• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Natural resources Weeds to be "maintained" to lessen fire danger

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Recent wildland fire adjacent to my city - literally up the fence line of the city boundary - has caused numerous complaints about the existing native vegetation and the need to cut it down. What I am having trouble with is how to require the maintenance of vegetation but not tell the owner of 500 acres of natural vegetation on the mountain/hillside that he has to go out and mow it down. Fire is no respecter of natural or noxious vegetation.

DVD

Cyburbian
I think it's called the wild land fire codes or urban wild land interface or something like that. Basically it will force property owners to clear vegetation from around the house. I'm not sure what it would do for just a property of nothing but vegetation. It might have some fire break clauses in it though. If not work with your fire crews to figure out what a proper fire break is for properties and adopt codes like that.