• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Vote Wal-Mart!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Those crazy California laws...

Wal-Mart tries end run around balky city
Mon Jan 12,11:11 AM ET
By V. Dion Haynes, Tribune national correspondent

INGLEWOOD, Calif. -- Stung by strong opposition in nearly every corner of the country where it proposes a large-scale development, Wal-Mart is taking a new tack here: bypassing local regulators and going straight to voters for permission to build a mega-store.

By introducing the ballot measure, which goes to voters April 6, Wal-Mart hopes to avoid several major obstacles to building its so-called supercenter: environmental reviews, traffic studies, public hearings and especially obstinate municipal officials who until now had the final say.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...chicagotrib/walmarttriesendrunaroundbalkycity

(By the way, it's late and the pain meds are working... so if this post is weird, so be it. Partially torn MCL, ouch!)

donk

Cyburbian
I guess Inglewood is officially rugged:

"I'm a Korean War veteran; I believe in the Constitution of the United States and in competition. Wal-Mart should have just as much right to come to Inglewood as any other company," said Inglewood resident Williem Agee, 74....

Last edited:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Is that possible?
How can they avoid enviromental reviews?

Like it or not... municipal officials are there to protect cities and their population from bad things, and who'll regulate this "election", and who will inform them about the benefits and the nuisances that such store brings?
Just think a second on how many morons out there will just vote yes to a wal-mart without thinking, or just thinking about the super sales and cheap prices?

donk

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Is that possible?
Just think a second on how many morons out there will just vote yes to a wal-mart without thinking, or just thinking about the super sales and cheap prices?
At least 14 000 morons, that is how many people signed a petition to bring wal~mart to my community. (Reason number 14 000 why I want to move)

You will never ever hear me say anything remotely pleasant/positive about wal~mart or the consulting firms they use.

A question related to the ballot. Could an anti wal mart group introduce a measure that if the walmart measure passes other things kick in to mitigate it?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
JNA said:
?What did you do?
Deck diving...

Things get slick up here, and whomever built the deck at my house didn't do it properly. So... one foot got hung up on a crack, and when I tried to plant the other one... *zzzzzzing*

Look at the bright side... with the brace I'll be wearing for two months, I get to wear sweats to work!