• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Warren H Manning

Tom R

Cyburbian
http://www.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/manuscripts/MS218/draw08.html

I live in the Goodyear Heights section of Akron. It was developed by the Goodyear Rubber Company in the early 20th century. Doing a search of the Internet, I discovered that Goodyear Heights was designed by a notable landscape architect, Warren H. Manning. There was some bio information on him on the site, but I was curious if anyone in Cyburbia can tell me more. Thanks.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Using Vivisimo for a search on
Warren H. Manning
resulted in 163 links, 10 under landscape architecture.

hope this helps you get started.

ownzone

I've done some research over the years on planned communities and company towns, but don't have much on Goodyear Heights except that it was designed around 1913 to provide housing for 3,000 tire company employees. I'm going to check my files at home and see if I can turn anything else up. Would also be interested if you find out more information! Manning also appears to have designed Gwinn, MI (a mining company town), and parts of Hopedale, MA, a very attractive mill town. These communities deserve a lot more study.