• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Volunteer work

JNL

Cyburbian
AIB Budgie..

Here's a chance to discuss volunteer work you have done in your community. This is NOT a competition, but rather a chance to learn a bit more about, and maybe be inspired by, some of your fellow Cyburbanites.

So, what volunteer work have you done? And/or, what are you thinking of doing?

I am new to it myself but found I really enjoyed being a volunteer marshall at a women's triathlon recently. I am thinking of becoming a Youthline counsellor which is basically being a telephone counsellor for young people to call when they need someone to talk to about problems/issues/worries, and act as a point of referral to other services if necessary. Shifts are only 2.5 hours 3x a month in the evening. 10 weeks of training though!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I havent done anything lately, but in the recent past I have done warehouse work for a local food pantry, have volunteered for the local chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis foundation staffing events, and did some fund raising for the AIDS Resource Center.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
We are currently serving as foster parents for an extremely neurotic cat for the Feral Cat Foundation. Having just cleaned up another "expression" of his issues, I am not sure I'd recommend this job.

The best time of our lives was last summer's volunteer work: taking 45 days to serve as wilderness rangers in an area of national forest that would otherwise have had virtually no Forest Service presence all summer.

jestes

Cyburbian
Over the last several years I have had several opportunities to volunteer in my community. Among them are:

• Serving as a team leader to raise money and build a handicap accessible playground
  • Serving on the local YMCA Board and as Chairman 1 year
  • Serving on the local school district's education foundation, currently serving as treasurer
  • Serving as Chairman of our local "Friends of Scouting" fundraising dinner
  • Volunteer on two annual downtown festivals, I am serving as Chairman of both this year
  • Serving as a member of the United Way funds distribution committee
  • Serving on our local Parenting Center's Federal Programs Advisory Committee

I have also served in my church in a variety of capacities including Administrative Board Chairman, Growth and Development Committee Chairman, Usher, Sunday School Teacher, Nursery worker, etc.

Again, as stated in the beginning of this thread, this is not to boast. Each opportunity has been a learning experience and often times has been quite humbling. One thing that I have learned is that the more volunteer work that you do, the more you are asked to do. It is real easy to overload yourself if not careful.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Before Grad school - Volunteer EMT/Firefighter
During Grad school - Co State Parks - Trails Program

Since moving to this fair city -
Christian Life Center - Thanksgiving Dinner preparation/cooking about 2,000 meals that's is delivered to the needy.
Greenway - trail monitor (really tough making me ride my bike or walk ;-) )
Solid Waste Management District - various community recycling days.
Emergency Management Agency - weather spotter
mix/blend between my job and personal interests - I am staff for the EOC and serve on the LEPC (Local Emergency Planning Committee under SARA Title III).
even have a radio and call sign.
Was a Boy Scout Leader - Unit Commissioner and Merit Badge counselor. I am an Eagle Scout after all.
Judge for the American Trails website contest.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm not the best at volunteering (at least on a regular basis). I think it has to do with my job right now, and how volatile the night meetings are (I have meetings at different times, on different days... other than Fridays). So I usually end up doing short term projects on a volunteer basis.

As an example, I used to volunteer for L.A. area conservancy on reviewing proposed plans and subdivisions for comment to the County/City of LA. I have done a bunch of those one-day beach clean ups, river valley clean ups, etc. Also, I enjoy working on playground assembly projects (I have done this about 5 or 6 times). There is a weekend coming up in our neighbourhood that will have a playground installation project, and I'll likely volunteer for that if we still have the weekend open. :)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Cub Scout leader
Soccer coach
Have also volunteered to help with events at my mom's church
State director for FL Planning & Zoning Assoc. (until they ticked me off)
Volunteer for events at my son's school

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I'm not a volunteer to any organization but I help everday people I see on the street who are in need of assistance. The last person I helped was a lady who could barely walk due to cancer in her leg. She missed her connecting bus which usually had a group of friends she rode with to help her and was late for work at 6 in the morning. So she got on the bus I was taking to connect with the train. I had to hold her arm and make sure she didn't fall getting on and off the bus and down into the subway.

I use to give to the homeless and semi-homeless, but that has changed over the past year. Seeing people spend their SSI check at the beginning of the month on crap and then breaking your balls for change really got me mad. If I know a person is really homeless, I'll buy them a drink and usually a sub as we hang out and talk on a bench. But lately its been to cold for that.

kms

Cyburbian
Children's liturgy leader at church
Cub Scout pack newsletter coodinator
Was on borough rec board (until they ticked me off)
Search committee for school principal
Parish Council
Volunteered for Soil Conservation Service
Volunteered for my current employer

Right now, my volunteering is self-serving and convenient - since I have to take the kids places, I might as well volunteer for their interests.

As far as volunteering for SCS; that opened the door to the jobs I held since college.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Group leader for my local Alcoholic Anonymous group.
Chaparone for local troubled teen girls home.

There's more, much more.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Group leader for my local Alcoholic Anonymous group.
Chaparone for local troubled teen girls home.

There's more, much more.

Allright Budgie, good for you, I was wondering when you where getting on the wagon. oh man, lmfao

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Most of my volunteer work seems to be within the profession, to a number of state organizations. Other than that, I will occasionally show up for a trail building program or prairie restoration work day.

In part because I was sort of an "old fashioned" homemaker, I have essentially had a "volunteer career" that actually goes back more than 20 years to at least age 16:

In high school, I helped tutor English as a Second Language for immigrant parents. And as a member of Mu Alpha Theta, I tutored math for free after school once or twice a week. I won't bother to try to remember all the clubs and crap I was in.

As a military wife, I did about 15 years as a very active member of Army Family Support Groups. I recieved training packets, at least one recognition certificate of some type, and loads of experience in various types of work -- hostess, "help desk" functions, point of contact, wrote and published newsletters (for which I recieved a training packet), etc.

When my kids were in public school, I did a fair amount of volunteer work for the schools -- especially the brief period when they were both in school. I did layouts in part of the year book one year, helped out when they were administering eye test, acted as hostess and such for parties, and so on -- much the same kind of work I did for Army FSG's, actually.

After I began homeschooling, I did volunteer work related to that -- moderated a list for homeschoolers, which lead to an offer to do more and I ended up being list owner on half a dozen lists and worked closely with the founder who was wanting to move from "voluntary health and welfare organization" status to "tax deductible 503c Charitable Organization" status. Interesting stuff and very cutting edge but it never did come to fruition. I don't know the whole story because, not long after "lack of energy" and an impending move forced me to quit (very reluctantly, I might add), well, I started the whole Fun Life Detour of being bedridden and hanging out in medical hell, yadda yadda.

I did an internship with a homeless shelter during my trip through Medical Hell as part of my requirement for a class and I never stop showing up to do stuff for them. I was up there earlier tonight, actually. I do some pro bono consulting for a community activist friend of mine in New Mexico and my homeschooling website is kind of "volunteer work" too: I am trying to get that stuff up on the web in part so I don't outright abandon the online homeschooling community as I do less and less there and more that is career-related. That may not work out exactly as fantasized but it is nice to be able to say "See X page on my website" and make a FEW more comments rather than reinvent the wheel every single time I open my mouth. :-D

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I volunteer my time by working with High School kids as a mentor and core member with the Life Teen Program at my Church, (it takes about 8 hours a week) and I also give free ski or snowboard lessons to kids who can not afford an instructor.

It is not much... but it gives me a chance to be a big kid.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I've been really bad about not volunteering over the past couple of years. New jobs, moving, relationships...I guess I've just been a little self involved as of late, which is not like me considering that I used to voluneer a great deal of time. I was involved with Habitat for Humanity (one of my favorite charities), helped out at the local Academy of Science science hub while in college (nerd), was a Big Brother for a little hellion kid, and helped out with the local Boy Scout Troop (as an Eagle Scout like JNA, I was just doing my duty).

Maybe I'll start doign some good works again....like offering free mammograms to college girls. ;-)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Former alternate Zoning Board member in my hometown (didn't seek reappointment due to conflicts with work night meetings)
Been on the APA chapter executive committee for the past 6 years (in capacity of both webmaster and state director)
Served on the NH Planners Association Executive committee for 5 years (Interim past president [long story], Public Information Officer, and NNECAPA ex-officio)
Coached a women's softball team last summer
Did some Habitat for Humanity work in the past as well.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Most of my volunteer work was done back home in Oklahoma.
Chamber of Commerce,
the local theatre board,
YMCA board,
work with abused kiddos (teenage girls),
etc.

I would like to get involved with the wildlife rescue organization here. Helping animals is what I'd really like to do...but if I tried the Humane Society or something like that, I'd end up taking them all home with me!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I used to volunteer for an organization that assisted the blind. I'd deliver special receivers that would broadcast a frequency put out by this organization where they read books etc. over the air. I've also had a few jobs at Group Homes for developmentally delayed adults, and worked as an on-call "Mental Health Counselor," which was a very strange experience. Recently, I've just been "volunteering" to raise my kids with the occassionl work related board. ;)

I really want to do Habitat for Humanity sometime - do you really need no homebuilding or carpentry experieince?

Floridays

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I used to volunteer for an organization that assisted the blind. I'd deliver special receivers that would broadcast a frequency put out by this organization where they read books etc. over the air. I've also had a few jobs at Group Homes for developmentally delayed adults, and worked as an on-call "Mental Health Counselor," which was a very strange experience. Recently, I've just been "volunteering" to raise my kids with the occassionl work related board. ;)

I really want to do Habitat for Humanity sometime - do you really need no homebuilding or carpentry experieince?

Actually one of my co-workers is very involved with H for H. They utilitize his planning experience to obtain properties and all of the stuff (platting, site planning, affordable housing, etc) that goes along with it. So don't worry about having to pick up a hammer! You can definitely be a valuable resource.

The Irish One

I recently did the first of two workshops to be eligible for the Literacy program. It's a six month commitment and I'm pretty excited about it.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Now: I put about 5-10 hours a week into my local Boy Scout Troop. I also pay taxes in huge chunks of my money that support federal and state programs and I give directly to individual charities that I feel are worthy. My "giving theme" is building young people with character. Remember this is alot for a Fascist Republican. It might even get me in trouble if the rest of the heartless gang find out.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Volunteer carpenter for minor housing rehab blitz program every spring (10 years)
Design committee for our local main street program (13 years)
Board member of our enterprise zone (1 year)
Former soccer coach (6 years, but do not want to coach my own kids now)

JNL

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
I also give free ski or snowboard lessons to kids who can not afford an instructor.

Cool! Will you give lessons to big kids too?? (like, 24 yr-olds who want to learn to snowboard) :-D

biscuit - I reckon it does. I'm a regular too, though I get a lot of stick from mates hassling me about track marks! (like: Oh yeah, you got that from donating blood?...right...)

JNL

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
Volunteer carpenter for minor housing rehab blitz program every spring (10 years)

That sounds pretty cool! A neat way to combine something you enjoy/are good at with helping out the community.

SGB

Cyburbian
I haven't done any volunteer work in a couple of years.

I'm contemplating joining our local fire department, although with our second child due any week now this may not be the best time to do that.

biscuit said:
Maybe I'll start doign some good works again....like offering free mammograms to college girls. ;-)
Ya know, mammograms kind of hurt -- especially if you are, er, generously endowed. You might want to offer some painless alternative. They also aren't recommended until some time after age 40 unless, like moi, you have a REALLY serious family history.

Nice try but really bad choice of how to get into a nubile young girl's shirt. :-D :-D :-D

Budgie, take this dude aside and give him some pointers. :-D :-D :-D

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
EMT...although one local agency I volunteered for in the past has hired me so I just help out at the college ambulance squad teaching classes.

Church lector and eucharisitc minister
Various political causes
Red Cross as a swim instructor from time to time

I think that's about it these days...

biscuit

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Ya know, mammograms kind of hurt -- especially if you are, er, generously endowed. You might want to offer some painless alternative. They also aren't recommended until some time after age 40 unless, like moi, you have a REALLY serious family history.

Nice try but really bad choice of how to get into a nubile young girl's shirt. :-D :-D :-D
Oh, I know they aren't that pleasant. I at first had typed in breast exams, but decided that it sounded a a bit more creepy. Besides, I'm getting married. Why would I want to get into the shirts of other girls? ;-) o:)

Last edited:
biscuit said:
Besides, I'm getting married. Why would I want to get into the shirts of other girls. ;-) o:)
Because you are MALE?

You know, this probably is not a topic we should pursue on so little sleep. I "just had" my 3rd mammogram back in Decemberish.

Now I am con-fus-ed. (That is pronounced "con fooz ed".) What was the point of your joke? lol

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
Actually one of my co-workers is very involved with H for H. They utilitize his planning experience to obtain properties and all of the stuff (platting, site planning, affordable housing, etc) that goes along with it. So don't worry about having to pick up a hammer! You can definitely be a valuable resource.

I forgot about that. The H for H people here use my considerable skills in having a barn where they can store lumber and other material.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Sisterceleste, TN, and I worked with a guy who donated an incredibly huge amount of blood (Dick T, remember??) I wish I had the wherewithall to do that, but I am such a weenie about needles.

JNL

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I worked with a guy who donated an incredibly huge amount of blood .

There are limits to how much is okay to donate.. for whole blood donations you can only donate every 3 months here, but for plasma (takes longer but affects you less) you can go once a month. Whole blood is only a pint I think (600mL).

I just have this funny image from your post of a guy donating bucketsful! :-D

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Cool! Will you give lessons to big kids too?? (like, 24 yr-olds who want to learn to snowboard) :-D

I am a big kid too! I will teach anyone on this website! (They just have to buy me a beer, and come to visit me)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
[The guy we worked with wasn't selling blood or anything. He has just been donating forever and had all these plaques for it. Considering I am reduced to a quivering mass of jelly just having blood drawn, I think it's pretty heroic to voluntarily give pints at a time.