• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Weird food combinations

Tranplanner said:
Spagetti (canned) on toast.
I LOVE Spaghetti-o sauce on buttered white bread.

And after eating a sugary cereal, a la Frosted Flakes or Honey Smacks, soaking up the sugar milk with your buttered toast. yum!

donk

Cyburbian
I am going to put a little twist on the topic, instead of odd food combinations you like I have a few "normal" food combinations I won't eat.

Butter / margarine /oleo / Soy spreads. I hate butter. I have not bought butter since moving into my curent house 4 1/2 years ago and have probably only bought 1 lb in the past 10 years of living on my own. Can't stand the way it tastes, smells or feels.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:
Butter / margarine /oleo / Soy spreads. I hate butter. I have not bought butter since moving into my curent house 4 1/2 years ago and have probably only bought 1 lb in the past 10 years of living on my own. Can't stand the way it tastes, smells or feels.
I'm guessing you don't do much baking...

donk said:

I'm ashamed to say how much butter we go through, but then, I also do a lot of baking. I love it. On bread, noodles, rice, pizza crust. i even converted Rob from his Brummel and Brown yogurt crap he used to put on toast. :)

donk

Cyburbian
I'm guessing you don't do much baking...
Of course not, I am a single guy that lives alone....

I even have my secratary trained to ask the deli that we order dinner from to not put butter on my sandwiches and to wrap them separately.

biscuit

Cyburbian
ecofem said:
Dipping a grilled cheese sandwich in ketchup (catsup).

mmmmm
That doesn't sound very good to me. Now a grilled cheese sandwich in hot tomato soup, that's what God intended. My girlfri...um, fiance puts ketchup on everything; eggs, pizza, turkey sandwiches, IMHO it just covers up the taste of food.

One of my favorite weird food combos is french fries dipped in vanilla milkshake. Yum.

donk

Cyburbian
I second the grilled cheese and ketchup, hmmm hmm good.

How about pickled pears and french fries? Had that combo in Belgium.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I like sausage biscuits with raspberry jam. I guess I'm just normal.

Oh, and I love artichokes with mayo, soo much better than with butter.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
dill pickles with milk.... not meant to be eaten together (i mean drinking milk and then eating dill pickles... not dill pickles IN milk :p)

well that's more like: Innapropriate Food combos, rather than Weird Food Combos. :p
I tried it once when I was young.... very bad result :p :(

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Here's another weird food combo from my spouse - part of what he had for dinner tonight - cottage cheese with hot pepper sauce!!!

Runner

Cyburbian
At the Mustang Cafe in San Antonio one of the dinner plate options is cheese enchiladas and lemon chicken. Sort of an East meets TexMex... And no, I'm not kidding! It's actually pretty good.

Nick Tahoe's Garbage Plate - a Rochester NY tradition -
slop together on a plate a portion of home fries, mac salad and baked beans, top with a cheese burger, hot dog or italian sausage and cover with chili and or onions. best thing ever at 3am!

Jen

Cyburbian
PB and J just doesn't transport me home unless it is slightly stale with a few grains of beach sand on top.

Finding the last sammich on the way home from the beach. Stretched out in the back of the family station wagon, sunburned smelling like the ocean and hongry...

I am on a horseradish bend, and Im putting it on everything just about these days.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm not feeling that bad about wierd food combos anymore. Some of mine have already been mentioned. I loved Spagettios on toast as a kid. Baked beans and cottage cheese is one I've done before. Sorry, donk, but I love butter, especially meted on fresh, warm bread. I am a single guy and I bake (and cook) all the time.

Getting off the subject of food, instead of not buying butter, I have not bought a bar of soap in over a decade. (Yeah, I haven't even posted this yet and I can hear the comments.) I spend 30+ night a year in hotels and bring home enough bars of soap to safely shower every morning. I do buy liquid soap for the sink, though.

Jen

Cyburbian
Oh and i was gonna be your new best friend if you said you make your own soaps!

The Irish One

hey mike, good soap can help-especially when she comes over and examines your bathroom.

I'm single and I bake a lot and I have soap preferences and gosh darnit Im good enough

donk

Cyburbian
Off topic

Jen,

If you like really good hand made soaps, check out

www.lush.com

Their soaps are really nice and the manner in which they market themselves is pretty novel (ie honest, their mission statement straight up says they are a business and want to make a profit)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
hey mike, good soap can help-especially when she comes over and examines your bathroom.

I'm single and I bake a lot and I have soap preferences and gosh darnit Im good enough
Alright... roast chicken, asparagus with crushed garlic, mashed potatoes and homemade gravy, fresh-baked Spanish bread, a chocolate pear torte for desert and ... Ivory? Dial? Irish Spring? Where am I going wrong?

The Irish One

hey the cooking -you're in, really you need a soap upgrade, come on ladies what is good soap to find in the bathroom.

If you move to California, I predict marriage, and lots of strenuous hikes to your hearts content. Just joina hiking club.

donk

Cyburbian
I'll trade you some of my good hand and body soaps for some recipes, especailly the chocolate pear torte, as long as I don't have to buy any butter.

You can tell its spring, might have to start up the planners love advice thread again....

Cardinal

Cyburbian
donk said:
I'll trade you some of my good hand and body soaps for some recipes, especailly the chocolate pear torte, as long as I don't have to buy any butter.
Well, it does require butter if you make your own crust. If you find that morally or otherwise objectionable, you might purchase a ready-made crust. Here is the recipe, though.

Chocolate Pear Tart

Ingredients - Filling
4 – 1 oz squares semisweet chocolate, grated
3 large, firm, ripe pears
1 egg
1 egg yolk
½ cup light cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons sugar

Ingredients - Crust
1 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Directions
For the crust, sift the flour and salt into a bowl, add the sugar and butter and cut in with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the egg yolk and lemon juice with a fork until it forms a dough. Gather it in a ball and chill it for twenty minutes. After chilling, roll out the dough 1/8 inch thick and transfer to a 10-inch tart pan. Sprinkle the grated chocolate into the crust. Peel, core and slice the pears in half. Cut the halves into thin slices and lay them, overlapping, on top of the chocolate in strips, like spokes on a wheel. Whisk together the egg, egg yolk, cream and vanilla. Spoon this over the pears and sprinkle with sugar. Place in an oven pre-heated to 400 F. After ten minutes turn the oven down to 350 F. Continue to cook another twenty minutes or until the custard is set and the pears begin to caramelize.

Mmmm....

The Irish One

asparagus with crushed garlic, mashed potatoes and homemade gravy
Please elaborate on all of these. I can't make good mashed potatoes or gravy. I love asparagus but I haven't ever prepared it and I'm all about garlic.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
MMM, maybe we need a new recipe thread.

I like my potatoes "smashed" with horseradish, or with a couple of garlic cloves (roasted or cooked with the potatoes). Yum!

kms

Cyburbian
mashed potatoes

The Joy of Cooking says to use baked potatoes for mashed potatoes, but I haven't figured out how to keep the potatoes hot and manage to peel them. :)

Anyway, boil peeled potatoes in salted water until they can be easily pierced with a fork. Drain them, and put them back into the empty, still hot, pot. Let them sit for a few minutes to let off as more steam (you need to get rid of as much water as you can). MASH them, then add soft butter and warm cream or milk, and pepper if you like it. I use white pepper. Stir this all together., and serve.

You have to be careful if you whip the potatoes, or they'll turn to a gluey mess before you know it.

Sometimes I add a container of garlic-herb cheese for a different flavor.

For gravy, melt 2 tablespoons butter and add 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons butter for each cup of liquid (broth, drippings from the meat). Let the butter-flour mixture cook over med. heat for a few minutes, but not so long that it changes color. Pour in the liquid and stir until the mixture is smooth. You might have to cook it for awhile until it thickens, and season it.

Good luck.

Pick up a JOY OF COOKING, or read FINE COOKING magazines. I find if I look at cooking scientifically, I understand it better.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
kms said:
mashed potatoes...
For gravy, melt 2 tablespoons butter and add 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons butter for each cup of liquid (broth, drippings from the meat). Let the butter-flour mixture cook over med. heat for a few minutes, but not so long that it changes color. Pour in the liquid and stir until the mixture is smooth. You might have to cook it for awhile until it thickens, and season it.
The potatoes are right, although I would add to cut them up so they cook faster. As for the gravy, I prefer to make mine differently. I begin by adding a bit of water to the roasting pan while the meat is cooking. This keeps some of the juices from burning off. Then after removing the meat, pour the juices through a strainer into a pot. Simmer and slowly add gravy flour while stirring. The more flour you add, the thicker the gravy gets. I prefer mine a little on the thin side. Sometimes I will add a bit of boullion for extra flavor.

The asparagus is simple. I just boil or steam it. I'll then crush and quickly saute a bit of fresh garlic in olive oil, which I drizzle over the asparagus.

Jen

Cyburbian
donk said:
Off topic

Jen,

If you like really good hand made soaps, check out

www.lush.com

Their soaps are really nice and the manner in which they market themselves is pretty novel (ie honest, their mission statement straight up says they are a business and want to make a profit)
Thanks Donk! I think I'll try the Buffy Backside Slayer first!

Really those are most exzcellent soaps!

donk

Cyburbian
Jen,

My favourites include

Vegetable Sea Salt
Demon in the Dark
Red Rooster

Their shampoos are great too.

I only wish they made soaps with more masculine smells and names.

The shopping experience in their stores is great, all good looking "young" females.

By the way, just because I like soaps does not make me a fag,

Sorry fags.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
donk said:
By the way, just because I like soaps does not make me a fag,

Sorry fags.
But it does rule out the possibility of you being French.

Sorry France.

donk

Cyburbian
I'm becoming French by osmosis. I am surrounded by them on 2 of 3 sides.

Maybe I did'nt use the "line" the right way.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
You asked so dont b*tch

Fried Spam and grape jelly on toast.

nerudite

Cyburbian
The two weird things I eat are grilled cheese sandwiches with grape jelly (the kids put catsup on their grilled cheese instead), or I like to dip french fries into McDonald's shakes.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I am purty darn picky and don't like much of anything, so no help for me here.

Related to mashed potatoes - Chad uses the stinken blender to mix up mashed taters. I *hate* that. It makes them to creamy. I am used to the hand beaten variety - kind of lumpy :)