• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Wake me up, before you go - go.

Alright. I am having one of those days where I absolutely CANNOT keep my eyes open, and I've already had the maximum amount of caffeine (and then some probably) that liberal doctors allow pregos. But I could NOT get to sleep last night, and played Sim City until 2am. (The City of Juicyfruit is doing very well, thanks for asking).

So what do YOU do when you have to be at work and cannot stay awake?

jmf

Cyburbian
I wander the halls, read the newspaper, go ask people questions about fairly mindless things which usually turns into a chat, clean up my desk/files - things that don't really require a lot of mental alertness.

The sleepies hit me about an hour after lunch. I usually doze off because it is so quiet on my side of the hall. I always forget to close the door to my office but manage to hear people approaching so I wake up just in time.

Ordinarily, I'll go outside and sit in my hot car for a few minutes or get up and go talk to with one of my co-workers at their desk.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Well, if I had a door I would close it and take a nap in my office.
Since I don't have a door to shut I take several short brisk walks outside during the course of the day to help keep my blood moving.

Or you could go home and sleep, errrr...I mean, leave the office to conduct field work. ;)

otterpop

Cyburbian
Every hour or so I walk once or twice around the corridors to wake up and stretch. Sometimes I will bug a coworker and discuss world events. By the time we've solved the world's problem, it is time to go back to work and fix the county.

At a place where I used to work, the people who had been there forever told us that during the late 70s and 80s, there was a crawl space where they had a mattress and they used to crawl in their and nap during the afternoon. Later when they renovated the building they found the crawl space has exposed asbetos. Maybe that is why only one or two of the old timers are still there!

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
The sleepies hit me about an hour after lunch. Ordinarily, I'll go outside and sit in my hot car for a few minutes or get up and go talk to with one of my co-workers at their desk.
I tend to doze off after lunch as well, especially in our occasional 1:30 p.m. meetings. A co-worker usually keeps me attentive by nudging my arm so that I'm not busted by the bossman. Our conference room is referred to as, "the dungeon," because it's relatively dark and cozy even with lighting...perfect place for an afternoon nap.

In order to combat my "sleepy eyes," I also venture outside for some fresh (or fresh as can be) air.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
I think of sick thoughts like seeing Rosanne or Oprah naked. That does the trick.
I would think that the violent waves of nausea would make it hard to work afterwards?

ludes98

Cyburbian
I am not fully functional until at least 2 diet Cokes and 10am rolls around. Until then I just stare at Outlook and our internal server and it looks like I am working.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Thanks for putting the WHAMmy on my head Kel!

Does hearing "Father Figure" over and over in my dreams mean anything? ;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Double the dose of Diet Dew for the workday.

Switch to tasks that do not require reading anything technical and/or boring, otherwise I'm done for.

I have also left after-lunch meetings in warm conference rooms when I absolutely could not keep my eyes open. I walk around outside for a minute or two, then I'm OK for awhile.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I fantasize that I'm actually not a planner but in fact a gynecologist.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
If there is nothing on my schedule, I will take a nap. It helps to live five minutes from the office and to have flextime. The worst is when I am in a meeting and can't keep awake.

biscuit

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
I fantasize that I'm actually not a planner but in fact a gynecologist.
Being a gynocologist is the last thing you should want to fantasize about. At least according to the stories a Doctor buddy of mine who has been doing Gyno work at free clinic here in town has been telling. Yeeeeech...:-#

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Dr. I've been having this itching problem . . .

I guess your fantasies are a lot better.;)

It's the sleepy time of day again. I just had a very strong cup of hot tea......will bounce for about 20 mins, then crash like a ton of bricks.

JNL

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
I like to get all jacked up on cold medicine.
OMG, that stuff is some crazy sh*t if you take the maximum dose... which I did once (I had a cold, honest)... it has pseudoephedrine in it which is like speed I think? I was wondering why I was absolutely wired, couldn't sleep the whole night, and was having really bizarre thoughts!

JNL

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
Come on, don't leave us hanging here...lesbians and strippers, right?
No actually :p I thought my arm had a life of it's own and wanted to hurt me. This was when I was sort of dozing ok!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
SkeLeton said:
Codeine (Used before for cough medicine)... now that'll get ya trippin' :)
Those freakin Canuks still get to use it! Lucky Canuks

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNL said:
OMG, that stuff is some crazy sh*t if you take the maximum dose... which I did once (I had a cold, honest)... it has pseudoephedrine in it which is like speed I think? I was wondering why I was absolutely wired, couldn't sleep the whole night, and was having really bizarre thoughts!

Nope. Pseudophedrine HCL does not have an impact on your sleep. It is simply an antihistamine. I live on the stuff through allergy season.

biscuit said:
Being a gynocologist is the last thing you should want to fantasize about. At least according to the stories a Doctor buddy of mine who has been doing Gyno work at free clinic here in town has been telling. Yeeeeech...:-#
Agreed - the only time you're really seeing snatch is when there's something wrong with it. blargh!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Downtown said:
Agreed - the only time you're really seeing snatch is when there's something wrong with it. blargh!
Wow...now there's a word I never expected to see on Cyburbia! ;)

JNL

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Nope. Pseudophedrine HCL does not have an impact on your sleep.
What are you saying? That I just went a bit loopy?? :p I'll have to check on the other ingredients.

bubbles

After lunch meetings are a killer!! A quick nap is definately the way to go! We had a couch in our lunchroom so it was just perfect, could fit your lunch and nap into lunch break.

I find I need to switch tasks to something less boring, normally something that doesn't involve just sitting at a computer!!

My very first office job, first meeting and I managed to full completely asleep. My boss had to wake me up!! The room was just so dark and so warm and I was so tired!

There are worse things then falling asleep at work: falling asleep while driving home from work!

tsc

Cyburbian
I listen to Jr. Brown... nothing like listening to "Hillbilly Hula Gal" to wake you up!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
Can we say that? And another thing, you all are just ruining my fantasy. :(
Downtown is on a higher plane, in a higher clube. I think she has a special dispensation from Dan to say whatever she wants.