• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

We who are about to AICP salute you!

SGB

Cyburbian
Good luck.

And remember, you're taking the exam for the children!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
good luck and dont worry we will just ignore those letters ofter your name if you pass ;-)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Relax, it will be easy. Just remember to spell AICP correctly. Oh, and your name too. That, and get a passing grade.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Guap:

You'll do fine.....if nothing else, you had more study materials than most exam takers! :)

Don't stress...it's not that hard if you're a good test taker....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
AICP = Any Idiot Can Pass.

You'll do fine. Just remember ... when in doubt, pick Radburn, Dolan v Tigard, Metromedia v San Diego, Country Club Plaza, Daniel Burnham, ISTEA, Ambler v Euclid, and 660 feet.

Don't forget to memorize the 1970, 1980, 1990 and 2000 populations and ranks of the top 100 SMSAs and CMSAs in the United States.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Best of luck buddy...

Do they still ask questions like..."Based on an annual salary of $55,000 your AICP yearly dues will be....?"

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I'm taking the AICP exam tomorrow, too...

and reading the Cyburbia forums has given me all the knowledge I need to pass with flying colors.

I hope.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The only fear I experienced in taking the Any Idiot Can Plan test was when I looked up and realized that I was the first in the room to complete the exam. Yes, I passed.

Good luck all.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Lemme' recall an old, old post.

32) Which one of the following applications is LEAST likely to be approved by the Boulder Planning Commission?

A. A methadone clinic for transsexual Tibetan heroin addicts.
B. A prototype "Amsterdam-style" coffeehouse.
C. Design review for the Boulder Womyn's Center Valerie Solanis annex.
D. Portland, Oregon.
E. A PCS panel mounted inside a church steeple.

104) A developer wants to build a 20,000 square foot office building on a 10,000 square foot lot. There will be six off street parking spaces, and the first floor will be occupied by a health clinic specializing in pre-natal care for low income women. The front door is 300 feet from a bus stop, and 15% landscaping coverage of the lot is required. What is the FAR?

A. 2.0.
B. 0.5.
C. 30,000.
D. Portland, Oregon.
E. I'm from Canada, and we use meters, eh?

54) What's my zoning?

A. What's your address?
B. What's your parcel ID number?
C. What's your legal description?
D. Portland, Oregon.
E. Uhh ... this is the HOUSTON Planning Department ...

25) What are the typical colors found on a zoning map?

A. Red=residential, blue=commercial, green=industrial.
B. Yellow=residential, red=commercial, grey=industrial.
C. Green=residential, yellow=commercial, red=industrial.
D. Portland, Oregon.
E. Might as well paint it all red, damnit ... y'all a bunch of damn Communists! Get the hell off my land! Lock and load ...

3) What is the ideal hairstyle for a planner?

A. A power cut, to establish rapport with developer's representatives at the office.
B. Cornrows, to establish rapport with low income citizens in the community.
C. A mullet, to establish rapport with contractors in the field.
D. Portland, Oregon.
E. It's all moot, because you'll lose all your hair after a couple of years of this.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dan - I still laugh every time I read that post.

el Guapo - Just remember the answer to the RLUIPA question is "We dont beleive in all that constitutional crap around here"

el Guapo

Capitalist
After Action Report

Well I don't know if I passed or not but here is my report.
1. It was a fair test. I only thought two questions came from the ozone.
2. A person that really studied and read the recommended reading list should have a good change of passing with some 3-5 years experience in the field in various public sector jobs.
3. The test didn't have the deep long word problems that I assumed would be there.
4. Know the court cases and the legal name of the major decisions. About 6 questions there. There are some politics and agendas found within questions, but nothing I didn't expect.
5. It took me all of 1.5 hours to answer the questions and another 1/2 hour to review and record them.
6. The testing staff was professional. And the facilities were nice and easily found.
7. The Chapter Presidents Manual, The Green Book, Experience, familiarity with demograhics and the Ethics manual were about 90% of the test.
8. Things I found missing on the test: Statistics, convoluted ethics questions, and math other than calculating slope.
9. Much more focus on getting public consent than I expected. Know the difference between Delpi, Charette, Lineal...yada yada.
10. Me personally ? Well I think I have about a 65% chance of passing. I was weak on consent building and found the wording or the question structure confusing on enough questions that I just had to guess on a few.
11. Going back over the questions didn't help much. There were not a lot of clues to one question found in another question. And you really either knew it straight off or not.
12. I'll really be ready next year if it is necessary. I hope it is not necessary.

I took the AICP today too. My test questions were very different. There were quite a few questions about population trends in the last 40 years. I didn't have any slope questions nor did I have any questions that dealt with charettes. My questions seemed more geared toward a planner practicing at the state or federal level. I had a number of questions about federal programs and how they are administered.

There were very few skills questions such as FAR or calculating number of parking places required. The ones I encountered were quite simple.

I would say I have about a 65% chance that I passed the test too.

After seeing the questions on the test, I would probably not give too much more credibility to an AICP planner over one that doesn't have the certification.

NHPlanner

Staff member
After reading el Guapo and JSee's posts....I have a question...

Were there different versions of the exam this year? My understanding is that the AICP exam has always been the same for everyone that took it. Interesting change of philosophy for the exam if there were different versions this year....

NHPlanner

Staff member
JSee said:
After seeing the questions on the test, I would probably not give too much more credibility to an AICP planner over one that doesn't have the certification.
While I can see your point on the surface, I still disagree.

Having the AICP credentials at least shows a potential employer of one's commitment to the profession....especially those AICP'ers that follow through on the CPDP program. I (and most employers in my neck of the woods) give preference to an AICP applicant over a non-certified applicant. Just the way it is in the northeast.

el Guapo

Capitalist
To me it was a legitimacy issue coming from a geography background. It is or will be my way of showing other planners that I am not one of many that claims the title planner without making an investment in the profession. Will it ever pay off financially? No, quite the opposite. It will always be a drain with the commie fee schedule they impose. Was that a respectful criticism of the profession? Or was that a grip about the tendency of anything to do with APA to be "progressive”? ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A couple of years ago, AICP results were published on the APA Web site, in the membership directory, several days before notices were mailed. Keep checking the APA membersip directory online; those letters "AICP" may appear after your name in the database long before you hear word by snail mail.

When you get the letter, though, you'll also get a laminated wallet card describing the AICP secret handshake. Pretty cool!

Jeff

Cyburbian
I'm sure you guys did fine!

Now for all the photoshoppers....

A few years ago a guy in our work took the PE and we made up a fake failure letter and mailed it to his house...

Lyburnum

Cyburbian
I took the exam this weekend as well. 65% chance of passing sounds about right to me too!

There must have been at least 2 versions of the test because there were defintiely 2 slope questions on my test.

I would say there were 3 - 5 questions that I had absolutely no clue about and for which one answer seemed as good as any other.

At my testing location there were about 15 test takers. It took about 2 hours and 15 minutes for the first person in my group to finish. I was the second one finished and it took me about 2 hours and 40 minutes to answer the ones i knew, go back to the ones I wasn't sure of and finally go through and make sure I had filled in the bubble I actually intended to fill in.

NHPlanner said:

Were there different versions of the exam this year? My understanding is that the AICP exam has always been the same for everyone that took it. Interesting change of philosophy for the exam if there were different versions this year....

Repo Man

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
After reading el Guapo and JSee's posts....I have a question...

I thought I remember someone saying that there are a few different versions of the test, so the person sitting next to you in the exam may be taking a different test. I don't think that the entire test is different, just some questions.

I missed the registration deadline this year, I'll be knee-deep in wedding planning next year, so I won't attempt to take the exam again until 2005 and by then I think it will be a computer only test.

Good luck to everyone who took it. Now the real test is waiting weeks and weeks for your scores. ;)

Friend of Flavel

Cyburbian
I found the test questions to be more convoluted than I had hoped, though this was not unexpected. I don't feel good at all about my chances of passing. I studied pretty diligently for about 4 months, was part of a study group, read everything on the short recommended reading list, and I still feel just shellshocked.

I hate to disect the test, but does anyone have a clue about the answer to geothermal heat source question???

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Friend of Flavel said:
I hate to disect the test, but does anyone have a clue about the answer to geothermal heat source question???
D) Portland, Oregon.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Friend of Flavel said:
Sorry, I didn't have that question. But can anyone tell me what the answer was to the which of the four graphs is best question?

indigo

Cyburbian
the four graphs? all i know is that i had maps that looked like "spin art" on my version of the test.

according to the exam administrators at my testing center, there were four different versions of the test. i was thinking that this just meant that the questions were in a different order, until i talked to two people after the test who said things like, "what about that campus parking question?" and, as far as i could tell, i didn't have a campus parking question.

i don't think that any more studying of the materials that were suggested (AICP cd rom set, Planetizen online study prep, Chapter Presidents' manual, Green Bible, AICP advisory rulings/codes, Land Use in a Nutshell, etc.) would have helped me do better on the exam. the questions that i had to guess on were because they were unclear/convoluted or required rather specialized knowledge (e.g. sewage pump station vs sewage lift station) that i just don't have and wouldn't have gotten from those sources.

good luck, all!

Jeff

Cyburbian
indigo said:
the questions that i had to guess on were because they were unclear/convoluted or required rather specialized knowledge (e.g. sewage pump station vs sewage lift station) that i just don't have and wouldn't have gotten from those sources.

Do you remember what that question was? Was it what are the differences? or benefits? IMO once you start getting into stuff like that you are really pushing the envelope as to what is "planning" and getting more into civil engineering. Pump and lifts stations were the topic of discussion in a sanitary design class I had a while back.

indigo

Cyburbian
the question was something along the lines of, "what is the primary function of a sewage pump station?" and the only two choices that i remember were . . .

a) moving sewage long distances
b) elevating sewage

(and all that i know about this subject is that lift stations elevate sewage because **** only runs downhill)

i only mention this as an example of one of the things that i wouldn't have known, no matter how much i had studied.

i sort of think that i'm probably not supposed to be discussing specific questions in a public forum, and so i'll restrain myself from going on about other questions at the moment.

ecofem

Cyburbian
I think I'm in denial that I actually took the test on Saturday....

I've been having flashes of Spin Art (TM) ever since... I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
indigo said:
i sort of think that i'm probably not supposed to be discussing specific questions in a public forum, and so i'll restrain myself from going on about other questions at the moment.
Continue discussing... it will give those of us taking the test next year a better understanding of just how bad the questions will be.

indigo

Cyburbian
Continue discussing...
hmmm. maybe i don't have to follow all that ethical stuff quite
yet . . .

ok. here's two more. maybe talking about will get them pulled out of the question pool.

it went something like this . . . "in a city with an ad valorum tax schedule, which of the following would have the greatest negative impact on the school district:

a) an assisted living complex for seniors (no negative impact as far as i can tell -- brings in $$$ without kids)
b) a Traditional Neighborhood Development
c) an exclusive gated community
d) i don't recall the other choice

it seemed to me that it was between b and c but that there wasn't any way to know -- are we to assume that the "exclusive" community would bring in more taxes with fewer kids than the TND? or that the TND, with a higher overall density but greater mix of uses, would have some commercial and institutional properties to help offset the impact of the new residential? either i was missing the point entirely or there wasn't enough information to answer the question.

another paraphrase, "according to the constitution, the authority to exercise eminent domain is vested in which of the following . . .
a) the supreme court
b) the state
c) the county
d) the municipality

ok, we all know that the constitution says that private land shall not be taken for public purposes without just compensation. it seems to me that the authority isn't directly vested by the constitution in any one place but that it has been spelled out over the years through planning enabling legislation that passes power from the states down to the local level, and by a set of case law (all that stuff that i was supposed to study). again, perhaps i'm missing something obvious here, or thinking way too hard about it, but it seemed to me that the question itself was problematic.

biscuit

Cyburbian
indigo said:

another paraphrase, "according to the constitution, the authority to exercise eminent domain is vested in which of the following . . .
a) the supreme court
b) the state
c) the county
d) the municipality

ok, we all know that the constitution says that private land shall not be taken for public purposes without just compensation. it seems to me that the authority isn't directly vested by the constitution in any one place but that it has been spelled out over the years through planning enabling legislation that passes power from the states down to the local level, and by a set of case law (all that stuff that i was supposed to study). again, perhaps i'm missing something obvious here, or thinking way too hard about it, but it seemed to me that the question itself was problematic.
Perhaps I have forgotten everyrthing I learned in land-use-law courses but shouldn't there be a fifth option, (e) b, c and d. All three have a vested public interest and police powers for enforcement of these interest - within present legal definitions. This is a really bad question

ecofem

Cyburbian
Indigo -

We had the same version of the test.

Both questions you've cited were onces that I went back and forth on.

I believe the State has the power of eminent domain, which has been delegated down to county/municipal governments over time.

I also went back and forth on the other question, and finally answered the TND because it would probably generate more school aged children and lower property taxes when compared to the gated community. But I probably reasoned too much and got that answer wrong.

who knows? It's all a bad dream to me now......

Did I really take the AICP?

donk

Cyburbian
Seeing these questions, I am glad i live in a small market area for MCIP tests.

If I move to the states I would not be taking the AICP test for a long while.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
:-( Ok now I am worried

I have 3 years before I am going to be able to take it... but I know that some of those questions are not things that we deal with right now. I have only used maybe 8% of what I learned in my classes.

My classes where closer to the AICP than my real life JOB...

I am glad that I am interacting with people on here, because I get this feeling that I will learn more from people on here, than I will from some of the people in my office.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
indigo said:
"in a city with an ad valorum tax schedule, which of the following would have the greatest negative impact on the school district:
I would say that there is not enough information to answer the question. Is the assisted living complex tax exempt or does it pay under a different assessment formula? What is the ratio of students to value in the TND and gated developments?

"according to the constitution, the authority to exercise eminent domain is vested in which of the following . . .
I would say the state. The state then delegates the power to the local jurisdictions as it sees fit.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Michael Stumpf said:
I would say the state. The state then delegates the power to the local jurisdictions as it sees fit.
That's what I'd say too, since all local governments are political subdivisions of the states.

Jeff

Cyburbian
indigo said:

it went something like this . . . "in a city with an ad valorum tax schedule, which of the following would have the greatest negative impact on the school district:

a) an assisted living complex for seniors (no negative impact as far as i can tell -- brings in $$$ without kids)
b) a Traditional Neighborhood Development
c) an exclusive gated community
d) i don't recall the other choice

I know we build alot of gated communities because we avoid alot of the local taxes because we are providing our own roads, water, and sewer. The gated communities are always age-restricted (the ones we build). Whether or not we pay school taxes I'm not sure, but I'd be willing to bet that somewhere this is the case.

Do they throw some of these questions out after there are analyzed by the masses?

Lyburnum

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Sorry, I didn't have that question. But can anyone tell me what the answer was to the which of the four graphs is best question?

That graph question! I spent forever on that one. I ended up saying the one with the two bars, each with the horizontal line bisecting them. Afterwards though I thought I maybe should have chosen the line graph just because it was kind of the odd one out (it consisted of lines while the others were shapes). I know that is a pretty bad way of narrowing down but when all choices seem as likely as the next, you have to go that way sometimes!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I got my results on July 29th. The best part was that in the same "Welcome to AICP" envelope was also the AICP dues form, retroactive to July 1st. Nice welcome