• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

Vitamins, Supplements & Herbal Stuff

kms

Cyburbian
I had a routine blood test recently, and I just received a note in the mail from my doctor's office saying that the test revealed a low Vitamin D level. The doctor wants me to start taking Vitamin D supplements and get re-tested in a few months.

I've never heard of a Vitamin D deficiency. As some of you know, I don't eat meat, but I do eat plenty of dairy products and fish. Any idea what might cause a low level of Vitamin D? Or could it be an error on the part of the lab?

I had the same diagnosis yesterday. I don't know what causes it, but the doctor said that the deficiency makes people feel tired and achy.

I, too, eat lots of dairy products. Apparently not enough. Maybe it's age-related. :-c

Otis

Cyburbian
I had a routine blood test recently, and I just received a note in the mail from my doctor's office saying that the test revealed a low Vitamin D level. The doctor wants me to start taking Vitamin D supplements and get re-tested in a few months.

I've never heard of a Vitamin D deficiency. As some of you know, I don't eat meat, but I do eat plenty of dairy products and fish. Any idea what might cause a low level of Vitamin D? Or could it be an error on the part of the lab?

Lack of sunshine is often a culprit. Only known cure is to move to someplace sunny. Be sure to have your doctor give you a prescription for living in Florida (clear it with ZG first, though).

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

Vitamin D deficiency in it's severe form is more commonly known as rickets. The best way to get Vitamin D is sitting out in the sun. The combination of living in a colder climate where you are bundled up a good part of the year and the increasing use of sunscreen means that many people are marginally deficient. Even though dairy is fortified with Vitamin D it's not enough to reach the levels your body needs. There are two main types...D2 which is found in food and not as efficiently absorbed and D3 which your skin makes and more efficiently absorbed. Here's a good article http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/are-you-getting-enough-vitamin-d

kms

Cyburbian
I work outside, in the sun, when it's sunny. All year. That's what's puzzling, and why I think it may be age-related. I am getting close to THE CHANGE. 8-!

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I think it may be age-related. I am getting close to THE CHANGE. 8-!

Me too. I haven't been feeling tired and achy, though. I'll check out Kj's link.

Well, when it's snowing and 20 degrees outside, of course I don't get much sunshine this time of year. :( No offense to my Florida friends, but please don't make me move there! ;)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Turn off the World of Warcraft, shut down the computer, leave the basement, and get outside.

That should help with the Vitamin D. ;)

Coragus

Cyburbian
GNC makes a vitamin supplement product called something like Performance for Men. I take two big pills every morning, but I haven't had any muscle pain from working out or running since I started.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
These days I take B-1, a multi-vitamin, a potasium and phosphate powder, and folic acid. I have the joy of seeing my doc next week for the first time since turning "over 40" so I can't wait to see what drugs he tries to push on me. Oh... and "the finger". Am I the only gay man that hates that?

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Im getting real tired of my doctor trying to always prescribe more and more medications. wtf

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Milk Thistle WORKS people! That stuff is great for the liver!

I probably posted this already... A few years ago, I had a doctor tell me I had a "rock star liver". I still don't know if that is good or bad.