• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Whaddya Call....??

Jeff

Cyburbian
Here's the situation. My wife is pregnant. Her parents are divorced. We are close with her stepmom. What name does she get...

Grandmom #3?
Just her first name?

Nanny is out because that is what my wife calls her grandmom. Any suggestions?

sal95

Cyburbian
Grandma

Both of my grandmothers have been married to my "step grandpas" my entire life. They have always been Grandpa (first name) to me. So, I have 4 grandfathers and 2 grandmothers (I'm lucky they are all still alive). I'm not aware of any hard feelings by the "real" grandpas, but you may want to let your mother-in-law know of your intentions. A kid could never have too many Grandmas. . .

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
My wife's parents are divorced so my daughter has:

Grammy
Grammy Jess
Meme

and

Grampa
Grampa Joe
Bumpa

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
My grandmother was remarried and her new husband was always "grandpa", just like the others.

kms

Cyburbian
Ask the stepmom what she prefers. Mimi and Gigi and Grandy (my least favorite in name and person) are some used in our family.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
My grandpa re-married and I called her by her regular name. However, I was alive when my grandma died, so that may change things. I would reccomend the Grandma ____(first name) option.

I also agree that you should ask the step mom what she wants to be called. I think a lot of the time, emotional and physical proximity plays a big part in the name game. We were very close to my mom's mom, so she was Gramma. My dad's mom lived in Florida, and we saw her every 7 years, so she was commonly referred to as "Gramma Brown", but Gramma to her face and on the phone. I think that because the step mom is around from the time the baby was born, the Grandmother title is fully appropriate.

Jeff

Cyburbian
We're just worried that the baby's REAL grandmom is going to be upset. She (my wife's mom) live's in FL and isn't going to see the baby much. And she is the emoional type, so I can see her getting upset over this.

Jeff

Cyburbian
They never talk or even see each other...but....

I'll let my wife make the call. It's her family.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Tranplanner said:

I've only been married two months, but I've found out that this is usually the best course of action.
So true.... :)

El Feo

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:

I've only been married two months, but I've found out that this is usually the best course of action.
Tranplanner, there are decades and decades of marital bliss in your future as long as you always focus on that little truism. I can tell your mother raised no fools.