• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Wedding Eye for the Straight Guy: The getting hitched advise thread.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Alright, here's the situation people.

Short of saying stuff like, "Yes I do like that." and "You picked it out so I'm sure it's nice," and occasionally noding, I've managed to stay out of most of the wedding planning. Which is good for the health of my relationship as every guy who's gone through this before has told me. The problem now is that I have to make a desicion.

The future Mrs. has asked one of her good friends to sing (I wanted strings but that's neither here nor there)and she wants me to pick out a song. I, however, have NO IDEA of what to ask him to do. The guy has a nice voice so I'm sure he'll sound good no matter what I pick, but I need help. Any suggestions.

He does an Elvis impersonation at the country club every now and again so my initial thought was to have him do an Elvis style rendition of Ave Maria. For some reason the future mother-in-law didn't like that idea. I thought it would be touching.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
This is at the wedding right? Not the reception?
Ooops...should have been more clearabout that. He will be singing at the ceremony. I don't expect any singing at the reception until maybe after the third hour of open bar. ;)

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
My suggestion:

Grow Old with Me. By John Lennon. My brother and his fiancee sang it at my wedding. Here are the lyrics:

Grow old along with me
The best is yet to be
When our time has come
We will be as one
God bless our love
God bless our love

Grow old along with me
Two branches of one tree
Face the setting sun
When the day is done
God bless our love
God bless our love

Spending our lives together
Man and wife together
World without end
World without end

Grow old along with me
Whatever fate decrees
We will see it through
For our love is true
God bless our love
God bless our love

Otis

Cyburbian
15 years and two days ago a friend sang "The Rose" at our wedding.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Hey, NHPlanner, that's future husband's and my wedding song! But it's so lovely, I guess we can share..
Elvis has done some really romantic songs, altho none come to mind right now. And Elvis did wear tuxes sometimes, not just gold lame and white jumpsuits. I assume this is not going to be a gold lame-type affair?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Are there going to be any instruments backing him up, or is it solo?
The ceremony is at on late 1700's (I think) chapel so I don't believe there is any room for intruments, other than the organ and piano already there. So any other music will most likely be recorded.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Plannerbabs said:
Hey, NHPlanner, that's future husband's and my wedding song! But it's so lovely, I guess we can share.
You're going to have to share it, We used it over a year ago. ;)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Do you have any restrictions as to what kind of music you can have? For our catholic wedding we could only use classical or church music.

Floridays

Cyburbian
This may sound strange, but my brother chose this Eagles song for his wedding/first dance with his new wife. It's really pretty.

Love Will Keep Us Alive
I was standing
All alone against the world outside
You were searching
For a place to hide

Lost and lonely
Now you've given me the will to survive
When we're hungry...love will keep us alive

Don't you worry
Sometimes you've just gotta let it ride
The world is changing
Right before your eyes
Now I've found you
There's no more emptiness inside

I would die for you
Climb the highest mountain
Baby, there's nothing I wouldn't do

I was standing
All alone against the worlk outside
You were searching
For a place to hide
Lost and lonely
Now you've given me the will to survive

NHPlanner

Staff member
Plannerbabs said:
Well, may I complement you and your wife on your good taste then?
Absolutely, and thank you! :)

BTW - Ours was a Catholic Wedding in a church, and we had my brother play acoustic guitar while his girlfriend sang. Did it right after the unity candle.

donk

Cyburbian
I've always though Lou Reed's "Perfect Day" would make a great wedding song. Just ignore the fact that he is talking about getting baked on smack and consider that it is about your spouse to be and it would be great.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
I had a fraternity brother sing "Time In A Bottle" by Jim Croce at my wedding. Here are the lyrics:

If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day
Till eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you

If I could make days last forever
If words could make wishes come true
I'd save every day like a treasure and then
Again I would spend them with you

(CHORUS)
But there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do
Once you find them
I've looked around enough to know
That you're the one I want to go through time with

If I had a box just for wishes
And dreams that'd never come true
The box would be empty
Except for the memory of how
They were answered by you

(REPEAT CHORUS)

Gosh....I'm sooooo far behind with my wedding planning................

How about adding some classic soul to your wedding? Stevie Wonder songs are wedding staples in some circles.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Hm, I'd say look into ultimatewedding.com- they have a section just for ceremony music. "True Companion" comes to mine, but we should be using that so you're lucky I'm telling you! ;)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Future Mr. Plannerbabs and I are also using "Under My Thumb" by the Stones. Seriously. Everyone who knows us will laugh.

H

Cyburbian
We had a live bluegrass band at our reception and danced to Neil Young’s "Helpless".

We didn’t pick the song, rather I think it was the only “slow / non-bluegrass or folk song” they collectively knew.

They were a five piece local assemblage that got together to jam for one night only (I knew the leader from local bluegrass shows). They called themselves the “Huston Wedding Band”.

I still get emails talking about how great a “show” it was. No one mentions the wedding :(, that actually took place in William Faulkner’s old church. (which was ours as well).

biscuit

Cyburbian
That sounds pretty cool Huston. I'd like to have something like that but I can tell you now that it would never be allowed.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Meatloaf was mentioned while we were posting in the "homeless shelter." How about his classic "Paradise by the Dashboard Light?"

If Elvis is his forte, what about "Can't help falling in love with you" ?

At our wedding, my brother composed a song to go with a poem that I gave him. I can't even remember the poem now. crap. anyway, he played piano and a friend sang the poem. turned out well.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I'm immersed in the wedding planning process as well. I don't have any songs to suggest, but I would advise you NOT to choose one of the great hits by 2 Live Crew.