• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

We're all moving to Michigan by the year 2100

DVD

Cyburbian
Dibs on North Dakota! I figure everyone will move to the glove and leave me alone.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Well, I think people should migrate to NEOH instead of MI, but only after I buy a bunch of cheap real estate first for my heirs. :D

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Until the first blizzard and everyone looks at each other with a unified WTF expression.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Yeah, I try to explain what winters are like in the northern Midwest to people here. I explain about the grey days and January and February being a cold, sub freezing slog. One of the many things I don't miss.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't know about blizzards galore. By the year 2100 the climate in Michigan will probably be more like what Kentucky is like now.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I don't know about blizzards galore. By the year 2100 the climate in Michigan will probably be more like what Kentucky is like now.
That's what some reliable people are projecting.

And Florida will be underwater and Georgia will be like Key West, but not with 'nice' ocean breezes.

But maybe the migration patterns won't be so dramatic to MI or OH, but will just shift one or two state northward (normal FL patterns would shift to SC and GA, GA/SC/NC patterns to TN/KY, and so forth).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
In the 1990s and 2000s, lots of Buffalo area residents moved to Charlotte, North Carolina. Supposedly, Buffalo's weather in 2100 will be like that of Charlotte today -- only with lake effect snow.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If the cards are played correctly, Michigan's prospects stand to improve dramatically as climate change progresses. The state is located smack dab in the middle of the most critical natural resource on the planet that's only going to get more valuable as the population increases and the environment degrades; the world largest fresh water reserve. What Kuwait is to petroleum today, Michigan will be to fresh water in a half century. We just have to keep all those other states from getting their hands on the Great Lakes water and turning them into the next Aral Sea disaster.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
^^^

Well, Maister, our secret mountain west tunnel is halfway across Colorado now. Soon, your precious lakes will drain like a bathtub and we will re-introduce Lake Bonneville using your water! (insert maniacal laugh here).

(You should never have mentioned the Aral Sea. You know what a sucker for geographacting I am.)