• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Violent populace in upstate New York

Maister

Chairman of the bored
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/crawl-to-brawl-200-person-scuffle-explodes-outside-upstate-ny-pub-sends-3-stabbing-vics-to-hospital/ar-BBTwHHt

Maybe not even newsworthy, but I suppose someone should mention that a 200 person melee erupted at an Irish pub in Rochester, NY.
Sure this is upstate New York we're talking about, and perhaps no one is much surprised to hear that this happened among a bunch of drunk and violent New Yorkers, but there you have it.
Was anyone here involved in the brawl? Did you score any good blows or takedowns?

We should probably ask LP, Dan, or dandy what they usually do to clean up afterwards when typical fights like this break out - do they spread sawdust on the floor during weekends to help soak up bodily fluids? Do area dentists offer 'frequent fighter' discounts?

Last edited:

DVD

Cyburbian
Yes, but what started the fight? Did someone order the last show of whiskey? Was it a discussion over football or soccer? I know the Irish like a good brawl, but there must be a reason.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Mrs. Bubba lived in Rochester from ages 2 weeks to eight years. There's an outside chance a relative of hers was involved.

One of the greatest personal anecdotes I've ever read on a message board is from a former Georgia resident (ex-pat living in Queens) about a massive brawl during the reception for a wedding he attended a few years back farther out on Long Island.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It's a bar in an off-campus student housing area near RIT, so ... I don't know. Rochester is like upstate New York's version of Grand Rapids -- fairly prosperous, more white collar, and solidly middle/upper middle class compared to the other Thruway cities. It's one of those "boring, but nice place to raise a family" kind of towns.

Here's an article in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle that describes the bar as a trouble spot. Looking around, it's the kind of place that's a bit lax about enforcing the drinking age.

Here's something I found in the RIT group on Reddit:

> There was an event, allegedly a rap battle or something. The promoter who organized it was responsible for another one in Gates that led to a shooting afterwards. I have heard that it allegedly started because one group was getting aggressive with the firefighters and they started fighting with them. One of the stab victims was a participant in the boy’s and girl’s club drive by shooting a few years back too. Doesn’t sound like a great crowd or situation.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Rochester is like upstate New York's version of Grand Rapids -- fairly prosperous, more white collar, and solidly middle/upper middle class compared to the other Thruway cities. It's one of those "boring, but nice place to raise a family" kind of towns....
Concerning G.R. I seem to recall a certain Cyburbian who once announced (after consuming his fourth adult beverage):
Dan said:
You know, Grand Rapids is the kinda place I'd want to stay if I ever get put into the Federal Witness Protection Program.
TRUE:smirk:

Big Owl

Cyburbian
"You know, Grand Rapids is the kinda place I'd want to stay if I ever get put into the Federal Witness Protection Program. "

That's needs to be included in a relocation/visitors guide. <Insert location here> is great place to live if you are ever placed in the Federal Witness Protection Program.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Hahahahahah IT WAS IN HENRIETTA TO BOOT!!! Not even Roc City proper, that's a suburb. This bar is literally in a strip mall, a stones throw from RIT. Not surprising given its reputation.

Roc may be a little more Middle Class than say Buffalo, Auburn, the 'Cuse or Utica but this shouldn't be surprising at all. Underage college kids, testosterone and booze = sh*t happens sometimes.

I actually really love Rochester as a city, its very very underrated as an Upstate city, I also love how Midwestern it (and Buffalo for that matter too) feel IRL.

Violence happens in WNY Cities daily, we just dont generally hear about in the media when it's po' folks are involved. 75% of Rochester is "the hood", most of the city proper outside of the Downtown and East Avenue corridor lives below the poverty line but I dont need to Plansplain that to Planners who have lived there :p Yes IMO, the presence of RIT, the UofR and the skeletons of Bausch + Laumb, Xerox as well as Kodak's Corpse do provide some of those middle-class jobs but we're still talking Post-Industrial Western New York here. I feel like pre-2000, the image of White Collar Rochester was more true. They say ROC stands for Realest of Cities for a reason ;)

Reactions: Dan

Veloise

Cyburbian
"You know, Grand Rapids is the kinda place I'd want to stay if I ever get put into the Federal Witness Protection Program. "

That's needs to be included in a relocation/visitors guide. <Insert location here> is great place to live if you are ever placed in the Federal Witness Protection Program.
We have a FB group called The Salon which follows local developments. Along with the NEVERENDING castle-dissing, we always share our fair burg's attainment of inclusion on yet another list.

Mebbe I'll offer them a reason to become Cybubs and use that as bait. :up: