• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Wazz Up ?...?? New guy here.

KCgridlock

Hello from the great state of Missouri. I reside in the Kansas City area.

Some KC skylines.
Downtown

Crown Center

Country Club Plaza

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome from the other (and original) home of the Harley

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Since you are from KC, you must supply all of us with Gates BBQ ribs before you can post anyymore. ;)

Welcome aboard.

KCgridlock

Thanks for the welcomes.

I work and study urban planning so if you have any questions about KC or its urban planning masterpiece (country club plaza) let me know ;).

planasaurus

Cyburbian
KCgridlock said:
Thanks for the welcomes.

I work and study urban planning so if you have any questions about KC or its urban planning masterpiece (country club plaza) let me know ;).

Yes, one question. What is the country club palaza?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
planasaurus said:
Yes, one question. What is the country club palaza?
Back to Planning 101 with you, planasaurus! J.C. Nichols is right up there with the Van Swearingen brothers when it comes to planned communities of the 1920s. J.C. Nichols is still a functioning entity in KC, too!

Country Club Plaza is considered the first shopping center in the United States. It's not really a shopping center in the typical sense of a bunch of stores surrounding a parking lot, but rather a master planned urban retail district that was developed and managed by a single party. Picture elegant 1920s style retail buildings, with some Spanish elements, and multi-level parking above and behind the stores. After the Plaza was built in the 1920s, the area around it filled up with elegant mid-rise apartment blocks and office buildings. The Plaza is one of Kansas City's three downtowns -- there's also the original downtown and the newer Crown Center, between the Plaza and downtown.

J.C. Nichols, who developed the Plaza, also developed a good portion of KC to the south; that area is filled with textbook examples of Arts and Crafts style architecture. The areas developed by J.C. Nichols are still desirable communities; when I was looking to move to KC from Denver, I drove up and down practically every street in Romanelli Gardens, getting an idea of the real estate market.

I'd probably be eating Gates BBQ now, if THE GUY FROM A CERTAIN SUBURB OF KANSAS CITY WHO INTERVIEWED ME WASN'T SUCH AN AS... ahem. Sorry. Back to work.

By the way, if that guy is out there, you still haven't reimbursed me for my interview expenses like YOU PROMISED TWO YEARS AGO ... ahem. Sorry. Carry on.