• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Weekend Storms

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I know that many of us had a crazy weekend of storms. Here in the K-zoo area, we had 3 days of tornado watches, a few sightings, and mean storms roll in with little to no warning. For now, several places around here to not have power, and roomer has it that Lake Michigan is 6 inches higher than last fall. Four people where killed by trees falling on their cars, and several buildings where damaged. They are now saying that it has rained 19 out of the past 24 days... I feel like I live in Seattle.

How was the weather this weekend where you where at.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Same as yours. Friday at 1:30 pm it was so dark outside the street lights were on. I think this is the worst spring we've had in a long time. A week ago there were a couple of tornadoes up north, a half mile from my parents house.

SGB

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Here in the Finger Lakes/Southern Tier region of New York state, we also had a fairly wild weekend. Tornado watches, tornado warnings, flash flooding, severe t-storms with damaging hail, lightning and winds.

Most of the storms skirted us by a few miles to the northeast, leaving me with views from my rear deck of spectacular lightning in the distance. (Of course, if it's right on top of you, lightning is something other than spectacular.)

This is a really unusual amount of severe weather for springtime here. I'll admit it makes me a little apprehensive about what summer might bring.

Last edited:

biscuit

Cyburbian
Really freaking hot. The temps were up to 93F(34C) here in Pennsylvania over the weekend. And according to the locals that is unseasonably hot for the end of May. In fact, it was hotter here than it was at my parents house in South Carolina. Strange...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Very strong winds caused white caps on the Ohio River yesterday keeping the pleasure boaters tied up to the docks (where they belong, IMO). A very strong storm passed several miles north of us in late afternoon, with quite a bit of rumbling, but no rainfall where I was. Temps again in the 90F range.

It seems this area is setting up for a very long, very hot, very dry summer. It makes me love winter all that much more.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Here in Chicagoland, our weather has been pretty much the same as Michealskis described - only we get it a day before they get it in SW Michigan.

With all the rain, the Des Plaines river is over flood stage and it threatening many suburban Chicago communities.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Same in Milwaukee. And it looks like rain again today. :(

boiker

Cyburbian
..and it's not over..

...and it's not over. Here's the severe weather probability map from the SPC (Storm Predecition Center).

I'm in Peoria, IL, about that eastern lobe of the high risk area.

Time to strap it up and hunker down. They're predicting tornadoes and hail followed by a derecho. If anyone has experienced a full-blown derecho, they don't forget. A derecho is a long lived fast moving line of storms that 'bows' in the middle. At the peak of the bow is commonly 80-140 mph straight-line winds. They are exceptionally fast moving storms and will 'live' across multiple states.

NWS SPC outlook page
The above link is updated about every 6 hrs throughout the day.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

Warm, followed by a thunderstorm, which doesn't seem to be followed by a storm front. Repeat daily.

There was an especially severe storm on Friday; the skies darkened as if the sun was controlled by a dimmer switch, and streetlights were on at 4:30 PM.

Tom R

Cyburbian
weather

I had to borrow my neighbor's Evinrude to cut my grass. We had some flooding and tree damage but not much else. Fantastic lightning displays.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
mendelman said:
Here in Chicagoland, our weather has been pretty much the same as Michealskis described - only we get it a day before they get it in SW Michigan.
A day? Try an hour or two. those winds came cruising in fast - caused my gutter and drainpipe to detach from the house.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
It rained....a couple of t-storms, but nothing too bad.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Same in Milwaukee. And it looks like rain again today. :(
Gotta love MMSD, too. B-) Over the past couple of weeks they placed nearly 10 million cubic meters |-) of untreated sewage :-# from their 'combined' sewers into Lake Michigan and it continues to flow freely with no end in sight. :-@

It is looking more and more like they will have to spend a stupendous amount of money 8-! (it will make any new rail-transit system look cheap) install an entire new storm sewer system to 'seperate' the sewers and remove rain runoff from the sewage flow in the approximately pre-WWII part of the city and the suburban Village of Shorewood. This is on top of the $1 billion+ that was spent in the 1980s and 1990s to construct a 'deep tunnel' sewer in an attempt to store the storm runoff for treatment :-o.

At its expected cost, adding streetcar rails in those streets when the pipes are installed would be a minor afterthought.

As for the Appleton area, we've also gotten lots of off and on rain and some thunder, but nothing 'severe'. Most of the nasty stuff passed us well to the south.

Mike

boiker said:
I'm in Peoria, IL, about that eastern lobe of the high risk area.

Time to strap it up and hunker down. They're predicting tornadoes and hail followed by a derecho. If anyone has experienced a full-blown derecho, they don't forget. A derecho is a long lived fast moving line of storms that 'bows' in the middle. At the peak of the bow is commonly 80-140 mph straight-line winds. They are exceptionally fast moving storms and will 'live' across multiple states.
We had one of those (I think of it as the 'perfect thunderstorm') blow through the Appleton-Neenah-Oshkosh, WI area in mid-June of 2001. I live at the very north edge and it was WINDY, over hurricane strength. Many trees were down (that damage happened westward well past Waupaca, WI) and power was out from a few blocks south of my house all the way through Oshkosh, many neighborhoods were not back up for nearly two weeks.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

JNL

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
I know that many of us had a crazy weekend of storms.... Four people where killed by trees falling on their cars, and several buildings where damaged. They are now saying that it has rained 19 out of the past 24 days... I feel like I live in Seattle.
Wow 8-! . Pretty mild here, cool temperatures and some light rain. Not much wind which has been nice! Lots of autumn leaves everywhere.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
mgk920 said:
We had one of those (I think of it as the 'perfect thunderstorm') blow through the Appleton-Neenah-Oshkosh, WI area in mid-June of 2001. I live at the very north edge and it was WINDY, over hurricane strength. Many trees were down (that damage happened westward well past Waupaca, WI) and power was out from a few blocks south of my house all the way through Oshkosh, many neighborhoods were not back up for nearly two weeks.

Mike
That was a tragic storm! I lived in Oshkosh for 10 years. I even had my wedding pics taken in South Park (go ahead, make fun). I can't believe the devastation that is still evident today....

BTW Boiker - I've had several meteorology classes and never heard them called 'derecho'.

EDIT: Google found this so I believe you!

nerudite

Cyburbian
We got stuck in Great Falls in snow storm on Sunday night... It started snowing in Northern Nevada just before we got out, so at least we made it through there. Added an extra day to our trip on the way back, which was a big bummer. On the bright side we got to do some tax-free shopping in Montana to pass the time. :)

boilerplater

Cyburbian
Its been hot, muggy...like August in South Jersey hot. Last night some storms came through with high winds and lightning, a couple of kids were struck in a tennis court, but lived to tell the tale. Its too hot for August! I want to move to a more moderate climate!

BKM

Cyburbian
Dry, windy, and cool. We had a hot spell in March, and our winter (i.e., rainy season) effectively ended two months early.

Look for "storms" of a different kind in late summer/fall. Yet, people still want their country houses in the foothills. Who cares, some under-paid working class fireman will risk his life for my house. :(

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Had to share this from the website of one of the NH newspapers....:D