• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Wal-Mart parade (was: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho)

DoneGoneBlue

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

I wasn't sure where to post this but here it is:
According to this morning's Spokesman-Review Newspaper, the Best Theme winner of the November 28 Coeur d'Alene, Idaho "small town-old fashioned" parade was none other than Wal-Mart. I really don't know what to say to that...

-Bewildered

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I share the feelings of most others about WalMart. However, in my last town the local outlet was the largest contributer to the Main Street program. Here, at civic club fund raising time, they often match the donations to our club. Perhaps a bit of guilt on their part, but still nice gestures.

SGB

Cyburbian
mike gurnee said:
... In my last town the local outlet was the largest contributer to the Main Street program. Here, at civic club fund raising time, they often match the donations to our club. Perhaps a bit of guilt on their part, but still nice gestures.
[ot]The key word is gesture. Let us not forget that all of W-M's contributions are still a significantly smaller proportion of their gross sales when compared to the average philanthropy of locally owned businesses. Yeah, yeah, yeah - the numbers are still huge, but put in the proper context it's nothing but comparative tokenism.[/ot]

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
[Mod Warning] Okay folks - the rule has recently been laid down about Wal-Mart bashing outside the FAC. Don't got there. DoneGoneBlue - does this thread have a point?[/Mod Warning]

DoneGoneBlue

My bad Tranplanner, I was unaware of a no Wal-Mart bashing rule on this forum (innocent by ignorance). I will be more careful in the future. The thread wasn't necessarily meant to be negative, I just found the article amusing and a statement of how things are in one small town and thought I'd share it with others.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The rule, poasted last week.

A couple of the mods have approached me, concerned about what happens to threads whenever Wal-Mart is mentioned, or even the subject.

I shouldn't have to post the following, since it's really common sense.

1) Posts regarding Wal-Mart and land use issues (i.e. zoning, parking, sigage, building design, etc) belong in the appropriate Planning and the Built Environment subforum. Anti-Wal-Mart rants and similar messages are not productive nor do they contribute to such discussions, and are not appropriate in these subforums.

2) Serious discussion regarding the economic impacts of Wal-Mart belongs in the Economic and Community Development subforum. Anti-Wal-Mart rants and similar messages are not productive nor do they contribute to such discussions, and are not appropriate in this subforum.

3) Rants, praises, strange news stories, redneck jokes, and similar topics regarding Wal-Mart belong in the Friday Afternoon Club.

4) Generic, off-topic ranting regarding Wal-Mart (or any big box retailer) in any Planning and the Built Environment subforum will be considered trolling, and the poster will be subject to a public warning. Continued off-topic Wal-Mart posts may result in temporary suspension of posting privileges.

Offenders will be forced to be identified by a Wal-Mart door greeter avatar for a few days.

When in doubt about a planned Wal-Mart post, ask a mod or post a message here..

If Wal-Mart threads outside the FAC continue to deteriorate into rants, ALL WAL-MART RELATED THREADS WILL BE DELETED, REGARDLESS OF INTENT. ALWAYS. This includes everything from anti-Wal-Mart rants and related redneck jokes to posts about boondocking, cart corral requirements or garden center outdoor storage.
Althout it wasn't the intent of the OP, the thread turned from an intended discussion about Coeur d'Alene to yet anouther round of Wal-Mart bashing. I'm moving it to the FAC, where it belongs.

BKM

Cyburbian
Cool, since its been properly relocated to FAC, I'll add another WalMart factoid I read yesterday in the Chronicle or the NYT.

Of the $245 BILLION in sales at US WalMarts last year, less than $500 million was U.S. produced goods.

I would also point out what I see the bigger problem with chain retail. While, as I've brought up before, chains can introduce "outside" ideas of progress (jresta and I had a debate about this), even generous contributions to local charities doesn't make up for the lack of "social capital" created by local business persons. Towns are reduced to lawyers, real estate agents, and the like. Bless their souls, its not the same as a local department store or drugstore.

There. I promise no more WalMart rants :) I understand the reality-Karl Marx was right, the "petty bourgeoisie" will be eliminated by centralized capitalism.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
DoneGoneBlue said:
My bad Tranplanner, I was unaware of a no Wal-Mart bashing rule on this forum (innocent by ignorance). I will be more careful in the future. The thread wasn't necessarily meant to be negative, I just found the article amusing and a statement of how things are in one small town and thought I'd share it with others.
No problem - sorry about the tone in my response.

cheers :b:

iamme

Cyburbian
Could you post your source for the figures regarding Walmart's sales. I would like to see them for myself. Thank You

BKM

Cyburbian
it was in the New York Times or the Chronicle or the Wall Street Journal over the past few days. If its not in the recycling bin, I'll try to find it. Just though it was an interesting factoid.