• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Vitamins, Supplements & Herbal Stuff

Seabishop

Cyburbian
What type of vitamins, supplements, and herbal stuff do you folks take? Is there a benefit to any of the products in the vitamin aisle? There's got to be some of you mashing up imported roots every morning with stories to tell.

SGB

Cyburbian
I simply take a multi-vitamin each morning.

Nothing like living life on cutting edge of holistic preventative medicine...... ;)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I also take a multi-vitamin each morning; I don't have much interest in the holistic health stuff.

I take ... more stuff than I can probably remember.

Oil of Oregano to keep my lungs clear (it kills certain things that like to grow in the lungs and I can tell when I forget to take it).

B-complex every day because the hot baths and other heat treatments burn up the watersoluble vitamins and I get "twitchy feet syndrome" when I don't take my B-complex. I actually read an article about the twitchy feet thing and I know this is not all in my head, thanks.

Cranberry extract because my mucous membranes don't work right and scientific research has discovered why this works so well as a home remedy for urinary tract infections: it makes it difficult for germs to stick to mucous membranes. My son also takes this every day.

I drink chamomile tea every night because it is a highly effective natural antibiotic.

And I take so much other stuff that I think I would get arrested if I made a serious attempt to catalog it all. :p

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The only natural supplements I take are caffeine and nicotine.

BKM

Cyburbian
caffeine, aspirine (given the way I eat, any help for the arteries they can get).

I should start taking a multivitamin. If I can find an affordable liquid vitamin formula, because I simply cannot swallow properly those huge horse pills.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I used to take herbs on a regular basis to treat my errr...."glaucoma." Now I just take a multi-vitamin. ;-)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Gedunker said:
Ditto....though I've cut out the nicotine (yay!)

BKM said:
caffeine, aspirine (given the way I eat, any help for the arteries they can get).
Well then, it is time to start your ritual Daily Nightcap -- for your Health, of course! :b:

The Irish One

I ground up flax seed in a coffee grinder and put it in a smothie -or just yogurt.
I'm big on a cup of green tea and Chamomile (no honey, no sugar)
Valerian root tea once in a while.
Massive quantities of fresh vegetables and fruits and assorted herbs.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I am unapologetic fiend for caffeine.
Add dashs of cinnamon and a serving of Kretschmer's toasted wheat germ to my cereal.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
If you add a Bloody Mary to that... you have a snowboarder breakfast...

As for me, I take a Multi Vitamin, Protein Shake with createin and gluteamine. Then I have a cup of coffee, then I mix it up though out the day with herbal tea such as ginseng and Echinacea along with Raspberry Ice tea (addictive stuff ice tea is...)

JNL

Cyburbian
I used to take a multivitamin every day but then the brand I liked was recalled due to the Australian company putting dodgy additives in some of their products 8-!

I had been recommended to take a multivitamin to get my iron levels up, as in a multi you get vit. C which helps absorb iron. My iron levels are fine now (they are tested every time I donate blood) so I don't take any multi-vits any more. It bugs me when multi-vits are marketed as a way of getting the stuff you need that you're not getting in your diet. Hello? Change your diet. I know some people need some extra assistance, as I did with my iron, but for the average Joe you should be able to get all the vitamins and minerals you need through a healthy balanced diet.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Add me to that list plus vitamin "AA".
I don't consider rice, hops, barley malt supplemental but rather the staff of life:-D

Richmond Jake

Gedunker said:
I don't consider rice, hops, barley malt supplemental but rather the staff of life:-D
Agreed, all the essential ingredients of life. And did you know that red wine contains anti-viral qualities?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
? which vegetables do you
cook - steamed, sauted, baked
or
eat raw ?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
Did you know that red wine contains anti-viral qualities?
That must be why all those Eye-Talians never have heart attacks...

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
My dad just got diagnosed with cancer, so I'm doing some research on what he should be taking that will naturally help (along with the strong chemo and radiation). The problem is the doctors are frowning big time and have told us NO NO NO, which doesn't make sense to me. I am under the impression that herbs cannot hurt you - you can't have too much in your system (to kill you).

ANY ADVISE??

RandomPlanner... said:
My dad just got diagnosed with cancer, so I'm doing some research on what he should be taking that will naturally help (along with the strong chemo and radiation). The problem is the doctors are frowning big time and have told us NO NO NO, which doesn't make sense to me. I am under the impression that herbs cannot hurt you - you can't have too much in your system (to kill you).

ANY ADVISE??
Actually, herbs can hurt you as they can be very powerful drugs. But, having said that, when my sister was in chemo (the first time) she did a bunch of research and took a LOT of supplements and it is one of the reasons she did so well. Most doctors are idiots on that topic: if you are ill, they tell you it is all your fault for not eating right, not exercising enough, and not taking your vitamins. If you want to pro-actively do something to support your healing process, they pat you on the head and say "whatever makes you feel (emotionally) better, honey" :cool: and act like only they have any power to really heal you and anything you do is utterly irrellevent. (Jerks. That isn't even logical.)

I am not comfortable posting random thoughts to the web on "what might help". But, basically, agressive nutritional support matters and there are some herbs that seem to help. A naturopath might be useful. My sister is working with one in conjunction with the "traditional" medicine. A good naturopath can be a wonderful addition to your treatment approach. Frankly, at the moment, you don't sound like you know enough to come up with an approach on your own that wouldn't be simply dangerous. PM me if you want a few suggestions that I won't post to the web. (But I may not get back to you until after the conference.)

Follow the $$

Cyburbian
NO NO NO. I have a friend who just went through chemo treatments. She was specifically told not to take supplements as the chemo is designed to destroy your immune system and the cancer cells in it. The last thing you want to do is fight the chemo and keep it from doing its work.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Follow the $$ said:
NO NO NO. I have a friend who just went through chemo treatments. She was specifically told not to take supplements as the chemo is designed to destroy your immune system and the cancer cells in it. The last thing you want to do is fight the chemo and keep it from doing its work.
which is exactly what the doctors have told us. of course, my (herbolist) cousin has disagreed with that and is doing research for us now on the 'truth' of the subject.

Interestingly, our oncologist has said there are basically no food restrictions, so he can eat whatever he wants. In order to be safe, I might look at what vitamins are in specific foods... (you can imagine there's a bunch of conflicting information - even in my head).

RandomPlanner... said:
which is exactly what the doctors have told us. of course, my (herbolist) cousin has disagreed with that and is doing research for us now on the 'truth' of the subject.

Interestingly, our oncologist has said there are basically no food restrictions, so he can eat whatever he wants. In order to be safe, I might look at what vitamins are in specific foods... (you can imagine there's a bunch of conflicting information - even in my head).
The oncologist is a moron. Some foods have very powerful effects on the body. Acting like you shouldn't use supplements (made from herbs and sometimes things found in ordinary foods) and then saying "no dietary restrictions" isn't even logically consistent. Many serious medical conditions are treated very effectively through diet -- like diabetes, hypoglycemia, high blood pressure, gout, etc. -- and if the diet is really good, it minimizes the drugs people need for those conditions. A doctor who acts like what you eat doesn't matter is one I would look upon with enormous suspicion.

You might seriously consider doing some research on what places treat this kind of cancer and if the distance isn't too far, consider taking him someplace with a good reputation rather than whatever happens to be "local". When my sister was treated for 'normal' breast cancer a few years, she was very grateful to be living in Atlanta. There were people who were coming from Florida and the like to get treatment there at Emory. My sister was horrified by the stories they had about what cancer treatment was like where they lived. When my sister developed a much more aggressive form of breast cancer last year and Emory wasn't handling it well, she switched to Duke and flew every week for chemo. She almost certainly would be dead if that were not true: a friend of hers got the same diagnosis around the same time and died last July, about 2 or 3 months after they were both diagnosed. My sister is still alive and she works a full time job while still undergoing radiation (she has no choice: she has the medical insurance in the family).

My sister's present oncologist is really brilliant and he had her bring in a list of the supplements she was using, gave her feedback on which ones would interfere with what he was doing and which wouldn't, and also sometimes gave her non-drug (herbal) options for addressing a problem that came up during the course of chemo. You won't find that with very many doctors but it DOES exist.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I stared taking Omega-3 fish oil in January. It's amazing stuff. Once you get past the fishy taste (they say it's lemon flavored) it does so much good for your body- joints, muscles, cell repair, brain tissue, sleep, immune system, mood, skin health, etc.

I also eat lots of fruit and vegetables, but still take a multi-vitamin since it's hard to get everything you need each day.

Oh, and the daily dose of caffeine, too.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I am at the center of the dietary supplement universe today. I just left a trade show with probably 40,000 square feet dedicated to that industry. Some of it looks credible. Others are a serious stretch of the imagination. I do agree with MZ, though. :-o Supplements can have a powerful effect. Know that before taking them.

Yep- I think MZ is right- I would definately find a good naturopath to help get through the process... I think that most general physicians are clueless when it comes to how the body can be and must be entirely cared for in order to get better.

As far a my regime goes: caffeine, multi, xtra calcium/magnesium (I'm vegan), phosphatidyl serine (memory stuff) and Flordix (liquid herbs for iron supplement).

Also,exercise, sunshine, fresh air, yoga, positive thoughts, focusing on important things-family, having fun, laughing, staying away from negative people. :)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
This Bear has never been one (1) of those "herbal" people. Wife Katie, OTOH, is a firm believer in the sort of thing.

When I was released from the University of Michigan Cencer Center after my nearly-month-long stay for the bone marrow transplant, two (2) different doctors went over details for my home care. Both strongly said that NO herbal-type things should be taken during the recoup period.

The only med that they put me on is to prevent shingles. Shingles are very common with folks with supressed or non-existent immune systems (me :-c ) so I have to take this drug twice a day for a year.

I take a multi-vitamin, coffee, twinkees ;-) , etc.

Bear

When pregnant - I stick to my prescription pre-natal with an extra 25mg of B6 for morning sickness. I drop the B6 when I'm done puking, and stick with the prenatal through nursing, but add fish oil.

When not pregnant: a multi, a B complex, E, C and fish oil.

and I try to get at least 5 servings of fruits/veggies daily.

Richmond Jake

Bump

My new keys to a longer and healthier life.

DSC00762_2_.jpg

Anyone else change their supplement intake lately?

Planning Fool

Cyburbian
I take Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin C, and a multi-vitamin. Keeps the immune system strong and keeps the energy level up to make it through the long hours of work, including night meetings, Planning Commission, etc. and an avg. of 4 days of weight training in the gym.

Flying Monkeys

Cyburbian
My new keys to a longer and healthier life.

Anyone else change their supplement intake lately?
I have taken the fish oil for years...I started because of joint aches (early arthritis)and this stuff really works. But I want to warn you about the fish oil you buy...make sure you are buying the good stuff. READ the ingredients. Go for pure... I found a difference in the good stuff vs. the generic Kmart type brand.

:-cDoes that make me a fish oil snob?!?:-c

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I freeze my fish oil, that way I don't burp it up.

Jen

Cyburbian
You all are behind the times, its time for your Xango shooter! mangosteen is the new elixir of the new millenium!:-c;-)

My friends are on the Xango kick and frankly they annoy me!

I eat a multi, and drink my omega-3 in OJ

I also lurve sardines :p

KSharpe

Cyburbian
I'm of the opinion that if you are eating a balanced diet, most of these supplements are a waste of money. In terms of cancer and whether you should take supplements, I vote for obeying the doctor. I respect them and their professional education and experience- and there will always be people who think they know better and who make things much worse for themselves. You can go on the internet and find the most bizarre claims in the world for how this vitamin cured their cancer, etc. I was just diagnosed with MS, and I'm not going down that path.

I don't like taking anything, unless prescribed by a doctor. For the first time in my life, I had to have a prescription filled. I'm glad that I don't need it anymore.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I already take a small prescribed pharmacy so I don't generally take anything else. Just eat lots of fruits, veggies, and an otherwise good diet. My coworker chokes down about 15 vitamin/supplement pills before lunch, then eats crap. It's not appetizing.

I have taken the fish oil for years...I started because of joint aches (early arthritis)and this stuff really works. But I want to warn you about the fish oil you buy...make sure you are buying the good stuff. READ the ingredients. Go for pure... I found a difference in the good stuff vs. the generic Kmart type brand.

:-cDoes that make me a fish oil snob?!?:-c
You're absolutely right. I don't even take fish oil - I've switched to flax, just because a pharmacist friend sufficiently skeeved me out about fish oil from questionable sources.

zman

Cyburbian
Multi for men (All Day Energy formula)
Fish oil
Chromium
Calcium (not a milk drinker)

Flying Monkeys

Cyburbian
Doesn't eating fish (especially fatty fish like salmon and tuna) alleviate the need to take fish oil? If so, I should be fine. Do you not like fish?
I love fish...I catch them and grill them and eat them.... But I think the fish oil is concentrated (500 mg) and is more than you would get from eating fish two or three times a week. I think eating fish frequently will give you the heart smart factor, but it does not lubricate the joints the way the concentrated oil does.

<burp> tastes like fish!

SuperPenguin

Cyburbian
This Penguin doesn't eat nearly enough fish. His primary meat source is That Other Flightless Bird, Chicken. :D

I'm trying to remember to take my multivitamin, green tea extract, and glucosamine/chondroitin (for the creaky old joints). I'm not so good with the remembering, though. I need that other thing. For the memory. What's it called...? :-c

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
This Penguin doesn't eat nearly enough fish. His primary meat source is That Other Flightless Bird, Chicken. :D

I'm trying to remember to take my multivitamin, green tea extract, and glucosamine/chondroitin (for the creaky old joints). I'm not so good with the remembering, though. I need that other thing. For the memory. What's it called...? :-c
Ummm....gingko biloba?

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Reopened

I had a routine blood test recently, and I just received a note in the mail from my doctor's office saying that the test revealed a low Vitamin D level. The doctor wants me to start taking Vitamin D supplements and get re-tested in a few months.

I've never heard of a Vitamin D deficiency. As some of you know, I don't eat meat, but I do eat plenty of dairy products and fish. Any idea what might cause a low level of Vitamin D? Or could it be an error on the part of the lab?