• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

War IS the answer???!!! (A Kunstler rant)

BKM

Cyburbian
Since Kunstler and a defense of suburbia were mentioned in previous threads, I thought that this lovely quote was spot on.

"I saw a bumper sticker in my town the other day. It said "War Is Not The Answer." I emphasize: a bumper sticker. On a car. You know, if you really want to live in a drive-in utopia, in a car-dependent, oil-addicted society, and you want to keep those profits flowing into bank accounts of the suburban tract house builders, and the strip mall developers, and you want to build a new freeway link south of town, and a swell conference center like this one miles and miles from anything else in your region -- then war actually is the answer. Get used to it. Get over it. We don't have enough oil to run our own show, and other people in other parts of the world do. So war IS the answer. I've got friends back home who have been picketing down at the Post Office against the war in Iraq for months. They drive their SUVs down there to demonstrate their indignation over US military policy. I've got news for you: we're not going to be able to continue living this way in America, whether we like it or not. . . "

Tom R

Cyburbian
war

You forgot to mention that the inmates are running the asylum.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Do you have a reference or link for that quote? I'd like to read the full text.

bocian

Cyburbian
Funny, when I saw Kunstler speak, his message was scarely patriotic: "This is not the kind of place that's worth defending. Let's make it worth defending..."
Defending? Ithought we were supposed to make it LIVABLE..
Oh, well - any thoughts on that?

lowlyplanner

Cyburbian
I kinda think he's right on this one - If our economy is dependant on cheap, readily available oil, then it's not a real good idea to have all that oil in the hands of people who aren't necessarily real fond of us.

That situation suggests three possible responses:

1) Develop our own supplies, e.g. ANWR

2) Get a hold of other people's supplies

3) Reduce our dependance on oil altogether

And obviously you could do a little of all three.

Tom R

Cyburbian
oil

What irritates the begeezus out of me is that this same discussion was a hot topic in the early 1970's. All that was really done was the mpg ratings for cars then came the end run of the suvsetc. Ask me why I'm cynical, add this to Johnson's (Eisenhower's, Kennedy's, Nixon's) "dirty little war" and I'm looking for self medication.