• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Signs / billboards Warning signs

JNL

Cyburbian
Does anyone know anything about the 'philosophy of signage'? I've had an enquiry from someone who is having problems with people trespassing in part of water catchment areas, and he wants to know about the effectiveness of words vs pictures, what part the company logo plays in reinforcing ownership etc. Basically they want an effective sign that people witll take notice of, parlty so that they are covered in case someone has an accident.

Even general stuff about colours and lettiering would be appreciated.

Rem

Cyburbian
There is a standard for Traffic Signs in use over here (AS1742.1). I don't use it so I can't say it will contain what you are looking for but many of the newer AS/NZS contain discussion on the objectives and principles behind the standard. So it may be worth having a look at.

green lizard

The sign standard in the US is the MUTCD
(Manual of Unifrom Traffic Control Devices), but
it may not help when it comes to tresspassing
signs.

It is my understanding that No Tresspassing
signs are tied to local ordinaces. In one case
I have heard that the No Tresspassing sign was
not valid unless it listed the owners name and a
contact phone number. So you may want to look
at what is considered a legal warning in
your state/county/city.