• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

View out my front office door

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Someone with good eyes and a big monitor will be able to read the sign.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I even blew it up and cant read the sign.

BTW...you really are bored aren't you. I am, I think I'm going to go home. Its Mike Schmidt Bobble Head Night at the Phillies game, so I gotta cruise on down to the Vet to get me mine, fo sheezzy.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I'm guessing it's a liquor store?
Yep, that's a liquor store, all right. Until sometime in the early 80's (I believe), the great state of Iowa controlled all liqour sales. All of the liqour stores in the state had the same white letters on a blue background sign that read simply, "LIQOUR STORE." I remember those signs very well (some would say too well). After liqour sales became private, the State sold some of the stores to private liqour sellers, and some of those just left up the standard State-installed signs. There are a few of them around in my old haunts in Eastern Iowa, as well.

Do I have it right, Giff?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
DecaturHawk said:
Until sometime in the early 80's (I believe), the great state of Iowa controlled all liqour sales. All of the liqour stores in the state had the same white letters on a blue background sign that read simply, "LIQOUR STORE".
Liquor sales are still controlled by the province here. They have recently moved from a similiar generic "Liquor Store" motif to a more marketable format. The LCBO has recently opened an amazing new flagship store in an old railway station here in Toronto. If I have time, I'll look for a link.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
DecaturHawk said:

Do I have it right, Giff?
Yep the story is true. Here is the sad part. When the state got out of the liquor biz it laid of hundreds of workers. Because of state law these retail clerks had first crack at every state job. When I got my Wildlife biology degree, I was being beat out by these people for jobs with the DNR. That really sucked!