• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Vote for 2008 US Celebrity President

Vote for 2008 US Celebrity President

• Alec Baldwin

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Rosie O'Donnell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mel Gibson

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Bono

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Martin Sheen

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Anna Nicole Smith

• Charlton Heston

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Barbra Striesand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arnold Schwartzeneger

• the Beastie Boys

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I'll be Moving to Canada

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters

Seabishop

Cyburbian
By the year 2008, citizens of the US will have had enough of career politicians. Inspired by Arnold's masterful work in California, the country will cry out for a celebrity president who can be a strong leader while looking good. Non-celebrity elections will become a relic of a more naive era.

These are my predictions for the 2008 election. Who will win the presidency? For the sake of argument, non-natives can run.

(Mods, feel free to ad any probable celebrities I've forgotten.)

jordanb

Cyburbian
I think the north should secede from the south and join Canada.

Last edited:

El Feo

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
I think the north should succeed from the south and join Canada.
I think you mean "secede." All the northerners that want to "succeed" are, ironically, moving south.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'll be checking out homes in communities around Calgary, Toronto, or Vancouver.

jordanb

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
I think you mean "secede." All the northerners that want to "succeed" are, ironically, moving south.
That sounds great. Then they can succeed in becoming overweight, overstuffed slobs in the land that air conditioning built, and we can succeed in having a working health care system.

Sounds like a real win-win to me.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I'm voting for Lance Armstrong, even though I don't like him.

You gotta give the guy credit, survive cancer, stick it to the Frenchies 5x in a row in Le Tour, dump hot wife for Sheryll Crow. Maybe I do like him.

El Feo

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
That sounds great. Then they can succeed in becoming overweight, overstuffed slobs in the land that air conditioning built, and we can succeed in having a working health care system.

Great, jordanb! I think that's a fair trade. The south gets the north's driven, smart folks who are distasteful to you because of their weight, and you get La Secu. You might also want to make plans for turning all the old people that die from heat stroke in August into soylent green.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
jordanb said:

Just wondering, do you really think that description characterizes the millions of southerners in this country? Dozens of responses await your reply.

jordanb said:

What about midwesterners?

El Feo

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Just wondering, do you really think that description characterizes the millions of southerners in this country? Dozens of responses await your reply.
Jordanb, author of Dean and Clark's "southern strategy."

I'd also like to go on record that this is one southerner that doesn't extrapolate from jordanb that all yankees & midwesterners are bitter, effete, solipsistic, condescending pseudo-intellectuals.

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
I'm voting for Lance Armstrong, even though I don't like him.

You gotta give the guy credit, survive cancer, stick it to the Frenchies 5x in a row in Le Tour, dump hot wife for Sheryll Crow. Maybe I do like him.
You forgot Sandra Bulloch too. ;)

Will start reading "his" second book tonight and tomorrow.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Sandra Bullock? yuck... that'd be like Barbara Streisand (Yeah, and you thought that Bush was bad already!)

Now.. wasn't Ronald Regan a celebrity?

Edit: I realized that the US will also have election year in 2012... isn't that the Mayan year of apocalips? Mabye that year Britney Spears will become president...and the Mayans will have predicted well. :)

Last edited:

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Seabishop said:
Yeah, because there's no obese people up North ^o)

And we all know the South was built by air conditioning, I'm sure that's why Spanish settlers came here long before Europeans settled Chicago ^o) Keep in mind that air conditioning wasn't affordable for many people until the prosperity of the 1950s. I think most of the Southern cities have been around longer than that.

Maybe I'll start making unsubstantiated generalizations about Northerners and Midwesterners... Nevermind, probably not a good idea on this board given the large Midwest population.

Oh, and we all know that EVERYTHING that Canada does is perfect ^o). (Not an insult to Canucks; low violent crime, longer life expectancies-you must be doing something right)

nerudite

Cyburbian
For those of you that picked 'moving to Canada'. The immigration manager just reduced the points needed for skilled worker immigration from 75 points to 67 points (pretty much a give away if you have a degree and a few years experience). So, at least the timing is right for invasion of the north!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Suburb Repairman said:
of the Southern cities have been around longer than that.

Maybe I'll start making unsubstantiated generalizations about Northerners and Midwesterners... Nevermind, probably not a good idea on this board given the large Midwest population.

I'm already doing this! Pushy, loudmouth Yankees....

Seriously we do have that stereotype in the South, that's why it's so important that goddesses such as myself represent the true Southerner to the rest of the world.

jordanb

Cyburbian
I wasn't Stereotyping southerners, I was stereotyping the yanks who move down there running from a bit of cold weather. I feel sorry for real southerners that they have to live with that breed.

At any rate, sure Chicago has heat waves from time to time, but imagine what would happen (god forbid) if the power went out in Pheonix or Dallas for a few days (a distinct possibility because all of those AC compresser motors would make it very difficult to stabalize the grid after a NE style outage, and nearly all of the power in that area is imported). They'd be stacking the bodies in the streets.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
jordanb said:

At any rate, sure Chicago has heat waves from time to time....They'd be stacking the bodies in the streets.

But it's not the heat, it's the humidity;-):)

BKM

Cyburbian
I'll stay out of the north-south debate here. :)

I would have to say that, given THIS list, and although I voted NO on our recall, I would amend the Constitution and give the Terminator the nod.

Slotcar Mikey

A. Baldwin

If Alec Baldwin wins this pole I'm leaving the country. Mel Gibson is the man....or will be the man very soon.....

BKM

Cyburbian
Mel Gibson is the man

Oof. A little too wacko for my tastes. And, his father-say hello to our very own Taliban.

I'll agree with you on Alec Baldwin, though.