• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Washington DC....the touristy pics from the APA Conference [Broadband Recommended]

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
PlannerGirl said:
Wonderful pics, I guess you went sunday after the march?
Nope...Tuesday Morning/Early Afternoon

NHPlanner

Staff member
Oops....forgot one....for Maister and Cardinal. ;-)

Attachments

NHPlanner

Staff member
Big Easy King said:
Great photos! How was the conference?
One word: Overcrowded. I didn't have as much fun at this one as I did at the previous 6 I've been to....I think the conference planners underestimated the number of possible attendees, because the hallways were packed between sessions....almost impossible to move....enough to keep me away from sessions on a couple of days (since my ankle was bugging me....reaggrivated an old sprain).

The mobile workshop I went on was good (Affordable Housing in a High Cost Suburb), and the reception at Union Station was OK.....but no reception can top the one from the Field Museum in Chicago in 2002.

Overall, glad I went, but enjoyed myself more at past conferences in San Fran, Toronto, San Diego, Boston, Chicago, and Denver.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Apparently the planned for maybe 2000 and over 5000 folks came, they were in NO way prepared for the numbers so it was pretty tight and pretty...well not fun. It was standing room only in most sessions, even if you could hear or see it was not a good set up. The hotel was nice, the staff seemed nice but the event planners drop'd more balls than I can count on one hand.

I did a moble workshop with the National Parks service and it was very nice seeing how they plan and operate the mall and monuments.

Tuesdays lunch the food was fine, not great not bad, the awards presentation they spent way more money on a nice set with high end audio and visual crap than even having coffee for folks at the event. Planners day on Cap hill was a JOKE. But meeting and making friends with all sorts of planners form all over was truly wonderful. I would have been LIVID had I paid for this myself.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Well I checked into the event (no small task there) and go to the "day on the hill" table to get my info.

They dont have me listed. Thank god Im a pack rat and had my print out showing where I signed up. They kinda looked confused and then got some papers and handed them to me with no info on what was going on. I looked through the handouts and asked what I was set to do and they started telling me they had contaced various offices on the Hill but not heard back from folks so nothing was confirmed. Pretty much check back with them the day I was planning to go to the HIll and find out if there were any set meetings. HUH?

Turns out they failed to tell me there was some training you had to go to at 7:30 am. I found this out reading signs on the walls of the hotel. I went back and asked the folks at the desk a couple days later what the scoop was and again no answers.

I got tired of waiting for answers and scheduled myself to do other things. I dont have time to wait around till the last min to find out when, where and with whom I will be speaking. I talked to a couple other planners and they went down to the HIll and it was even more screwed up down there.

The One

Cyburbian
Crowds

Well, I'll be, an over capacity APA National Meeting??? Reminds me of the New Orleans mad house! When will they learn?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I take it they do this every year? It was my first one and needless to say it will be the last one my boss sends me to :-(

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
[OT] Any comments on the WWII memorial on the Mall? I hear it is rather, uhhh, poorly executed. Anybody see it?[/OT]

jordanb

Cyburbian
If they were real tourist pictures, you'd be smiling and waving to to the camera in every one.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Poorly executed? In what way? I saw it from the air and from ground level yesterday during and after my moble workshop and thought it bit with the landscape very well, picked up elements from other monuments well etc. Its quite moving.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Gedunker said:
[OT] Any comments on the WWII memorial on the Mall? I hear it is rather, uhhh, poorly executed. Anybody see it?[/OT]
I only got one pic....as the vehicle I was in passed by. Wasn't there long enough to really comment on it.

3ww2.jpg

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
PlannerGirl said:
Poorly executed? In what way? I saw it from the air and from ground level yesterday during and after my moble workshop and thought it bit with the landscape very well, picked up elements from other monuments well etc. Its quite moving.
I've read several architecture critics who all called it "Fascist", and "Art Deco Fascism", such that Mussolini would love. They said it doesn't cause the viewer to reflect the way the Viet Nam Memorial does, doesn't inspire the way the Shaw Memorial in Boston does. And they rant about its impacts on the Mall.

NHPlanner's image (Thanks!) and others I've seen show a cool, grey granite, as opposed to the white marbles of the Lincoln and Jefferson memorials, or the Indiana limestone of the Washington Monument. Of course, the black granite of the VNM is quite different than any others, but there it works on several levels.

NHPlanner

Staff member
finally got the photomerge to work on my smithsonian pic....though the vehicles are a bit odd in the foreground. ;-)

3smithsonianpan.jpg