• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Wednesday 2/25/04 4pm question from Michaelskis

What do you think about Naps?

• Naps Rock!

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • Naps are for Babies!

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other….

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Because I have to go out to check on a builder…. Today’s 4PM question comes early…

Today’s question came to me in a dream…. During lunch in the break room

Do you take naps, if not, would you if you had more time, and do you think that naps are a good thing?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Naps are awesome! When I used to live close to work, I would walk home and take a nap at lunch. It was great because I would feel really re-engergized for the PM and it wouldn't affect my sleep that evening. I wish I had that luxury now. :(

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The Italians know what they're doing: Mid-day Siestas!

I'm sometimes useless between 1pm-3pm, so I would definitely nap during that time, if I didn't work for the Man. ;-)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
While naps for me are few and far-between, I love them.

I often dream about setting up a George Costanza-like nap station under my desk.

JNL

Cyburbian
I used to live really close to the university and could go home between classes and would often succumb to sleepiness in the afternoon. When I got my first Real Job I found it really hard to stay awake and productive for 8+ hours!!

(I can stay awake now, but productivity needs a bit of work ;) )

No napping at work for me! :(

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I still occasionally take a nap in the car during lunch hours in the summer....

Habanero

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
While naps for me are few and far-between, I love them.

I often dream about setting up a George Costanza-like nap station under my desk.
Someone at my office has a little bed under their desk to takes naps in. :)

I love short naps, but I hate long naps where I wake up groggy and more tired than when I fell asleep.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
The occasional 5-minute nap at work between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. rules! It refreshes me. I wish I could take them every workday.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I could of used that set-up today :-b

I sleep on the way to work most of the time.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I took regular naps during lunchtime at work for a couple months after my maternity leave ended, since I was just so exhausted all the time. Other than that, I can count on one hand how many I've taken since pre-school. My son inherited my gene on this, he stopped napping at age 2. Usually I just don't need/want one.

otterpop

Cyburbian
A place where I used to work, the old timers used to tell us they used to take naps in the crawlspace of the office in the afternoon. Had a mattress and pillows. That was before the building was renovated and they found asbestos throughout the insides of the building.

kms

Cyburbian
I'm good for a really long Sunday nap; I take naps outside in the shade when it's warm. :) Sometimes I'll catch a 15 min. nap during weekdays.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
mike gurnee said:
A five minute "meditation" every now and then does wonders for me.
Or for the Long Range Planners among us - "visioning" ;-)

biscuit

Cyburbian
kms said:
I'm good for a really long Sunday nap; I take naps outside in the shade when it's warm. :) Sometimes I'll catch a 15 min. nap during weekdays.
One of the perks of working from home I suppose.... no fair |-)

Were currently looking for a larger place to live and I would love to find a space where I could put up a hamock and take naps outside on warm Sunday afternoons. Now that's living.

Floridays

Cyburbian
I love to take "cat naps..." kick my feet up on the desk, close my door, and just close my eyes for about 20 minutes. I does wonders for my afternoon!
When I was pursuing my undergrad, I worked as a bartender. So I had a 3:00 naptime...after classes and prior to work...my cat even knew when because he would climb into bed at that same time every day!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Sometimes when my sinus problems are especially bad I will grab a pillow from the reception area, close my office door, and lay down for a few minutes in the open floorspace in front of my fireplace. Other times I will just go home (5 minutes) and take a 45-minute nap during lunch. Those sorts of things really do refresh me and help me to get through the day.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cardinal said:
Sometimes when my sinus problems are especially bad I will grab a pillow from the reception area, close my office door, and lay down for a few minutes in the open floorspace in front of my fireplace.
[ot] You should all be jealous of Cardinal's office [/ot]

martini

Cyburbian
Naps flat out rule. I'd take one if I could really get away with it. All I need is a few minutes to recharge. Like most others, its the mid afternoon hours that are the hardest for me to get through.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
.... I will grab a pillow from the reception area, close my office door, and lay down for a few minutes in the open floorspace in front of my fireplace.
I have a freakin cubicle.... You have a fireplace in your office... and a reception area with pillows? AS IT IS... my cubicle is home to the Digi Cams and other "toys" for code enforcement...

Cardinal... You are my Hero of the week....

donk

Cyburbian
Took a real nice 2 hour one yesterday afternoon. It felt great and did not impact my sleep that night.

The joy of a heavy stress load, even living the life of leisure. I see another one today.

boiker

Cyburbian
i have never been able to nap at work. just can't... i don't know why.

I could never fall asleep in class either. :-\

biscuit

Cyburbian
boiker said:
i have never been able to nap at work. just can't... i don't know why.

I could never fall asleep in class either. :-\
That makes me start to question your slacking capabilities. Honestly, how can we rely on you to take the time away from what you’re expected to do at work and spend it on Cyburbia when you can’t even fall asleep in class? ;-)

To be truthful I rarely ever take naps. I'm usually very energetic and active so it's difficult for me to slow down enough to nap. The exception would be if I'm just feeling lazy, like on Sunday afternoons, or I'm hurting from having myself too much fun the night before.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Since I work from home I can take the liberty of taking short naps pretty often and atleast one long after-lunch( the siesta) nap once a week.
I think the short naps ranging from 15-30 mnts are very refreshing. :)