• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

We want your Salary History so we can low-ball an offer to you.

el Guapo

Capitalist
What do you think about the practice of employers asking for a salary history as part of your application process?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
El Guapo said:
What do you think about the practice of employers asking for a salary history as part of your application process?
Sometimes they want to know if you are making more than they can offer so they won't waste their time interviewing you.

donk

Cyburbian
I don't like it. I can't see how it is relevant, unless the agency posting knows the cost of living in different places.

I don't understand how it is relevant to making a decision, if they have a budget for the position in mind. I usually look to see what the pay is before applying, when the question comes up in interviews I usually answer with a vague number that is slightly higher then what I earn now.

el Guapo

Capitalist
But maybe you're willing to trade salary for other factors such as geographic location, or cost of living?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I've only ever been asked this question by prospective American employers...up here, it's the "state expected salary" question. I hate that, 'cuz I don't want to price myself out of the competition - and I don't want to low-ball myself either.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I agree with Giff

I hate getting through an interview only to find out the person wont take my salary offer. Then, even if they do, they'll always be looking for their next best thing...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo said:
But maybe you're willing to trade salary for other factors such as geographic location, or cost of living?
The give them the history and explain that in your cover letter.

el Guapo

Capitalist
NOYGDBW

I just don't think it is any of their business. The employer should state the salary range. If you as the applicant expect more then don't apply. Why not ask for a medical history or a quick search of your residence before the interview. There are far too many people asking questions they have no business asking in our society.

I once applied for a job and they ask for a salary history during the interview and I politely declined. I told them that it was between myself and the IRS what I made. They were not impressed. I then told them I'd give them mine if they gve me theirs. Suprise - I didn't get the job.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
With this job, I told them my current salary, and got from them the city budget.

Then I knew what the guy ahead of me made, and upped it a little from there.

Jeff

Cyburbian
My current job they just asked me waht I wanted....easy enough, I guess.

ugh. i hate that question. after i took my job with my old consulting firm, i found out they would have been willing to go $5k higher than what i asked. sigh. that's what i love about where i am now, with civil service you get what you get. no bargaining, nothing. i know exactly what i'll be making in 30 years. and i'm totally ok with that.

When I took the job with my current firm, I sort of low-balled the salary. I wasn't sure what they were willing to offer and I didn't want to price myself out of a private sector job so I took their first offer. After working here for a full year and (single-handedly) managing up to five concurrent projects, I made sure that my raise (negotiated up from 10% to 19%) reflected the amount of work that I did and am capable of doing in the future.

Planderella said:
After working here for a full year and (single-handedly) managing up to five concurrent projects, I made sure that my raise (negotiated up from 10% to 19%) reflected the amount of work that I did and am capable of doing in the future.
You *are* a bad @$$ beyoch! :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I can see both sides. If I were hiring, it would be a screening tool. Is the person too expensive or too low (lack of experience?). Have they shown a regular progression? That is, if they started the job three years ago, have they had an increase or are they still getting paid what they started at?

At the same time, I think it is intrusive of them unless they are also willing to state what they will pay. They should also be willing, as EG suggests, to consider other factors that may influence a decision on salary. Health/dental/life insurance, vacation days, holidays and sick leave, and other benefits are part of an overall package.

el Guapo

Capitalist
KMateja said:
ugh. i hate that question. after i took my job with my old consulting firm, i found out they would have been willing to go $5k higher than what i asked. sigh. that's what i love about where i am now, with civil service you get what you get. no bargaining, nothing. i know exactly what i'll be making in 30 years. and i'm totally ok with that.
I'll just bet you buy Saturn's too!

El Guapo said:

I'll just bet you buy Saturn's too!
If it were up to me, we would! but we're a honda family.

anyway, i also think that when we were moving from SC to NY, we just had no idea about how much cost of living factored. I started in SC at around $25K, I was SO psyched when I got a raise to $27K even though it caused problems of salary envy in my office. when we came to NY, starter salaries were in the high 30s, low 40s. geography is such a huge part of what your salary looks like.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Moving from the Chicago suburbs to Wisconsin eight years ago, I took a $3,000 pay cut and came out ahead. I saved $3600 on my apartment alone, and got a bigger one in the process.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I think that it is a Catch 22. If you offer your history and they think your price is too high, they don't interview you. However, the salary history doesn't take other things into consideration. What if this person was willing to take a pay cut to work in a more desirable place? Or, what if this person was head and shoulders better than the other applicants, and the employer could somehow budget extra money to hire this person?

I prefer it when they offer a salary range, then you know what to expect.

I interviewed for a job where they didn't post it, didn't ask for a history, nor did they bring it up until the 2nd interview when they made me an offer. It was very frustrating going through the entire process without knowing what to expect. Their offer (surprise!) was significantly lower than I expected, especially for a private consulting firm.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
I enjoy the fact that they haven't filled my old job, even after raising the wage from $37 to $48k...

According to my boss, the job "grew with me", and is now worth quite a bit more. Shame they weren't willing to pay me anymore, eh?

Jeff

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
I enjoy the fact that they haven't filled my old job, even after raising the wage from $37 to $48k...

Isn't it odd, the things that make us happy?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mastiff said:
Yeah, and I'm laughing after I left the private sector and within 18 months their stock was delisted and they had 86% turnover. They were eventually spun out of the corporation and sold to a former GE exec because they couldn't hit their numbers. Crash and burn baby!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Mike DeVuono said:

Isn't it odd, the things that make us happy?
It's very satisfying. Especially since the choice to move on was tilted by a Coucilman, now the Mayor, who impugned my integrity. Even after being urged by my old boss, among others, to recant, he did not...

So yeah, having him realize after the fact that the DEVELOPER was lying, and not the city employee, makes me happy. I was even asked if I wanted to "come home"... *smile*

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
interview question: why go from a 3 million budget and 15 employees to 200 K and 5 employees?

response: have you ever dealt with HUD Section 8 housing?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
For you Kansas folks...

Do you know Gardner, KS? SW of KC, it is.

I applied for the CDD job there. I understand I came in second to someone's nephew...

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: For you Kansas folks...

Mastiff said:

I applied for the CDD job there. I understand I came in second to someone's nephew...
Ahhhh...nepotism. What a great hiring practice!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have seen that in the private sector, but I guess I am a bit surprised to see it still around in the public sector. Of course, there is still the "Good Ole Boys" network in many areas.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Re: For you Kansas folks...

Mike DeVuono said:

Ahhhh...nepotism. What a great hiring practice!
And I found out I didn't get the job... when I got a copy of the weekly paper, and it was in the news. These people didn't contact me for 3 weeks after the SECOND interview. I wrote a very nasty letter to the CA, and copied all the council and mayor.

It was just real lame.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: For you Kansas folks...

Mastiff said:

I know that nephew too! Likeable guy. Dan has meet him also, I'll bet.

Not a good fit - Gardner's way too "Johnson County" for you Mastiff. ;)

I once got a rejection letter from the City of Topeka almost a year after the interview.

Mastiff

Gunfighter

El Guapo said:

I know that nephew too! Likeable guy. Dan had meet him also, I'll bet. Gardner's way too "Johnson County" for you Mastiff. ;)
Plenty of "johnsons" in that town...

But, you're probably right, if Stewie was any indication of how people are in that town, I wouldn't have fit in.

Mastiff

Gunfighter

El Guapo said:
I once got a rejection letter from the City of Topeka almost a year after the interview.
That's lame, too.

But this was the second interview, meeting with other department heads, lunch with the mayor and bigwigs... And was told I was one of two canidates, with a decision being made quickly.

Courtesy requires a phone call on that on. In fact, any time I've hired, I send a letter to applicats not interviewed, and called anyone who was...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Mastiff said:
My old PD job ... it's being advertised at $35K to $37K. I was making $38K when I left in October.

If you think nepotism, good 'ol boy networks, and other such things are still all too common, try finding a job in the Buffalo, New York area. Not only have many local governments "gone Cincinnatti" years ago with their planning agencies, but the few that are remaining are subject to some of the nation's strangest civil service requirements. Pre-residency, for one ... you have to live in the municipality where you're applying for the job at least four months before you are eligible just to apply. Yes, you have to establish residency before -- not after, but before -- you apply for a local government job. It's a way of preserving political patronage under the guises of a civil service system, since the prospective pool of applicants is extremely limited.

The few UB MUP grads that stayed in the Buffalo area work for non-profits and MPOs. Yeah, there's real big money in grant writing and arranging paint-up-clean-up programs for a community development corporation, uh huh ...

pandersen

Cyburbian
Oh, I' Valuable Now, eh!

Mastiff said:

According to my boss, the job "grew with me", and is now worth quite a bit more. Shame they weren't willing to pay me anymore, eh?
For me, I rather resented being presented with an offer for a promotion/rise in salary to a senior planner title only after I came back from an outside interview having accepted their offer of employment. This happened despite my earlier request(s) for advancement in my old job.

It seems I was only valuable enough to consider for advancement only only after I was "out the door". Oh well, their loss.

I'm quite happy with my decision to "move on" as I was able to move closer to home, and got an even bigger pay increase than was offered had I "stayed put" and accepted the promotion.

I just love it when a plan comes together!

Habanero

Cyburbian

El Guapo said:

I got a thanks for interviewing letter from a city I never interviewed with. I hate form letters.

I didn't want to give a salary history because a- they can look it up and b- I'm making about the same as I was in Dallas, but with AZ state income tax (TX doesn't have that) it's about 10k more on paper.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: For you Kansas folks...

TexasPlanner said:

I got a thanks for interviewing letter from a city I never interviewed with.
The same thing has happened to me. WTF?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Re: Re: Re: For you Kansas folks...

Michael Stumpf said:

The same thing has happened to me. WTF?
The new wife and I keep going to interviews under assumed names... Y'alls.

It beats paying for vacations!