• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

visited but never posted

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Hello planners and non-planners

I am mendelman and write this from the great sprawls of Metro Chicago's northwest corridor. I work in one of the aout-dependent 'burbs between Metra rail radials. I originally am from Michigan. I grew up in the small, big town of Alpena right on Lake Huron. Went to school in Ann Arbor at UM. Met My wife there, we got married and moved to Chicago. Lucky my wife is attending law school downtown, so we live as close to Lake Michigan as possible, outside of the Rogers Park neighborhood.

Lastly, the fundamentals of plannng are desperately important to the functioning of human civilization, but we must not forget and strive to remind all that there are absolute truths when prioritizing what to regulate. Relativistic values are not allowed.

On that note,
Can someone tell me those thruths???

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia! Let me know where I can send you your complimentary Cyburbia raccoon.

BKM

Cyburbian
Welcome. Despite the truth in jordanb's answer, I would look to El Guapo and our Dear Leader, Dan for the only permissable truth :).

Do you actually live IN Rogers Park? I lived in West Ridge/West Rogers Park (Western at Fargo) for a semester years ago. I really like Chicago as a city (midwestern climate and topography-that's another issue :) )

el Guapo

Capitalist
Three truths I offer ye:
1. Never piss off an armed drunk.
2. Honesty is the best policy.
3. The nature of mankind is both to destroy and to build.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Truth

disregard the truth in the thread listing. I posted when I should have replied. sorry

let me repeat what was in my mistake.

Wendell Cox's "truth" is correct but agenda driven and one dimensional

Thanks for the happy "Welcome", everyone and Alan

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Rogers Park

To BKM,

I don't live in Rogers Park. I was simply using it as a reference point when determining proximity to Lake Michigan. I live in Lincoln Park, Clark and Dickens.

Before anyone chastises(sp) me as a Yuppie, DINK, trixie, frat boy, or lame-o, I must remind/inform those that apart from the neighborhood's "trendiness", it is one of the most functional high to med-high density urban neighborhoods I have experienced so far. You really do not need a car. Though the rents are a bit steep.

Who-ha

BKM

Cyburbian
Lincoln Park IS a lovely neighborhood. No need to apologize.
And, you ain't seen rents or real estate prices until you've been in the "land of the $200,000 twenty year old townhouses 45 miles from the city"

:)

Nothing wrong, even, gasp, with being a "yuppie" (as long as said yuppie has a sense of humor about it) :)

jordanb

Cyburbian
Wendell Cox's "truth" is correct but agenda driven and one dimensional
Well, first, I was being sarcastic. :p There is very few here who would believe any of Wendell's lies. Secondly, they are, in fact, lies.

Here's an example of his lies that I stumbled across a bit ago, I was using the Illinois Where Workers Work data for a personal project, when I noticed that it didn't seem to fit with data that I saw (and accepted at the time) at Wendell's website. So I checked it again. Sure enough, Wendell reports this:

1990 Chicago Metro employment: 3,870,378
1990 Chicago CBD employment: 336,313
1990 Chicago CBD share of total: 8.69%

The Illinois government divides the CBD into a "CBD" and "Outer Buisness Ring" (which I was told consisted the near neighborhoods to the west and especially to the north of the river), if we combine those we get this:

1990 Chicago Metro employment: 3,059,509
1990 Chicago CBD employment: 498,694
1990 Chicago CBD share of total: 16.30%

That's almost twice as high as Wendell's number!

I don't have time to check the other cities, and I just stumbled across that, but I think it shows that every number on Wendell's site is suspect, not just of being a half-truth, but being an outright fabrication.

What he does is generate huge amounts of "pseudo-data" with no attribution, and makes enough of it be correct enough that people quit questioning it, all the while peppering it with complete fallacies. Then his auto-promoting friends and even innocent but uninformed researchers, find his site in google and cite his bogus information until everyone accepts it as being truth.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Wendell

Thanks for the clarification on Cox's data. I didn't get the sarcasm, as I am new to this forum. I still need to learn how to gage everyone's sarcasm.

Re: Wendell

mendelman said:
Thanks for the clarification on Cox's data. I didn't get the sarcasm, as I am new to this forum. I still need to learn how to gage everyone's sarcasm.
Sarcasm, irony and everything else that is mistaken for seriousness runs rampant on these boards. Good luck with the deciphering. ;)

boiker

Cyburbian
hey mendelman... don't i know you...

oh ya.. your the jerk in the cube over with internet!

pete-rock

Cyburbian
The truth is...

We're practically neighbors!

I live on the South Side and work in those "auto-dependent 'burbs between METRA rail radials" that you speak of -- better known as Buffalo Grove.

Welcome neighbor!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: The truth is...

pete-rock said:
We're practically neighbors!

I live on the South Side and work in those "auto-dependent 'burbs between METRA rail radials" that you speak of -- better known as Buffalo Grove.

Welcome neighbor!
I lived in Buffalo Grove for less than a year. It convinced me to move out of state. Sorry.

boiker

Cyburbian
auto dependent burbs

mendelman and I work in the burb my tag mentions.

OFFTOPIC:

hey.. pete, i have a real estate agent trying to woo me with the wonders of indoor mini golf... isn't there one in buffalo grove on apatasik? or is that in Lincolnwood.

I think it's called Putting Edge?

Maroon

Cyburbian
Hey Mendel

Nice to see you on the board.

Nice to see you've been down to Hyde Park.

Hope you're enjoying the Trixies. Not that C. is a trixie, or that living in Lincoln Park has any affect on your lameness. ;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I love reunions. What school experience can we wax nostolgic about while fixiating on how much we hated some other aspect.

Hello, Bruce!

Last edited:

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
mendelman said:
I love reunions. What school experience can we wax nostolgic about while fixiating on how much we hated some other aspect.

Hello, Bruce!
Did you take any of the infamous real estate classes instructed by that local developer guy? Definitely some awkward moments and ridiculous comments from that man. What about UP 505?! Such a joy [NOT!], but now, as a planner at a consulting firm, I know exactly why that class was taught that way. Rather pedantic, but it has stuck with me and has helped me with some of my work with clients.

Cheers,

Hoo Ha!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mendelman.....

Belated welcome.

I think Chicago is cool. I love Alpena and anyplace north of Grayling.....especially the Upper Peninsula.

Almost bought a business in Alpena (actually Hubbard Lake) about six (6) years ago. Business was "cooking the books" so I didn't jump.

If I did I would probably be NOT MARRIED, NOT WASHED, NOT LIVING IN A HOME (refrigerator box on Michigan Avenue).

Have enjoyed your thread so far.

Bear Up North

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Re: Re: The truth is...

Michael Stumpf said:
I lived in Buffalo Grove for less than a year. It convinced me to move out of state. Sorry.
BG just happens to be where the gig is. I work for a consulting firm that does work all over Chicagoland.

BG does leave much to be desired.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
to Bear Up North

Well, someone that has been to Alpena. Its too bad you didn't buy that business, Hubbard Lake is a beautifull body of water if it weren't for all the darn boaters and wave-runners.

One of the few things I like about local tv stations here in Chicago, is that when they show the regional weather for the Great Lakes, they show Alpena's weather.