• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Parking Water park parking requirements

Glomer

I'm reviewing a 20,000 sq. ft. indoor water park attached to a hotel and am wondering what sort of parking requirements would be required. The City's ordinance doesn't list such a use......and I was hoping one of you, in your infinite wisdom and vast experience could give me a quick answer or place to look.

thanks,

Jeff

Cyburbian
Is it for the exclusive use of hotel guests or open to the public?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Wisconsin Dells is the water park capitol of the world. It is a little town in Wisconsin about midway between Chicago and Minneapolis. There are at least a half dozen indoor and outdoor water parks, as well as dozens of other amusement-type businesses. You might try checking to see if they have their code online, or even call them.

Glomer

come on.....just go out on a limb and give me a suggestion....I don't want to do research

donk

Cyburbian
Do what we do, our by-law has a clause for any use not otherwise listed at a specific rate. Then if the amount of parking seems too high, tell them to get a variance. Not sure if this is legal where you are, but here teh PAC/Commission also has teh power to make a judgement of similar or compatible and then apply those standards, using that logic maybe a hockey rink or other active recreation standard in your by-law would be suitable.

Jeff

Cyburbian
For what it's worth (and probably not a whole lot) I'd use the ITE Amusement Park rate. I'm pretty sure there is one in there. However, we all know this book is pretty much useless.

What's the Occupancy Permit for the park allow. I'd say one space for every 4 people in the max occupancy as determined by the fire marshall.

Anyone buy that?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
You can always allow them to construct a given number of stalls, but have land set aside to meet future parking needs if that original number is too small. We will do this sometimes in our R-3 zone, which requires 3 stalls per apartment. We may allow them to construct only two, but have land shown on the site plan for more parking if needed.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
The only thing our ordinance states is that private swimming pool clubs require one parking space for each two member family or individual, plus the spaces required for each accessory uses, such as a restaurant or bar.

Having said that, I like Mike D.'s suggestion about one for every fouth person allowed by fire marshall; however, I tend to be somewhat conservative on parking.

I also like Mike S' suggestion about reserving land for additional parking. We have this in our zoning to allow that:
"Where, at the outset of development, a parking demand less than that required for the use by this Zoning Code, can be demonstrated, the full parking area shall be reserved, but the unused area may be placed in landscaping until such time as it may be needed."

Jeff

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:
By the way, Fire Marshal has only one "L" in it - ours has to remind me every single time.
2 LL's in all of them around here....

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
A city I live near used the standards for commercial outdoor amusement for an indoor water park. 30 spaces plus 1 for each 200 sq ft of floor area over 2,000 sq ft.

Another option we be to do with a recreation building standard. One I've seen calls for 1 space for every 4 persons to be normally accommodated in the establishment.

This option leaves it to the developer to give an estimate of the normal number of people to be expected.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I like Mike's idea, also as a bit of an add on if you think the number is low how is your soil at supporting those interlocking hidden pavers?

Might make a nice green area but when they have overflow parking needs they can park on the "field" that is really pavers. Again not knowing how your soil is, might be a good place to put any storm water detention-under the pavers.

PG