• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

water run off

I live in the town of Bellingham, MA. For 5 years the water has been running down onto my land from the street in front of my home. The land has been eroding every time it rains, or that the snow melts. I have asked the highway department to alleviate the problem but to now avail. Does anyone know my rights in this matter.

SGB

Cyburbian
connie said:
Does anyone know my rights in this matter.
You've come to the wrong place for legal advice.

I'm sure your attorney will know your rights.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I have found that each state deals with water run-off differently. You should talk to your local jurisdiction.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
I have found that each state deals with water run-off differently. You should talk to your local jurisdiction.
Not just state, but locality in many cases. You never know, you could be stuck with having to convey the half street's water. 8-! Legal advice for sure.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SGB said:
You've come to the wrong place for legal advice.
And the wrong place for stormwater issues. All planners know about that is water runs downhill and I would never buy a house where the gradde is lower than the edge of pavement. Sorry.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Well, I'm several feet below the grade of the road, but also over a hundred feet back from the road.

I think there are a couple questions you might ask. How old is your house? If it is relatively new you might still be able to claim this as a developer defect. If you live in an old house it is most likely your problem. The exception is if the municipality reconstructed (with a redesign) your street causing the problem, where it did not exist before. That's just my two cents, but I know about as much law as Lionel Hutz.