• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Wenesday 3/10/04 Noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Wow… It is 12:30… I have been up to my ears in legal descriptions for our Wal Mart project and an outlot.

Today’s question is in reference to one of the Three Meals of the day… I missed breakfast, and I am starving… but it make me wonder…

What do you eat (if anything) for breakfast?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I am doing the South Beach diet so it's either a scoop of egg salad, or a couple of muffin-sized veggie quiches. Weekends, a small omelet.

Used to be a big bagel. At least I can still have the Diet Dew along with it.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Trying to get a 7yr old and 4yr old going in the morning in a timely fashion (where is that danged homework, anyway??), and get them nutritious breakfasts, means Daddy Gedunker only gets hot, black coffee. If the best I can do is nuked hot black coffee, you do not want to play any games with me when you are seeking your building permit. ;-)

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I can't miss breakfast during the week, or I have the shakes by 9:00 am. Juice, cereal, and two cups of coffee. No more Cap'n Crunch for me, though -- now I like those organic, high fiber cereals with dried fruit or raisins. Here's my favorite:

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
during the work week, I generally have an english muffin with butter and a large glass of juice or milk or chocolate milk, and nibble of whatever I am making for my lunch.

on weekends, we have bigger breakfast usually eggs or pancakes or waffles with the normal sides.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Mrs. Tranplanner makes sure I eat a good breakfast before we head out - otherwise I'd probably be grabbing a bagel or something on the way in to work. It's usually cereal (like Mud Princess, we've become big fans of organic, especially Nature's Path), or toast. Sometimes oatmeal, but that's usually just on weekends.

I usually have a "second breakfast" around 10:00a.m., which consists of a yoghurt and a banana (and sometimes my lunch if I'm really really hungry).

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Breakfast is about a once a week proposition for me.....I tend to be of the same ilk as Chet when it comes to eating breakfast.

Floridays

Cyburbian
A cold can of Diet Coke for me!
However, I do like a "pig out" breakfast sometimes on the weekends...my favorite is chicken fried steak with gravy and eggs. :-\

SGB

Cyburbian
It's a bowl of cereal, a glass of juice and a coffee on the road for me most mornings.

I'm useless if I miss breakfast.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I am doing the WeightWatchers thing, so it's 1 cup raisn bran and 1/2 cup skim milk. I also grab my "poor mans" mocha on the way to work. (half coffee half hot cocoa)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I have to eat breakfast - typical is:
just enough oj to swallow my meds,
low carb, hi-fiber cereal with soy milk,
I make coffee at work.
2hrs later self test blood.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Cold cereal during the week - love it. Bacon, eggs, pancakes, waffles, sausage, or some combination, thereof, on the weekend. Ocasionally Cracker Barrel on the weekends for breakfast.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I typically eat at least five meals a day and just can't funtion without breakfast. Usually it's a plate of Egg Beaters with tomatos and a piece of wheat toast with either jam or strawberry Bummel&Brown. Sometimes though I don't have time to cook and go for the cold cereal, either Kashi Crunch or Peanutbutter Capt. Crunch.
Around 10a.m. this is followed up by a bananna or a handfull of baby carrots.

Wow, that sounds like a real healthy breakfast, and its good that I had that today considering that I'm eating a giant kilbasa dog as I'm typing this. :p

BKM

Cyburbian
I usually have a frou-frou coffee thing-a-ma-bob. An iced latte or mocha. At least it has milk :) Unfortunately, my coffee place is closing, and the replacement won't be on line for a few months. Its pretty sad.

When I am bad, I will sometimes have s poptart (really, really bad). Or, maybe a couple of whole wheat flatbreads with good cheese mid-morning.

kms

Cyburbian
I don't get hungry until around 10AM. Usually, I have grits (cooked in milk, not in water) or leftovers from dinner. I don't really like sweet food in the morning.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I usually need something to eat in the morning, or else I start getting pretty hungry by about 9:00. It's usually a muffin or a bagel, but that holds me well enough that a granola bar a little later will hold me til lunch.

Also, I've recently (last year or so) started "needing" caffeine in the morning in some form...pop, coffee, something.

Breakfast of champions indeed!

boiker

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
I don't eat breakfast...just lots of hot, black coffee.

I second that! But the way I drink coffee it often ends up being partly lunch and a mid-afternoon snack as well. 8-!

martini

Cyburbian
If I'm working, I need food. Something light like a bowl of Specail K Strawberry works good till 10ish, then I need a snack. Otherwise, I can easily go without food almost all day and just eat a smallish dinner on weekends or days I don't work.

ludes98

Cyburbian
I drink 4 Diet Cokes before lunch, but I manage to sqeeze in breakfast of cereal, eggs and toast, or dinner leftovers.

Dragon

Cyburbian
I have to eat breakfast. Otherwise my stomach begins to digest my spine about 1.5 hours after waking up. :-c

I tend to eat cereal for breakfast. If I'm running late, I'll grab a bag of pop tarts and eat them at my desk.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I usually have one of those "healthy" bagels, but I un-healthly it up with some cream cheese during the week. On weekends it is either oatmeal or eggs and hashbrowns.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Food....

For me, my food is scheduled.

7am – Protein Smoothie
10am – Peanut Butter on Wheat
12:30 – Normal Lunch
2pm – Peanut Better on Wheat
6:30pm – Post Workout Protein Shake
7:30 – Medium Dinner
9pm – Small Protein Shake

Today was 2 large cups of Black Coffee and Strawberry Pop Tarts

Seabishop

Cyburbian
My veggie wife gets morning star fake sausages - they're actually not bad if you don't expect them to taste like real sausage. The tofu hot dogs on the other hand . . . :-#

otterpop

Cyburbian
I always have a little something - a hard-boiled egg or a peanut butter or cheese sandwich, usually a glass of 2%.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Hm, it varies. This morning it was a small apple and oatmeal. I always have to eat something, otherwise I'm not a nice person. o:)

martini

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
My veggie wife gets morning star fake sausages - they're actually not bad if you don't expect them to taste like real sausage. The tofu hot dogs on the other hand . . . :-#

eyah tofu hot dogs blow. Big time. OTOH, you really should try the Tofurky sausages. They make two flavors I've seen, Sundried tomatoe and Summit IPA soaked(I think its Summit...). OHHH, they're good, especailly on the grill. Sausages are the ONLY thing I miss eating the real thing. A good bratwurst is VERY hard to turn down at times.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
I am doing the WeightWatchers thing, so it's 1 cup raisn bran and 1/2 cup skim milk. I also grab my "poor mans" mocha on the way to work. (half coffee half hot cocoa)

Downtown said:
Same here - Work days it is 1/2 c. oatmeal, Home Days 1/2 c. cereal w/ milk
You guys go! I did WW (started last July) and lost 60 pounds. Still enjoying my 5 point breakfast even though I've met goal. Five-point breakfast: one egg and one egg white, fried with cooking spray, one slice of low fat (2% milk) cheese, one thin slice of ham, on two slices of high fiber bread. Plus, a multivitamin and a 100% natural Vitamin E pill (from ADM, of course). Gets me through every day.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I used to have a donut or two most mornings, but in the last year made a switch to a much healthier muffin and juice. Sunday is my big breakfast day, if I have one. Eggs, whole wheat/nut toast, hash browns, bacon, sausage, fruit, and juice.

I have started having organic yogurt as part of my breakfast. I also frequently have a granola bar or a toasted egg bagel with nutella -- good anytime, actually. You just about cannot go wrong with ooey, gooey, drippey chocolate (as long as you wash your hands before you type again :-D ). I always have a diet coke with breakfast. I need the caffeine and coffee tears up my stomach. I love the smell and taste of coffee, but my stomach hates the stuff. Sigh.

JNL

Cyburbian
A small bowl of cereal. Need it for energy, esp on days I go swimming before work. Currently its Blueberry Morning, last was Tropicana Sunrise... blends of bran, cornflakes, dried fruit etc .. or a feijoa variety. Didn't like cereal till I found this brand.

On Sundays, after a night out, it's hash browns, bacon, scrambled eggs, toast, maybe fried tomatoes or mushrooms... yum :)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Grape Nuts with milk (no sugar)
A banana or orange
Coffee

Unless, there are leftovers in which case I have whatever I had last night.