• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

I just spent 2 days reading a 2-inch thick notebook about OMB Circulars A-102 and A-110.

Tonight it's back to trash, Janet Evanovich's "Full Speed".

JNL

Cyburbian
Finally got a copy of Wekerle & Whitzman's (1995) Safe Cities: Guidelines for Planning, Design and Management so I'm checking that out.

SlaveToTheGrind said:
Trying to cure that insomnia, huh?
Sent by boss to a grants class. Next two days: Cost Principles. No problem with insomnia this week! I'm a night owl, but I was so tuckered out last night I was asleep at 9.

Hceux

Cyburbian
More neverending list of school reading

Currently dreading myself through this book for an environmental course (Making of the North American environment). Tonight it's "Forcing the Spring: The Transformation of the American Environmental Movement." by Robert Gottlieb.

I'd much rather find out abot Far from Home and read it and learn more about Cairo, IL or even that other book that looks at Cairo and Kent as two doomed American towns. Guess another time...c'est la vie! (that's French for That's life)

BiteMeElmo

     
Looks like I have one of the lowbrow selections of the collection...Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub. The Talisman is one of my favorite books ever, so I thought I'd give their sequel a shot.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I just spent 2 days reading a 2-inch thick notebook about OMB Circulars A-102 and A-110.
Throw in the A-133 and A-122 and you've got yourself a good time orgy of mind numbing government regs. Ain't it fun!

biscuit said:
Throw in the A-133 and A-122 and you've got yourself a good time orgy of mind numbing government regs. Ain't it fun!
I only get those if I take the audit class, and no way am I touching that one. Altho I must admit, these circulars are not as mind-numbing as FL statutes.

donk

Cyburbian
Just started reading Douglas Coupland's new one "Hey Nostradamus". He has not written a story so good since "microserfs "and "shampoo planet". I almost called in sick today so I could stay home and read it in one sitting.

MaineMan

Cyburbian
Just finished Michael Moore's new one, "Dude, Where's my country?". That guy makes me proud of being from MI.

Looking for a new one to start. Possibly "Skinny Legs and all".

Hceux

Cyburbian
More school readings

Seems like I never stop reading...does that ring a bell for any of you who were once in universities/colleges?

Anyways, tonight, I'm reading on a bunch of articles written by the prof who is teaching the course. In fact the entire set of readings for the "historical geography" course is done by...guess...the prof who teaches the course! Selling himself as Mr. Wonderful or something...

...here, I go back to a reading on the effects of the railways upon the building of the national identity.

Re: More school readings

Hceux said:
In fact the entire set of readings for the "historical geography" course is done by...guess...the prof who teaches the course! Selling himself as Mr. Wonderful or something...

I had one of those moron professors at Univ. of FL, in cartography. He wrote our (unpublished) text. Gave me a bad grade because I never came to class. Such a misogynist.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Managed to find a copy of the re-released SF classic "The Man Who Folded Himself" by David Gerrold. I'm also reading last Sunday's New York Times - interesting article on the fate of the Manhattan "High Line" for those urban character junkies.

Downtown

     
The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. I SOOOOO hate putting this book down - I stay up way to late reading as it is, and then when I finally put it down to lay down to sleep spend another 1/2 hours just thinking about the book.

My last book was Our Babies, Ourselves, which was one of the much cooler baby books I've slogged through - basically looked at the effect of culture on how various peoples care for infants and the effect of how infants and children are reared upon their adult personality characteristics.

Next up - The Complete Guide to Breastfeeding.

tsc

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. I SOOOOO hate putting this book down - I .
I was going to go get this book and abandon the one I am reading... again.

donk

Cyburbian
MaineMan said:
Just finished Michael Moore's new one, "Dude, Where's my country?". That guy makes me proud of being from MI.

Looking for a new one to start. Possibly "Skinny Legs and all".
I liked that one. Right now I am giving "villa incognito" a second try, I stopped reading it the first go round after about 60 pages, could nnot get into it.

Favourite Tom Robbin's book are Jitterbug Perfume (Portions take place in a bicycle shop) or "Even Cowgirls get the Blues"(lesbians) ;) Really favourite is "Jitterbug Perfume" and the idea that gods only exist as long as people believe in them and some other concepts in the book are great.

On Robertson Davies, I despise his works. I was forced to read them in HS, and have gone back to see if being more mature/older would make them any more enjoyable, it has not.

Eagerly awaiting the release of a new Heinlein book recently "found" in the publishers vault.

Gedunker

Mod
I love naval history and I started Lusitania: An Epic Tragedy by Diana Preston before I began remodelling the kitchen. She's a very breezy writer with outstanding pacing. I hope to be able to get back to it sooner than later.

Mostly I've been reading instructions on installing and wiring can lights and under-cabinet lighting. No good examples of engrish, yet :-D