• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Weirdest thing you've seen lately

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
On my roadtrip to New Mexico a few weeks ago, I passed a huge convoy of decorated Volkswagen New Beetles, all with different state and provincial license plates, on US 70 in the middle of the desert.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Is it weird or in good taste
(there's no such thing as good puns are there)
if I agree with Chet

Last edited:

nerudite

Cyburbian
I saw fireflies in Nova Scotia... I don't know why, but I just don't associate them with these climes. It seemed very weird to be watching the northern lights with fireflies all around you.

Last night I saw the northern lights above me while there was a big lightning storm off in the distance... that was pretty weird too, but cool weird.

plankton

Cyburbian
The National Security Advisor pointing the finger at the head of the CIA for passing on misinformation (aka lies) about the Niger uranium thing. Uh, excuse me, Ms. Rice, isn't this part of your job title/responsibility, too. Gimme a freakin' break. I liked it much better when our biggest worry about indiscretions at the White House focussed on blue dresses and cigars.

El Feo

Cyburbian
plankton said:
The National Security Advisor pointing the finger at the head of the CIA for passing on misinformation (aka lies) about the Niger uranium thing. Uh, excuse me, Ms. Rice, isn't this part of your job title/responsibility, too. Gimme a freakin' break. I liked it much better when our biggest worry about indiscretions at the White House focussed on blue dresses and cigars.
Hmm. Turns out it wasn't a "lie" after all.

Furthermore, turns out the French are behind the effort to deny the relevant intelligence to the US.

I'm shocked. Shocked.

donk

Cyburbian
I though this might be worthy of its own thread, but this is as good as place as any to describe it.

A help wanted sign at a local gas station.

It said "wanted, young lady going into grade 10 to work a few shifts a week. "

You know you live in a small town when no one would find this odd or recognize the numerous illegalities in it.

if I make it out on the road in the next few days I'll try to snap a photo.

I too agree about chet and jordanb. Now if Hab and jordan can kiss and make up that would be weird.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
All the young adult beggars in Toronto.

It's much different here in Chicago.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I saw Steve-O from Jackass at Lollapalooza. Among the weirdest things he did were:

1. Asked female members of the audience for their bras, then proceeded to staple one of the bras to one of his bare ass cheeks with a staplegun

2. Sorted a huge mound of salt, puked, slammed about a 1/4 bottle of Tequila, squeezed limes into his eyes. (Extreme tequilla shots, I guess)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:

2. Sorted a huge mound of salt, puked, slammed about a 1/4 bottle of Tequila, squeezed limes into his eyes. (Extreme tequilla shots, I guess)
Some RCMP guys attending a wedding a friend went to a few weeks ago all sat around and did those. One guy had a wicked nose bleed after a few snorts of salt. Ewwwwww!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
There's this channel on my cable system.

Yup, that's it. That's all it shows. Clouds.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Dan said:
There's this channel on my cable system.

Yup, that's it. That's all it shows. Clouds.
Dan, I think somebody left the camera on in the smoke-filled room.

Jen

Cyburbian
On our return trip from Florida on I -75 outside of Toledo, as you can imagine we were quite road weary and our senses were dulled by the endless ribbon of pavement when like a mirage amidst the NE Ohio sprawl rose The Islamic Center of Toledo with its twin 135ft tall minarets. Our jaws hung open, seeing this fantastic structure blindingly white and seemingly gargantuan against the itty bitty suburban neighborhoods surrounding it. Holy Toledo what was that?! It seemed so out of place.

Another weird thing that we heard while traveling somewhere thru the south, maybe tennessee or the Carolina's, while trying to find a decent radio station we tuned in a station that broadcast obituaries on the hour! Earthly reminders to get your sh*t together before your time is up? Weird!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Jen said:
Another weird thing that we heard while traveling somewhere thru the south, maybe tennessee or the Carolina's, while trying to find a decent radio station we tuned in a station that broadcast obituaries on the hour! Earthly reminders to get your sh*t together before your time is up? Weird!
What are talking about weird? One of the local radio stations back in SC would read the obituaries from my home county several times daily. Seems perfectly normal to me. ;)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Jen said:
On our return trip from Florida on I -75 outside of Toledo, as you can imagine we were quite road weary and our senses were dulled by the endless ribbon of pavement when like a mirage amidst the NE Ohio sprawl rose The Islamic Center of Toledo with its twin 135ft tall minarets. Our jaws hung open, seeing this fantastic structure blindingly white and seemingly gargantuan against the itty bitty suburban neighborhoods surrounding it. Holy Toledo what was that?! It seemed so out of place.

Here it is.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Jen said:

That is more expected than a Hare Krishna Temple in Utah, of all places. They regularly have Llama Fest, and I hear the food is good there too.