• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Wasps, bees, hornets and other stinging critters

Bubba

Cyburbian
Mrs. Bubba noticed a wasp nest over the garage yesterday around dusk - I got out this morning and sprayed it - 24 confirmed kills. It's a big enough nest that I plan to spray it again tomorrow before knocking it down at some point. I have no idea how neither of us noticed it sooner...

We have a fair number of wasps/hornets in our yard. They're not very aggressive; I haven't done anything about them yet. As long as they leave me alone, I leave them alone. (I haven't found a nest or anything.)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator note:
split from RTDNTOTO

I took out a wasp nest last year using some Raid. The nest was in the crook of a downspout near the gutter so I used a can of Raid that supposed to shoot from 20 feet away. It worked.

More bothersome was a previous occurrence where bumblebees had located in a hole in the back yard. They kept two 'sentries' on post at most times. One time I was trying to mow the back yard, got too close and they ended up stinging me a half dozen times. Ow.

Michele Zone

     
I was a military wife for a lot of years. Our second duty station was Germany, where our second child was born. So we returned to the US about 3 weeks before his second birthday and the four of us visit relatives who haven't seen the baby yet. I stayed behind and hung out with family while the future ex went ahead to Kansas, arranged a rental and then came back to get us.

He rents some godawful trailer. Initially, he's bragging about what a deal it is. The rent was super low. I hit the roof about him putting me in poverty housing in spite of his middle class income and he starts backpedaling on that position and telling me the rental market was really tight and it was the first thing he could find.

My first night, I am in bed about an hour and I feel something in my hair and I brush it out. Moments later it's back. I brush it out again and begin screaming. It's a locust. I've never seen a locust before in my life.

We arrived in the dead of winter. As things warmed up, the place soon became overrun with critters -- spiders, wasps and other creepy crawlies. I left for six weeks with the kids to go stay with family just to get away from the horrible trailer while the hubby was in school. We returned to an even bigger bug problem.

The bug problem was so bad, my five year old began calling it The Bug House. He's currently 31. He still calls it that. Wasps were a big part of the issue.

Three good things came out of that:

1. I told the husband he was never renting us a place again without me. He never did. I always went with him.

2. We ended up buying a house that summer when we moved.

3. I learned that on a sunny day, you can get a flying bug out of the house by drawing the shades on all windows and opening a door that gets full sunlight. It will go to the light and fly out. This works especially well in a small space.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
I was a military wife for a lot of years. Our second duty station was Germany, where our second child was born. So we returned to the US about 3 weeks before his second birthday and the four of us visit relatives who haven't seen the baby yet. I stayed behind and hung out with family while the future ex went ahead to Kansas, arranged a rental and then came back to get us.

He rents some godawful trailer. Initially, he's bragging about what a deal it is. The rent was super low. I hit the roof about him putting me in poverty housing in spite of his middle class income and he starts backpedaling on that position and telling me the rental market was really tight and it was the first thing he could find.

My first night, I am in bed about an hour and I feel something in my hair and I brush it out. Moments later it's back. I brush it out again and begin screaming. It's a locust. I've never seen a locust before in my life.

We arrived in the dead of winter. As things warmed up, the place soon became overrun with critters -- spiders, wasps and other creepy crawlies. I left for six weeks with the kids to go stay with family just to get away from the horrible trailer while the hubby was in school. We returned to an even bigger bug problem.

The bug problem was so bad, my five year old began calling it The Bug House. He's currently 31. He still calls it that. Wasps were a big part of the issue.

Three good things came out of that:

1. I told the husband he was never renting us a place again without me. He never did. I always went with him.

2. We ended up buying a house that summer when we moved.

3. I learned that on a sunny day, you can get a flying bug out of the house by drawing the shades on all windows and opening a door that gets full sunlight. It will go to the light and fly out. This works especially well in a small space.
You were down the road near Junk Town! Yep, people here love to rent out trailers or whatever and call it great living. Also bugs are just fun around here. Flys seem non stop, wasps are always around and if you live anywhere near a field you'll get endless spiders and other stuff.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Mrs. Bubba noticed a wasp nest over the garage yesterday around dusk - I got out this morning and sprayed it - 24 confirmed kills. It's a big enough nest that I plan to spray it again tomorrow before knocking it down at some point. I have no idea how neither of us noticed it sooner...
Wasp #25 apparently did not like me cleaning up the carcasses of his buddies and stung me on the ankle. Thankfully we had Benadryl in the house.

Growing up on a farm and working in the fields, there were always horse flies around and they would bite and come back and bite again after you'd swat them away. When baling hay, they would always seem to get you worst when you were the one driving the tractor since you were basically stationary and couldn't really move to get away from them and the tractor had to be going slow enough that whoever was tossing the bales onto the wagon could keep up. I used to swim in the neighbor's pool and some afternoons the horseflies would try to swarm around you so it always felt like we were spending more time underwater where they couldn't get you than with our heads above the surface.

I've been stung by bees a few times but I usually just let them exist and if I don't bother them, they don't bother me. My daughter has gotten pretty good about not being bothered by them either. Wasps and hornets on the other hand are horrible hell beasts that I have no love for. They are aggressive, especially in late summer and the start of fall and have driven us inside when trying to eat on the patio more than a few times. We must have had them nesting under our old wooden porch though because we haven't had nearly as many of them around since we replaced it with a stone patio a couple of years ago.

We once had a hive of honeybees appear in our house seemingly out of nowhere overnight: I was 14 or 15 and woke up one summer morning and could hear some sort of incessant buzzing noise but didn't think much of it. I ate breakfast and went outside to cut the grass and when I got around to the backside of the house, where my bedroom was, I saw thousands of bees swarming in and out of the wall of the house under the old wooden slats - it was an old 1860s farmhouse, so there were lots of little crevices and cracks to get in through. When I went back inside the house I went back into my bedroom and looked more closely and saw a few bees coming into the inside of the house through little cracks around the windows and even through the holes in the electrical outlets along that outside wall. I remember calling my dad at work and him not believing me about all the bees but I think he realized it was a crazy thing to have just made up out of the blue so he came home early to check it out. My dad called a guy he knew that also kept bees and he came over with a few little smoker canisters that he set up in certain spots which slowed the bees down enough that he wasn't worried about getting stung. I remember watching him as he watched to see where the bees were going in and out of the wall and being able to deduce where the queen was and only had to cut into the wall in one small spot to find her. He put the queen in his little box and drove home with her. All of our bees followed her and our infestation was gone as quickly as it had arrived.

Michele Zone

     
You were down the road near Junk Town! Yep, people here love to rent out trailers or whatever and call it great living. Also bugs are just fun around here. Flys seem non stop, wasps are always around and if you live anywhere near a field you'll get endless spiders and other stuff.

The duty station was Ft. Riley. The trailer was in Ogden. We bought a small house in Manhattan.

El Guapo was in that area for a while. We used to talk about the Manhattan Zoo and such.

I loved Manhattan. Trailers, not so much.

I vowed I would never live in a trailer again. My exact words were "I will sleep in a tent first." And then I did that for a long time.

kjel

Super Moderator
RT had the beginning of a wasp nest over her front door. I got one of the cans of wasp spray and was impressed that it did squirt 20 feet and foamed up to cover the wasp. The three wasps died and haven't been back.

Planit

Cyburbian
I just knocked down 2 wasp nests around the back deck yesterday.

When The Girl was about 2, she stepped on a ground nest of yellow jackets. That was not a good time, but we were glad to find out she wasn't allergic. I think her total count was 17 stings. That evening after they had settled down, I took a mason jar and filled it up half way with gas, flipped it over onto the nest. There were a few that tried to escape and were flying around inside the upside down jar. I let it sit there for 15/20 minutes and then lifted it and lit the gas. Not only did it burn the nest and contents, it was a pretty cool sight (said the pyro).

I love the 20 foot spray. Sometimes I try to pick them out of the air in flight.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
The duty station was Ft. Riley. The trailer was in Ogden. We bought a small house in Manhattan.

I loved Manhattan. Trailers, not so much.
Manhattan isn't bad, Ogden not so much. Half the base lives in Junction City (Junk Town) on the other side. Another beacon of civilized living in Kansas.

We keep the wasp spray in the garage because they like to hang out. I'm getting good at shooting them out of the air.

As kids in Phoenix we had fun drowning the wasps that would land on the pools. Takes a while to drown a wasp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bubba

Cyburbian
When The Girl was about 2, she stepped on a ground nest of yellow jackets. That was not a good time, but we were glad to find out she wasn't allergic. I think her total count was 17 stings. That evening after they had settled down, I took a mason jar and filled it up half way with gas, flipped it over onto the nest. There were a few that tried to escape and were flying around inside the upside down jar. I let it sit there for 15/20 minutes and then lifted it and lit the gas. Not only did it burn the nest and contents, it was a pretty cool sight (said the pyro).
The guys next door burned out a nest of ground bees a couple of months ago. Of course, they waited until 10 pm to do so, which made it look more like they had set fire to some of their junipers...Mrs. Bubba did not have a good initial reaction the sight.

Michele Zone

     
The guys next door burned out a nest of ground bees a couple of months ago. Of course, they waited until 10 pm to do so, which made it look more like they had set fire to some of their junipers...Mrs. Bubba did not have a good initial reaction the sight.
Under the category of "other stinging critters," we used to pour gasoline into the hives of fire ants and light it. We called them Ant Roasts.

It's no doubt illegal to pour gasoline in the ground like that these days.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I am allergic to bee stings. I have had incidents where I have had to seek out emergency medical care but most of the time I can treat stings with Benadryl to avoid the er. I have a epinephrine autoinjector that I try to carry with me. My allergy doctor told me that I could have a stinging insect panel done to determine the type of insect and the severity of each but at the time the cost wasn't covered by insurance and it was pricey if I recall correctly. Plus, I don't know how helpful it would be. I have a healthy respect for stinging insects but I don't panic when I see them.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
I'm not allergic to stings, so that's good...because I've had to get rid of two hives in our current house in the last 4 years.

When we bought the house there was a small-ish bee hive in the exterior wall, so I got some strong apicicde powder from the local hardware store and puffed the hell out the hive entrance at dusk (when the bees have returned and less active). That seemed to take care of the issue, though that may mean I have a 4 year old dead hive in the dining room wall. :p

Next was a hive in the ground in our shrub bed in front of the house. Well, I went out one evening to drop some apicide powder on them, but also got some skunk eyes shine back at me as I lit the spot with my flashlight. I was far enough away from the skunk that I was safe and it did not spray, so I told him 'we're cool' and I slowly backed away.

I went out the next day and the hive was gone, literally. There was a large-ish hole in it's place. Well, I then discovered that skunks are actually really useful for us humans as they will eat hives and remove the problem for us.

And I've been stung by a bee once as far as I know. More annoying than painful. Stupid human food pollinators. ;)

Last edited: