• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Watergate

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Yes! Great stuff! I was two years old when that was going on, so I have no memory of the actual scandal as it happened. I liked the last fifteen minutes at the end of the show, when the former Nixon administration aides talked about the lessons learned from Watergate: "Don't get caught" was the best one. I liked the last guy who spoke, the one who basically said that Nixon ordered the break-in, and it was the last agenda item, among 25, for that particular day. And as the credits rolled, it finally hit me: most of those guys that were interviewed were the ones who went to prison for President Nixon!!! Wow!

Tom R

Cyburbian
nixon

My favorite "character" was Sen. Sam Irvin. He used to call himself just an old backwoods lawyer. Dumb like a fox with brass cajones. As a matter of fact, most of the committee members did commendable jobs. I wonder what would happen today.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I caught the last hour of the show. It was fascinating.

I was 8 or 9 when the hearings took place, and I remember them being important without fully understanding what was going on. What I found most fascinating was that after awhile, the Republican members of the Senate committee realized the futility of trying to protect the administration, and began to attack the way the Democrats would have, in the interest of the nation. The way partisan politics is now, could that happen today?

Also, it was surprising to hear that Watergate has had a lasting effect on the public (far greater cynicism and public scrutiny of politicians), but very little lasting effect on politicians themselves.

This stuff still happens.