• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Wayfinding...

Vlaude

Cyburbian
I have just started researching wayfinding signage, ideas, landmarks, etc... I haven't found as many resources as I thought I was going to. I will be going back and reading my K. Lynch book, but was looking for some other ideas. I've been directed into researching a wayfinding system for the City I work for... Ideas for any resources would be great, comments in general, or examples of cities who have implemented a good wayfinding program (preferebly cities under 100k in pop).

Thanks

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
You may want to google Joel Katz Design -- they've done some pretty neat stuff.

Vlaude

Cyburbian
Great! Thanks... I thought this had probably been discussed before, but in my brief search on cyburbia I didn't find it. I guessed I missed it. Gedunker looks like you have a bit of experience with it. Thanks again I'm checking into it now!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
PM me with your e-mail and I will send you a copy of one I am working on. Don't expect a response until next week though, as I will be trekking through Toronto with JNL, Tranplanner, Dan, and anyone else who shows up.

mdvaden

Signs are not within the scope of my work, but I've vented my opinion to family more than once about how mundane most signs are in cities - or rural areas.

Instead of "trucks entering highway", how about a sign showing the remaining upper back triangular half of a truck - implying the front half has just driven down into the pavement - hence a truck truly entering the highway.

Neighborhood with 25 mph speeds, would have the "25" speed with a turtle underneath. Likewise, the 65 mph highways would have flames flowing off the left side of the lettering.