your thoughts.

PG