• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

We bought dirt!!

Habanero

Cyburbian

:-D We're going to be homeowners soon! The process, after reading up on everything, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The builder is busy building equity for us as the next phase is going to cost more, but it was meant to be. It was the last lot in the phase, north/south exposure, and sits on a 18-hole golf course.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
That's not dirt. Everone knows dirt is supposed to be black. ;-)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Congrats on your new dirt ownership! We want pics when its done! So when is the finish date?

It's lovely. A few curtains, walls, roof and furniture and, hey, it practically looks like "move-in" condition. :-D

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Congrats on the new dirt that you bought!!! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Looks like a bit of a fixer-upper to me. Congrats - can you walk anywhere (besides the golf course)?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Congratulations!

Now tell that builder to put up some erosion-control devices! You don't want your dirt all over the sidewalk and streets, do you? :-}

Habanero

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
It's lovely. A few curtains, walls, roof and furniture and, hey, it practically looks like "move-in" condition. :-D
They're expecting the home to be done at the end of May, but depending on the monsoon season it may be done in early June. So much of the home looks like it has been upgraded but it's standard- thank goodness because I wanted a garden tub!

It's part of a master planned community and they're building a golf club so we can walk either there or a Serrano's being built right around the corner for good eats. They're also putting in jogging/walking trails throughout so we can get to the new elemantary school being built, the pool, and fitness center. I love that I won't have to drive to the gym anymore. Since it's also near a major intersection, but at the back of the subdivision we should get a grocery store anchor in near us we'll be able to walk to as well. :-}

I'm going to go out every so often and take pictures, I'm also going to take a hammer with me so if I see a funky 2x4 I can break it. :-0 We don't want any funky studs!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
You know, I have a tiller what would work wonders for you… Get those boards and stakes out of the way, with a sprinkler, some peat moss, you could have a great looking garden. Congratulations on the acquisition of dirt!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Congratulations on your new dirt ownership. No time like the present to begin major agricultural production on your "dirt"....also, I recommend doing whatever you can to add to your local Code Administrator's headaches. Find out if they regulate apiaries (beekeeping) and if not then start a beehive (be sure to claim it is a 'hobby' but at the same time set up a sales stand in your front yard and if the city complains cite 'Right to Farm Act'!). Have fun!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Why a slab on-grade home ?

besides $,$$$ for a basement

Are you going to build a SafeRoom?

Last edited:

Habanero

Cyburbian
SGB said:
Don't forget the shatter-proof windows!

;)
yeah, we bought one street off the course just because I didn't like the idea of golf balls flying into our yard- they're a choking hazard for dogs.

Hopefully the slab will be poured today or tomorrow and then wals will go up soon after. Home Depot is going to be seeing a lot of me!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Congrats on your dirt purchase. Looks like a wonderful location for a mud pie manufacturing center. However, I bet your dirt is probably zoned R1, which would prevent any such manufacturing. To bad...

Habanero

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Yay!!! this is so exciting! how much extra are the exta tall doorways!
:-D they said that was "too custom" but really, he's used to ducking and this is just our first home. The ceilings are about 10-11 feet except in the living room where they're super tall. I wish they could lower that part a bit, we've got two a/c units being installed because of it. At least we're getting doubkle-pane windows. And four bedrooms, so when we need the extra space we'll have it.

Dragon

Cyburbian
Congratulations!!! You should have statues made of your Quiznos’ rat-things to greet people at the front door.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Maister said:
Congratulations on your new dirt ownership. No time like the present to begin major agricultural production on your "dirt"....also, I recommend doing whatever you can to add to your local Code Administrator's headaches. Find out if they regulate apiaries (beekeeping) and if not then start a beehive (be sure to claim it is a 'hobby' but at the same time set up a sales stand in your front yard and if the city complains cite 'Right to Farm Act'!). Have fun!
Maister you Punk...

Please leave those wonderful people alone, do all you can to help them.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
[sarcasm]Congrats on the new contractor's special. Good luck on blazing the sprawl trail while waiting for the grass and landscaping grow. Don't use too much water.[sarcasm]

(no flames please, I couldn't help myself)

Seriously though, good luck on the construction and watch those builders so they don't screw you with the 'extras'.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
We don't want any funky studs!
So much for any of the Men of Cyburbia coming to visit.

Congratulations!

Slab on grade is not all that common 'round these parts due to frost. Once you've dug four feet for your foundation, you might as well put in the crawl space or basement, then locate all of your utilities down there.

So how long before you start landscaping? You would be better off getting in some of your plants before the monsoon season begins, so they get water to grow their roots before it gets dry.

kms

Cyburbian
Good news! Now, do you have the pleasure of selecting all of your fixtures (lights, faucets, sinks, etc..)? Friends say that you can be overwhelmed by the choices out there.

As far as erosion controls - it's pretty flat there, so just make sure the contractor uses rock construction entrance. ;-)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Congrats on the lovely dirt! Brings a whole new meaning to the term "kitchen garden"--very convenient, but the tomato frames are a little big....

JNL

Cyburbian
Congratulations, very exciting!

I look forward to updates as your new abode takes shape :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
JNA said:
Why a slab on-grade home ?
Houses in the Southwest US don't have basements, for some reason. It's not because the water table is just a few inches below grade. In Las Cruces,builders usually didn't build basements, because "that's the way it was always done." Many houses in Cruces have walk-out basements, though.`

Habanero

Cyburbian
We still have to go to the "design center" but since I wanted to do some home stuff I think we're going to go with the basic elements. Besides, I'd rather not finance an ungraded sink and pay 3 times what I would've paid getting it at the local hardware store and installing it ourselves. They usually mark everything up by 50-75% so I'd rather save and throw the basic flooring down and then re-do it, besides it'll be fun to tile the kitchen ourselves.

By monsoon season I mean strong winds and sand- hardly any water. The front of the home will be desert landscaped and the rear yard will have some turf (for the pooches) and xeriscaped beds. I'm getting giddy thinking about installing a drip system and painting the rooms how we want them.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Houses in the Southwest US don't have basements, for some reason. It's not because the water table is just a few inches below grade. In Las Cruces,builders usually didn't build basements, because "that's the way it was always done." Many houses in Cruces have walk-out basements, though.`
Is it also because of the price of excavation?

ludes98

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
Is it also because of the price of excavation?
Yes. The soils here can be clay or rock and very difficult to excavate. Some pools companies also have an add-on item for a hard dig as well. Since excavation of basements isn't common there aren't too many contractors which also helps the price increase.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Maybe it's like Florida; there are only basements here in the northern, central sections of the state. Elsewhere, they would be "lower-level swimming pools".

H

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Maybe it's like Florida; there are only basements here in the northern, central sections of the state. Elsewhere, they would be "lower-level swimming pools".
Yes, I have had to adjust to that fact. Growing up in Ga, a house without a basement was like a house without a roof. .... This might explain the divorce rate in Fla being high, folks have no basement to go and hide out in :-S

I guess that is what the beach is for :cool:

boiker

Cyburbian
congrats on your new ownership adventure! Hopefully, the dirt will satisfy your every need. :)

Habanero

Cyburbian
boiker said:
congrats on your new ownership adventure! Hopefully, the dirt will satisfy your every need. :)
Our agent just called us, they should be pouring the slab very soon. Moving cannot come soon enough. Now that I see the light at the end of the renting tunnel I want to move.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Very..... um .... nice dirt. It was nice of them to throw a few pieces of wood and wire in for you.

Congrats, decorating and buying new home furnishings is the best part about a new house.

Have fun.

Rem

Cyburbian
Nicely done Hab - you've obviously got the contractor bluffed. Maybe it's because of yours and Mr Habanero's generous height - you've made them afraid of the consequences of slow work.

Yes, that's a very nice upgrade to standard, run of the mill dirt. The bottom of the tub is an especially nice touch. :-D

More seriously: you must be really excited!

You are making me a little "jealous" -- I need a Real Estate Fix. It has been toooo long since I had a fixer-upper/rental property/et al. Time to come up with the financing for a fixer-upper downtown and convert an office (or old bank, mayhap) into a live-work space. Reading your thread has me drooling like one of Pavlov's dogs. :p (That's a 'tongue-hanging-out-and-drooling' smiley.)

Last edited:

tsc

Cyburbian
lovely, .... it has a nice dry quality to it...and no lawn to mow.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Lookin Good. Makin great progress. Have you every stud in the house to make sure there are not "Funky Studs."

Now you need to get the electric and plumbing in , then progress from here on out will just wiz by.

When it the move in party?

Habanero

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:
Lookin Good. Makin great progress. Have you every stud in the house to make sure there are not "Funky Studs."

Now you need to get the electric and plumbing in , then progress from here on out will just wiz by.

When it the move in party?
Yup, studs checked for quality. I didn't know we were getting 2x6 construction and when we went to look at the studs I noticed. oops, I guess I missed asking that. Is it normal to have a mix of 2x6 and 2x4? The 2x6 is one the load bearing walls and all exterior walls, the 2x4 was around the closets and other smaller areas.

The electrical outlets are in and the wiring has been started. The a/c vents are in, as are the fan outlets. I cannot wait to move, just have to make it until June!

boiker

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
Is it normal to have a mix of 2x6 and 2x4? The 2x6 is one the load bearing walls and all exterior walls, the 2x4 was around the closets and other smaller areas.
[spock on] One could come to that logical conclusion.[/spock off]

My old frame house was a 2x6 load bearing construction w/ 2x4 interior walls.
Heck, even my detached garage was built 2x6 on the load bearing walls.

Habanero

Cyburbian
boiker said:
[spock on] One could come to that logical conclusion.[/spock off]

My old frame house was a 2x6 load bearing construction w/ 2x4 interior walls.
Heck, even my detached garage was built 2x6 on the load bearing walls.
Thanks Boiker! :-D I cannot wait to see what we make in equity on this home. Others in the area have made upwards of 30k in the first year, I'm hoping for the same, I doubt it will happen, but I'm hoping.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
You know... that looks a little close to the property line, I am thinking that someone should go out and measure the setbacks... (just kidding)

Looks like it will be a great house!