• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Signs / billboards Wall Sign Regulations

Ohio_Planner

Does anyone know of examples of wall sign regulations where they do not use some sign area formula that states that the sign area shall be restricted to no more than x square feet per x lineal feet of building frontage?

Jeff

Cyburbian
Are you trying to regulat the size of signs? I'm not sure how else you would do it without regulating the square footage.

Ohio_Planner

I am trying to regulate the area and I understand that you need to do it by square footage but what I am looking for are alternative forumlas than having a certain square footage as it relates to the lineal length of a building i.e. you can have 1 square foot of sign per 1 lineal foot of building frontage.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I have seen percentage of building wall, taking into consideration building height...but cannot remember where it was.

Glomer

The total maximum area of wall signs shall be determined by taking twenty percent (20%) of the gross silhouette area of the front of the building up to three hundred (300) square feet, whichever is less. If a principal building is on a corner lot, the largest side of the building may be used to determine the gross silhouette area.

boiker

Cyburbian
our sign code si faulty

20% of the facade. and you can put signs on all facades.

this has left us with some of the largest, obnoxious, wall signs that you could see 15 miles away.

smarty

Cyburbian
wall sign options

We've used the 1 square foot per one linear foot of building face in older 'planned' areas. But we are basically BSing on this. Our code is SO dated that we don't regulate wall sign volume. In our neighborhood plans we have some regulation laid out that says "7% of the primarly facade length and 3% of the secondary facade length."

It's tight, but..........so what...........

I get a little aggro when it comes to signs.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Our sign ordinance allows for signage up to 15% for each wall facade with total signage not to exceed 200 sq. ft. total for the site.

The CBD sign regs are different however - we allow total sign area to be calculated in either of the following ways -

1) 32 sq. ft. for a single tenant, 50 sq. ft. for two tenants, and an additional 15 sq. ft for each additional tenant
OR
2)One square foot of sign area for each linear foot of building frontage with a maximum height of three feet.

Don't know if this helps or not...good luck!
Christine

Rionagh

We allow up to 10% of the front building face for wall signage and it can be placed on any wall of the building - just use the front face to determine the amount of square footage allowed. In general it's worked fairly well.

Hope that helps!