• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Book club 📖 What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Peer to Peer: Harnessing the Power of Disruptive Techonologies

Actually, I've read half and I don't know if I will bother to finish it. Trying to finish it is beginning to feel like needless delay for starting a book I already bought called "Increase your web traffic in a weekend"

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
this month;s book in my book club is "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson - on page 17, looks like a great read!

cookie

the chronicles of thomas covenant, the unbiliever - 4 the life of me cant remember who the author is -fantasy like lord of the rings
normally i stick to horrors, thrillers, suspense, crime

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
How is it? That guy cracks me up when he does his bits on the Daily Show. His sketch about Pluto being downgraded to a "fun sized" planet was hilarious.
It was quite enjoyable. If you like madeup hilarious facts, histories, and trivia.;) :D

But if your library has it just get it from them, because I don't think it is worth buying.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I have Eleven on Top by Janet Evanovich to read on the beach...errr...during the evenings in the hotel room while at the FAPA conference...err...on the flight down and back. ;-)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Paris Trout.....novel about a black girl killed by a good 'ol boy and rectifying the miscarriage of justice.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Block by Block - Neighborhoods and Public Policy on Chicago's West Side

by Amanda I. Seligman.

It is a history of the public policy efforts/failures during the West Side's slide into decline between 1955-1970ish.

Coragus

Cyburbian
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. Pretty interesting through the first 75 pages.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, and Nexters in Your Workplace by Ron Zemke, Claire Raines, & Bob Filipczak.

For my last Leadership in Local Government class this year. It's suprisingly pretty interesting to read so far.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I picked up State of Denial by Bob Woodward at Sam's Club this morning. Off to the pool to read.

donk

Cyburbian
School text books - Fundamentals of Economics for Business, weekly reading books

Pleasure - Variable Star(Robert Heinlein/Spider robinson collaboration) It is a stinker by all accounts. While the premise of haveing SR finish/contribute to a nearly finished story by RAH is intriguing for fans of both, the execution sucks. Do we really need references to the Trailer Park Boys in a pulp era sci fi book?

Only good thing is that I bought it mail order and was able to get it signed by Spider. i am now down to only a few of my favourite authors of not having signed items. If I can find a Heinlein book plate I'd be really happy.

Looking for PK Dick (spendy), Heinlein (Spendy), Frederick Pohl, Mordecai Richler, Art Spiegelman, Maurice Sendak, would'nt mind a Nick Hornby.

If you come across any of these, pleae let me know.

nerudite

Cyburbian
the chronicles of thomas covenant, the unbiliever - 4 the life of me cant remember who the author is -fantasy like lord of the rings
When I was in high school, my boyfriend was a freak for that series. He wanted the white gold ring and everything. When our friend lost two of his fingers, his consolotation was 'now you are cool like T. Covenant'. Heh... the things that take you back. ;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Starting Martian Time-Slip by Philip K. Dick

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I'm waiting for my next book club book to start ("Devil in the White City" is an awesome book, btw, a great persepctive on the perils of planning in Chicago for the Expo, wow), I am reading "A Pattern Language - Towns, Building, Construction" by Christopher Alexander, Sarah Ishikawa, Murray Silverstein, etc.

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. Pretty interesting through the first 75 pages.

Both this book and Jared Diamond's Collapse are very good.

I am towards the end of T.H. White's Once and Future King and am starting Mark Kurlansky's Cod.

Carl Kandy

Started THE AGE OF JACKSON by Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. on an airplane this weekend. On a lighter note, EARLY STORIES by John Updike. Huge collection; must be 75 stories.

Senior Jefe

Cyburbian
I just finished "On Mexican Time" by Tony Cohan. The author and his wife lived my fantasy of selling everything and moving to a small town in Mexico. This armchair travel book might have to subsitute for a winter vacation to Mexico this year. Looks like I have to settle for Florida instead.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian

Stephen R Donaldson; I still have my editions from the '70's and early '80's. Haven't read fantasy in a long time, though, but I like hanging on to old books.

Next up for me, Janet Evanovich's "Motor Mouth".:-D

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Next up for me, Janet Evanovich's "Motor Mouth".:-D

OK, I am doing the laugh out loud thing. The characters are disposing of a plastic wrapped and duct-taped body and I'm howling. Love these books.... So far they've hijacked a NASCAR car hauler bus and had debates over where to dispose of the found body.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I started reading "Marjorie Morningstar" last night. A freebie I picked up at the book exchange at the library. Not exactly a "dude" book, but it was written by Herman Wouk, who is one of America's greatest writers. Wouk is one of the rare breed of writers who writes beautifully and makes for an easy read. I read 35 pages before I realized it.

Some writers tell a great story. Some writers, like Wouk, tell a story great.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I picked up a random mystery by Nancy Pickard at the library which turns out to be about deaths where a recreational trail crosses a road. Weird, considering I'm in the trails business. Other than that, it's not too interesting.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Potentially an interesting read:

Ghost Map
The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic — And How It Changed Science, Cities and the Modern World
by Steven Johnson

About the London cholera epidemic of 1854 and Dr. John Snow.

From Book Review in USA TODAY
Ghost Map also contains surprising historical nuggets: Did you know, for instance, that because citizens who drank alcohol rather than water were less likely to fall ill, “most of the world's population today is made up of descendants of those early beer drinkers, and we have largely inherited their tolerance for alcohol”?

Check out the author at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P8shnNEXb4

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Building the Dream: A Social History of Housing in America

By Gwendolyn Wright

tsc

Cyburbian
I just finished reading "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb. ...and I realized I read it before. Oprah dusted it off for a book club. It was a terrible case of deja vu.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Just finished Bill Bryson's Memoir's of the Thunderbolt Kid a memoir of growing up in the 1950s in Iowa.

Jen

Cyburbian
I am reading Typhoid Mary an urban historical by Anthony Bourdain you know him from Kitchen Confidential and a Cook's Tour. I also have his Les Halle Cookbook on loan.

Poor Mary Mallon, A tall feisty Irishwoman who could cook well and was also a healthy carrier of typhoid, she got thrown in jail (after fighting off six cops and eluding arrest) and now awaits her fate...i dont think hers is a happy ending.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
A biography of John Adams by David McCullough. McCullough is an excellent biographer and you really get to know his subject. But the book is about 600 pages long so it's taking me quite awhile to get through it.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am reading Typhoid Mary an urban historical by Anthony Bourdain you know him from Kitchen Confidential and a Cook's Tour. I also have his Les Halle Cookbook on loan.

Poor Mary Mallon, A tall feisty Irishwoman who could cook well and was also a healthy carrier of typhoid, she got thrown in jail (after fighting off six cops and eluding arrest) and now awaits her fate...i dont think hers is a happy ending.

I cheated and watched the PBS special on it - I won't tell you the ending - it is a fascinating story!

Sandi

Cyburbian
I got nervous recently in my current job search and desperately pulled out an old college text, Contemporary Urban Planning.
I think I'll update that reading shortly.

Aside from that, I start every morning with a daily meditation, and top off the end of every day with Spiritual Poetry writen by women. Helps to bring a little bit of peace to the day.

Jess

Cyburbian
Art of War

"The Art of War" by Sun Tzu Reading it again the XXnth time. Just refreshing. It's a good book.

cch

Cyburbian
I've been reading Wigfield: The Can-Do Town That Just May Not, by Amy Sedaris, Stephen Colbert and some other guy (named Paul Dinello). I love Sedaris and Colbert and all their stuff I've seen on tv (Stangers with Candy, Colbert Report...), but this book is a disappointment. It is about a crummy town where the government wants to tear down the dam, and conversations with the degenerates who live there. Then there is a side story about some mass murderer in the town. I'm about half way through the book, and at first it was putting a smile on my face, cause in my mind I could hear Stephen Colbert narrating it, in his style of delivery, which cracks me up. But, now it is getting old. But, it is a quick read, and I'll finish it, just to see if anything refreshing ends up happening.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Currently well into Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. It certainly makes clear that the mid-19th century was an incredible period in American history, populated with men and women of exceptional ability.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I'm reading Wandering Home by Bill McKibben. He is an excellent essayist and nature writer, though not in the sense of writing about particular flora and fauna. The book is subtitled "A Long Walk Across America's Most Hopeful Landscape: Vermont's Champlain Valley and New York's Adirondacks." McKibben covers a lot of ground here, both literally and figuratively, reflecting on traditional vs. new ways of living on the land, the definition of "natural," and one's sense of community. It's a small book, but very thought-provoking.

Carl Kandy

I just read not one, but two novels about 70's radical women on the lam and hiding out in America. AMERICAN WOMAN and EAT THE DOCUMENT. Both extremely entertaining, the second perhaps more so. Now I'm reading ON THE ORDERS OF THE PRESIDENT, which is about the internment of Japanese Americans during World War Two. Depressing with a capital "D".

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Finished (rereading) "The Golden Baugh"
Now reading "Live and Let Die" by Ian Fleming (ya know, James Bond)