• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

We bought dirt!!

Habanero

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
You know... that looks a little close to the property line, I am thinking that someone should go out and measure the setbacks... (just kidding)

Looks like it will be a great house!

no lie, we don't get much for side yard setbacks out here.. but they make up for it with the golf course, fitness center, pool, tot lots, and tennis courts.

JNL

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
no lie, we don't get much for side yard setbacks out here.. but they make up for it with the golf course, fitness center, pool, tot lots, and tennis courts.

It's not in a gated community is it? 8-!

What is this 'tot lot' you speak of?

Habanero

Cyburbian
JNL said:
It's not in a gated community is it? 8-!

What is this 'tot lot' you speak of?

Nooo, no gates. Tots= little people, so they get little playgrounds throughout the subdivision.

They've also got a little cafe at the golf club and they're building a Mexican place with awesome margaritas within walking distance. It's also within walking distance of the Town Hall, if they ever start paying more I may have to take that seriously.

JNL

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
Nooo, no gates. Tots= little people, so they get little playgrounds throughout the subdivision. .

Glad to hear it - though of course it's an individual choice *ducking to avoid flames*

[CPTED hat on]
Lots of playgrounds sounds good, though I have seen many bad examples of poor siting giving very little surveillance from the street. These ones don't seem to get used. I've got some pics of a real shocker I took the other week. Halfway down an alleyway 8-!
[/CPTED hat off]

and they're building a Mexican place with awesome margaritas within walking distance.

Excellent! Sounds pretty cool. I asked about gates because you would be unlikely to get that range of facilities in a subdivision here unless they were behind gates :-\

Habanero

Cyburbian
This is the newest picture I have access to at work. We've got drywall now and they're 16 days out from finish. We close in 30 days and then I can do a happy dance and wash clothes in my neptunes! :-D Pay no attention to the giant in the garage...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Man, there's already graffitti.

Neighborhoods decline alot faster these days, don't they?

;-)

Zoning Goddess said:
Uh, what's that mean, you can do wash in your "neptunes"?
It means she is continuing to Make Me Jealous, humph!

Neptune washer and dryer. By Maytag, me thinks. (I am still stuck with a laundromat for the moment. But these are on my Wish List, along with owning my own live-work space in downtown Fairfield. I swear: I really am drug free these days. Can't a gal DREAM??? :) )

Habanero

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
maytag neptunes- the front loaders.. *swoon* twas ma birthday present from the giant.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Zoning Goddess said:

I believe that refers to the new washer and dryer models from Maytag.

EDIT: the other domestic goddesses got to it before me. :p :)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
I believe that refers to the new washer and dryer models from Maytag.

EDIT: the other domestic goddesses got to it before me. :p :)

Mendelman, glad to hear you consider yourself to be a domestic goddess. Not to be confused with a zoning goddess, of course.

I was not familiar with the washer/dryer. I thought maybe it was a regional euphemism for what we southerners call "doing housework while nekkid".

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
JNL said:
[CPTED hat on]Lots of playgrounds sounds good, though I have seen many bad examples of poor siting giving very little surveillance from the street. [/CPTED hat off](snip, snip)

Don't playgrounds with proximity to the street have a higher probability of child abduction, as opposed to those in the interior? Does the age of the predominant user matter?

I ask because we moved a playground for pre-schoolers from an intersection to an interior location because the proximity to the street seemed to encourage "snatching".

JNL

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
Don't playgrounds with proximity to the street have a higher probability of child abduction, as opposed to those in the interior? Does the age of the predominant user matter?

I ask because we moved a playground for pre-schoolers from an intersection to an interior location because the proximity to the street seemed to encourage "snatching".

Will reply in a new thread :)

Edit: link to new thread

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Look at that Southwestern goodness! Makes me wish I was in "they're building new houses at prices planners can afford" country.

Swamp cooler or refrigerated air? Looks like the lot drains to the street; how about the rear? Don't see any swales.

Zoning Goddess said:
I was not familiar with the washer/dryer. I thought maybe it was a regional euphemism for what we southerners call "doing housework while nekkid".
I would imagine such a reference would involve the moon, not neptune. ;-)

Er, and back On Topic: like fine wine, Habanero's Dirt continues to Improve with Age.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Look at that Southwestern goodness! Makes me wish I was in "they're building new houses at prices planners can afford" country.

Swamp cooler or refrigerated air? Looks like the lot drains to the street; how about the rear? Don't see any swales.

Refrigerated air only, and the lot drains towards the street. I'm glad they have houses out here planners can afford, it was a nice surprise to know the house will be all in my name. :)

Habanero

Cyburbian
:-D

We've been homeowners for 3 weeks this Thursday. We've gotten some of what we wanted done, but we still have a very long list.

Awesome neighbors on both sides, couldn't ask for nicer people.

this is the front

Last edited by a moderator:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Looking at the garage door is up picture, leads me ask -

How long before or where is the "Clutter" ?

Habanero

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Looking at the garage door is up picture, leads me ask -

How long before or where is the "Clutter" ?

Never! We don't collect clutter. There are a few orgainzed crates of painting supplies, fertilizers, and spare hockey items, but we throw stuff away if we haven't used it in over 1-2 years. Sentimental items are saved, but most of them are small so we have underbed storage containers. We are installing a peg board with holders for garden equipment at some point. :)

boiker

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
Never! We don't collect clutter. There are a few orgainzed crates of painting supplies, fertilizers, and spare hockey items, but we throw stuff away if we haven't used it in over 1-2 years. Sentimental items are saved, but most of them are small so we have underbed storage containers. We are installing a peg board with holders for garden equipment at some point. :)

you now own a home.. you are no longer a transient renter.. you will clutter....especially when the little habaneros arrive.

I feel a wager coming on. ;-) Who wants to join the "how long till habanero creates clutter" pool.

Edit: Good color choice! I'll post pics of my house if it ever stays clean enought to get good pics. Kids don' t know the meaning of "pick up your stuff and keep it picked up."

Habanero

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Very nice... congratulations! I like your kitchen color :)

It's a Matha Stewart color, it's my little protest about the government going after her. :p