• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Weather

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Wheeeeee! RAIN!!!!

*does the happy dance*

Ok whats with the screwy weather this year? its hotter than hades then now its only 64 and its the end of Aug in DC.

is boggled*and board*
D

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We also had a Hades of a summer - something like 20 days in the 90's + humid with heat index over 100. Yech. We just had 3 good days of rain and finally *perfect* weather for the entire week, and holiday (but not for Nerudite) weekend too! It should bode well for my roadtrip!

nerudite

Cyburbian
bturk said:
We also had a Hades of a summer - something like 20 days in the 90's + humid with heat index over 100. Yech. We just had 3 good days of rain and finally *perfect* weather for the entire week, and holiday (but not for Nerudite) weekend too! It should bode well for my roadtrip!
Hey... we have Labo(u)r day too. Ha!

poncho

Cyburbian
We just hit the century mark for the first time Sunday, usually we have already had a month strait of 100 by then. Very mild summer, strange but nice!

Hot and dry here. However, Mr. Weatherman informed me this morning that we've got a week of rain coming, through the weekend. But we need it desperately, so no complaints here.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Cold and raining here, guess I'll hang out and work some OT tonight. I just hope the weekend is a little nicer.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Please send rain north.

Soon, I'll be covering my lawn with green-dyed gravel.

Tex - we had a layover in phoenix on monday. it was 106 when we landed. sorry, but that is just WAY TOO HOT.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
And if one more person says, "Yeah but its a dry heat", I'm gonna kill....

Habanero

Cyburbian
yeah, if you want the full Arizona experience.. turn your oven on when you get home to a nice balmy 500, let it heat up fully, and then open the door and stick your head in..

but it's a dry heat!!!

Jen

Cyburbian
Really? Michigan has very pleasant summers. Maybe a few days of 90 F plus weather. it has been in the 70's low 80's for a few weeks now, with lows dipping into the upper 50's. Sunny too and lake levels are high.

Of course I rarely leave my lakeside lair to venture into cement city where it is way warm. But ::shrug::

nerudite

Cyburbian
bturk said:
And if one more person says, "Yeah but its a dry heat", I'm gonna kill....
Up here we get... "but it's a dry cold". Which I get the concept of, but I have yet to experience a "wet cold" a la Ontario to get the full picture.

I guess I may be one of those idiots that actually believes in the whole dry heat thing... but I rarely say those words... but there is a *huge difference* between 100F with 95% humidity and 100F with 10% humidity. One summer I was going to a family reunion in Georgia, and at the time I was living in Sacramento. When I left Sacto it was 112F with 10 percent humidity... I was hot, but I could function. I landed in Jacksonville and drove up to Valdosta GA, where it was 98F and 95% humidity. I thought I was going to die. I could only leave the hotel room and it's heavenly air conditioning at night. That sealed the deal on my belief that a "dry heat" is more bearable than the humid hot sticky grossness.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Yup, cold and raining again here. I should move to Arizona. I love the desert climate.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Yeah-

I've gotta say, it's great out here. We even got a MB last night.. what a rush. I out drove the thing home, put my car in the garage, and waited to go to the gym until it had passed. It's amazing to see lightening over mountains, something new for a Texan. I'd have to say this is the best damn state I ever lived in...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yippee!

Just checked the forecast for the Roadtrip this weekend. Highs in the upper 70's, lows in the mid 60's and no chance of rain till late Sunday. Beer Gardens, here I come.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Yeah-

TexasPlanner said:
We even got a MB last night.. what a rush. I out drove the thing home, put my car in the garage, and waited to go to the gym until it had passed.
Umm, what's "MB" and why was it chasing you home?

nerudite

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Ahh less than 24 hours and ill be in the warm and humid rain of Fla

wheeeeee
[hijack]

The sad thing is that I just imagined you saying this very fast in a squirrel voice. I don't think I'll ever hear or see a "wheeee" anymore without thinking of that singing, bouncing squirrel.

Wheeeee!

[/hijack]

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Oh Jezzzz i had that up WAY too loud

hope the boss did not hear....WHHHEEEEEE

good music for my rubber band fights with Dave

Floridays

Cyburbian
It's about 90'ish, sunny, HUMID (big surprise)! Have been getting late afternoon storms but they pass quickly. Great beach breezes so this is awesome!

Used to live in the central Plains...talk about funky! It went from summer to winter overnight, it seemed. Wind, wind, wind (sweepin down the plain...). Summer days = walking into a furnace, absolutely no breeze when you need it!

boiker

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
Tex - we had a layover in phoenix on monday. it was 106 when we landed. sorry, but that is just WAY TOO HOT.
I was just out in vegas.. 102 when i got off the plane.. It felt GREAT!.

the lack of humidity makes 102 feel like 92.

boiker

Cyburbian
Re: Boiker

TexasPlanner said:
Would you be implying that it's a "dry heat"??
dry heat is so un-pc..

I'd say it is "moisture-deprived" heat :)

i'll argue the dry heat/wet heat till i'm blue in the face.

i'll agree....110+ is hot. and hot is hot. BUT. (which in az means a heat index of 100.

this summer it got to 99 and the heat index was pushing 120. That's hot.. that's unbearable.. that's why 600 people died in chicago a couple years ago.

the most horrible heat i've ever felt was in 1995, it recorded 107 at the local airport and the heat index was 135.

yes bturk.. i'm asking for it :)

Habanero

Cyburbian
WTF?!?!

Rain? In Arizona? What's going on? It rained all weekend! It's raining now!! It's supposed to rain through Wednesday! I feel like I'm in some lame "backwards day" land... Someone make it stop!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
nerudite said:

Up here we get... "but it's a dry cold". Which I get the concept of, but I have yet to experience a "wet cold" a la Ontario to get the full picture.
I totally understand the wet cold/dry cold thing.

I loved winters in Sudbury, Ontario. -30C degrees, but beautifully sunny. If you dressed properly, it was great. I walked to work year round up there. I did have to start the car once a day though, just to make sure it didn't freeze solid.

Winters in Toronto suck - it may only be -10C or so, but it's damp, and grey. I feel much colder here than I did up north.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
It's shaping up for a wet and muddy winter over here. Autumn turned up at the weekend (although it's a summery 23 deg. C. right now and projected to continue for the rest of the week). Last night, it was raining so much that I was completely wet through in a minute, even with my rain gear on. By the time I'd made it to the pub (10 minutes), my clothes weighed twice as much as I did. And it was very cold rain...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rain good. Central Florida is still under watering restrictions, and I haven't had to turn on the irrigation system in four months. Besides, I'm trying to plant a Bermuda and Centipedegrass lawn in the back yard from seed, to replace the St. Augustine eaten by chinch bugs last winter.

Rain bad. In Central Florida, stuff just grows. Including weeds. What was an empty patch of dirt will fill with weeds literally in a day or two. In the areas I'm seeding, I have to pull new weeds EVERY DAY. They grow that fast, seriously.

Weather forecast ... usually looks like this about now.

Monday: scattered afternoon thunderstorms 33°/22° 92°/71°

Tuesday: scattered afternoon thunderstorms 33°/22° 92°/71°

Wednesday: scattered afternoon thunderstorms 33°/22° 92°/71°

Thursday: scattered afternoon thunderstorms 33°/22° 92°/71°

Friday: scattered afternoon thunderstorms 33°/22° 92°/71°

Saturday: scattered afternoon thunderstorms 33°/22° 92°/71°

Sunday: scattered afternoon thunderstorms 33°/22° 92°/71°

Humidity, you ask? Try 95%.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Monday: scattered afternoon thunderstorms 33°/22° 92°/71°

Tuesday: scattered afternoon thunderstorms 33°/22° 92°/71°

Humidity, you ask? Try 95%.
You just described the reason that I don't live in Florida. That and the highest point is around 1,000 feet, which is too weird for someone who has never lived more than a few hours from huge mountain ranges.