• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

WE ARE JUST SO COOL! Thanks to the state gov???

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We are so cool now!

Ok this bothers me… Yes I love living here, and the Kalamazoo area is a terrific place. But not for as the reasons that many people think… It was not the state government that made it possible for many of the things to happen, it was a private cooperation called Downtown Kalamazoo Incorporated (DKI) but now it is being linked to the Cool Cities Initiative making it sound like the state government had something to do with it. I fully applaud the City of Kalamazoo and DKI for all their hard work in making downtown K-zoo a great place for the young people. But the idea that the Cool Cities Initiative had so much to do with it, why is it that the surrounding communities are full of Big Boxes, with no incentives to do anything else???

OK I just had to get that off my chest.

Last edited:

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
:m: cool :m: cats :m:

michaelskis said:
This probably sounds cynical as hell, but my sense is the cool in "Cool Cities" has less to do with you and I, but more to do with sending a clear signal to hip and BoBo companies that Michigan is the place for the Creative Class.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Yeah, Michigan is so cool you could store a side of meat in it for a month.

It's so hip it has difficulty seeing over its pelvis.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
:d:

jordanb said:
Yeah, Michigan is so cool you could store a side of meat in it for a month.

It's so hip it has difficulty seeing over its pelvis.
Whoah dude! That's, like, so fricken punk!

:cool:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I had to send the pic to a few guys in the office... they are going to love that one...

JordanB... how right you are.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
michaelskis said:
I fully applaud the City of Kalamazoo and DKI for all their hard work in making downtown K-zoo a great place for the young people. But the idea that the Cool Cities Initiative had so much to do with it, why is it that the surrounding communities are full of Big Boxes, with no incentives to do anything else???
I am curious, where can I find an online list of Michigan's Cool Cities? I know Saginaw is one of them, and so is Ann Arbor. Good to hear that Kalamazoo is part of the crew. I'm starting to warm up to the concept of "Cool Cities." They way I look at it, it's a "sexy" way of saying that the State is going to offer incentives for urban investment. That's a much nicer way to say "fixing up the inner cities," or saying that Michigan is going to address its "urban problem." It puts a nice gloss on something that can easily be construed as "working to help the ghetto" while being inclusive by including cities like Ann Arbor, which has no ghetto that I am aware of.

Michaelskis, perhaps you should start your own Kalamazoo "Cool Cities" blog? Some one in Ann Arbor already has one: http://astrogibs.com/coolcities/ Here's a worthwhile quote from one of the entries:

Charged with identifying ways to attract and retain 21-35 year-olds to the city, the group is inviting community members to come talk about the values and issues that should be prioritized by city officials when making decisions about affordable housing, support for the arts and economic vitality.

“We have to hold on to the creative edge,” said Conan Smith, chair of the task force. “The vibrancy of our city depends on remaining a supportive place for the next Charlotte Owen, Bob Seger or Bill Hewlett.”

The feedback from the gathering will by used by the Cool Cities Task Force to create value guidelines and policy recommendations for the City Council and various city agencies.
Though somehow, I am at a loss on why Ann Arbor has to amp up its "cool factor." It's always on those top 25 places to live lists. It outshines any Michigan city, except for Traverse City, Royal Oak, Ferndale, and maybe a couple others.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
That pic is now my desktop background. Awesome!! Who would have guessed that Dean was a straight-edger.

Since I am afraid of hanging up on people if I put them on hold, I usually set the phone by my speakers and they are treated to all kinds of hip music. This morning a sign agent was treated to some Gang of Four. Take that Michigan!

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
There are 267 cities that were 'invited' to take part in this process. I have the list and will scan it and email it to you. Basically, if you want to be a 'cool' city, you just have to sign up. Coldwater's cool :) It does give you some 'extra points' when applying for state grants.

This probably sounds cynical as hell, but my sense is the cool in "Cool Cities" has less to do with you and I, but more to do with sending a clear signal to hip and BoBo companies that Michigan is the place for the Creative Class.
Basically that's it. That and trying to keep the college kids in MI after they graduate.

Interesting though, there were 13,000 people that took a survey stated they want safe streets, affordable housing, jobs, and local services, and NOT so much the artsy fartsy stuff.