• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

Book club 📖 What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

jordanb

Cyburbian
Right now, I'm reading Sleepwalking through History: America in the Reagan Years.

The Irish One

Secrets of the Temple How the Federal Reserve Runs the Country by William Greider

A Republic, Not an Empire by Patrick J. Buchanan

JNL

Cyburbian
TIO, you were going to let me know what you thought of Solaris?

The Irish One

Let me say first, I am a scifi dork, I liked it, and even if you don't end up enjoying the book, it's only 200 pages long, so it won't be the biggest waste of time. It gets my reccomendation!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
ludes98 said:
OOOO nice. Almost picked it up over the weekend, but no time for personal reading in the immediate future. PM me with a review.

Trojan Odyssey was good, just finished reading it 20 minutes ago. Typical Cussler story.....though the Pitt-Giordino combo is getting old (age wise) and it appears that this book may be the end of the line for them.......

Not as good as my faves (Sahara, Deep Six, Shock Wave), but still everything you'd expect from Cussler.

I'm now on to read White Death.....the latest of Cussler's Kurt Austin books.....

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Last week's vacation and the 4 hour plane trip there and back afforded me a great opportunity to catch up on my reading. I got through Monica Ali's "Brick Lane" (Excellent work), and Anthony Swofford's "Jarhead" (Curious to find out if any former marines (Jeff, hello Jeff?) have heard of/read this book. Just finished off the latest "Granta" on the way into work today. Looks like I'll be hitting the bookshops at lunch again now...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've never read a historic novel before in my life (which is strange considering I'm a real history buff), but after having seen the movie "Master & Commander: Far Side of the World" I decided I liked it enough to read Patrick Obrian's 'Aubrey/Maturin' series. I think there's 17 books in all and I'm on the fifth book "the Fortunes of War". I'm curious what any other historically-oriented folks might have thought of the series.....

donk

Cyburbian
Just finishing up one of my ebay finds - a signed copy of Phillip Jose Farmer's "Mother was a Lovely Beast".

It is an anthology and commentary about feral children in mythology/literature. Pretty interesting read everything from Romulus and Remus to some wacked out sci-fi. This is a topic Farmer explores frequently in his writing.(lord tyger, Unknown Feast, Mother)

Anxiously awaiting for my favourite book of all timeto arrive, Daniel Pinkwater's Alan Mendelsohn the Boy From Mars . I love ebay for finding books.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
just finished 'Perelandra' by C.S. Lewis

reading: 'The Chicago Bungalow' - about the creation and development of the Chicago variation on the bungalow house theme

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Just finished Nevada Barr's High Country set in Yosemite National Park.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Recently finished Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Wolfe (hated it).

Now reading Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (loving it).

Just bought Glory by Vladimir Nabakov.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Just bought Glory by Vladimir Nabakov.

Good book... but then all Nabokov books are excellent in my opinion (probably my favorite novelist). Thanks for giving the low-down on Mrs. Dalloway... after reading The Hours (excellent book), my interest was piqued by Mrs. Dalloway. :)

On Saturday I went to a book sale at the YMCA and picked up a ton of stuff. I sat down and read Catcher in the Rye for the first time on Saturday. It only took five hours cover to cover, and it was an excellent book... I can't believe that I waited so long to read it!

donk said:
I love ebay for finding books.

[OT]Have you ever tried ebay's half.com? I actually like it better... it is supposedly only for the US, but if you contact some of the sellers they will often ship to Canada. Really good deals and a standardized system for rating book conditions.[/OT]

Last edited by a moderator:

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
[OT]Have you ever tried ebay's half.com? I actually like it better... it is supposedly only for the US, but if you contact some of the sellers they will often ship to Canada. Really good deals and a standardized system for rating book conditions.[/OT]

Thanks for the advice. Most of the books have actually come in much better shape then I expected. For the most part I am looking for reading copies with some collectibility, not full on collector's copies. When I sell the house I will be buying a signed Heinlein though. (ouch$$$$)

BKM

Cyburbian
I am now reading Flicker, a Theodore Roschak (sp) novel positing that an evil Gnostic cult has been secretly inserting subliminal messages into movies since the dawn of Hollywood inculcating their message that the physical world is inherently corrupt and evil. I'm not a big movie buff, but its still a really cool idea. (Gnosticism is also pretty interesting and answers some theological questions I've always had)

Also: American Eden, a survey of recent West Coast landscape architecture. There's a brief discussion of one of my favorite semi-public spaces ever, Levi's (may they rot in sweatshop hell) Plaza in San Francisco.

vaughan

Cyburbian
Just finished a New Yorker article on Aryan Nation gangs in the federal prison system... its incredibly interesting and a bit terrifying. While I've never been in a situation where I've been looking at potential jail time, reading this article has sealed the deal: I will never do anything wrong again.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Just Finished
Gold: Isaac Asimov

Just started :
The Little Drummer Girl: John Le Carre.

Parallely keep reading some comic strips:
Right Now:
Tintin : The Shooting Star

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
The American Heart Association's BLS CPR textbook (fun, huh), Jim Halfpenny's The Yellowstone Wolves. Just finished Still Life With Crows by Preston and Child: a good thriller if you're looking for entertainment.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Just finished Nevada Barr's High Country set in Yosemite National Park.
I'm picking it up at the library tomorrow. Hope it's a good one!

Just finished John Grisham's The Last Juror. Liked it a lot. It's not a lawyer story.

"Experience Design", "Don't make me think", and, er, other fascinating stuff like that about design work and webpage design and generally really GEEKY topics of that sort.

Budgie

Cyburbian
3-15-04

Finished this past weekend:

Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
The Gambler - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Began this past weekend:

Glory - Vladimir Nabakov

Waiting in the wings:

East of Eden - John Steinbeck
The House of the Dead - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Better Together - Robert Putnam (non-fiction)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm just finishing up Running in the Family by Michael Ondaatje. The author goes back to Sri Lanka and writes about the place he grew up and the wacky stories about his eccentric family. Really good reading if you like travelogues and stories from far off places...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Read this weekend: The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler, and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.

Who has read The Time-Traveller's Wife? What did you think?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My wife and I recently rediscovered the public library when she had to get her hands on some children's books for a class she's taking. I was amazed at how much the collection had modernized since I last set foot in there (I worked there during high school). I took out a bunch of gardening and cook books, and just picked up Margaret MacMillan's Paris, 1919.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I finished that Running in the Family book yesterday and started on Robinson Crusoe. I was finding Robinson Crusoe difficult to get into, due to the looooooong sentences and 18th century colloquialisms. I pushed past the first 50 pages and now I'm into the meat of the story and it is getting much more interesting.

BKM

Cyburbian
Peter Straub: lost boy lost girl-Have never read his stuff before. Pretty thoughtful character study for a horror novelist.

Gene Wolfe: Tale of the Long Sun. Fantastic, well done fantasy novel. He is one of the best writers in the genre.

Waiting for me at The Avid Reader in Davis: That new book on Paraguay.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Reads

I just picked up (unfortunately purchased) a copy of James Joyce's "Finnigan's Wake" as part of my catch up on the classics effort. I didn't make it through the first page. Is this really a work of literary art or gobblygook? I'm leaning towards the latter.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Fireplay by Suzanne Chazin

Arson/murder mystery.
The lead is a women Fire Marshal.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I just finished Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential" which is an autobiography of a Chef kind of witten in a Hunter Thompson style. I am obsessed with The Food Network, so this book was a great read.

Next on the docket is "I, Sh--head - A Life In Punk" Which is an autopbiography of Joey Keithley, the lead singer of Canadian punkers D.O.A.

Rem

Cyburbian
Tom R said:
I just picked up (unfortunately purchased) a copy of James Joyce's "Finnigan's Wake" as part of my catch up on the classics effort. I didn't make it through the first page. Is this really a work of literary art or gobblygook? I'm leaning towards the latter.
I find James Joyce very hard going and have never finished any of his novels. I must have started Ulysses half a dozen times, for the same reason as you Tom R, but I can't hack it. It's been several years since I tried and it would take a big change in my personal circumstances to warrant the time for another attempt.

I'm reading two books at the moment (I usually keep a fiction and nonfiction work going).

For fiction I'm reading Sinclair Lewis's Main Street

My current nonfiction read is Fogelson's Downtown: It's Rise and Fall, 1880-1950

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
I just finsihed reading Tacitus' Germania and have moved on to The Sagas of the Icelanders.

The sagas have this wierd rythem and way of telling a story. Kind of like stream of consciousness meets Conan the Barbarian. Also, the hero can die in the middle of the story ubruptly and with little or no warning, but that does not end the story because some other protagonist picks up right where the death of the hero occurs. very odd.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Rem said:
I must have started Ulysses half a dozen times

Ulysses is on my short (actually long) list of books to read before I die.

Finished in the last two weeks -

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Notes from the House of the Dead - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

100 Pages into -

Better Together - Robert Putnam

On the to read shelf -

Scenes from a Clerics Life - George Elliot
Adam Bede - George Elliot
East of Eden - Steinbeck
The Insulted and Injured - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bushwacked - Molly Ivins

Last edited:

Floridays

Cyburbian
began this weekend: "Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown. V. good so far!

will follow up with "The Da Vinci Code," same author.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Let's open it back up.

Most Recently finished.

"Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave" - Fredrick Douglass

Currently Reading.

"Poor Folks" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

On-deck.

"Scenes of Clerical Life" - George Eliot

zman

Cyburbian
Just finished Contents Under Pressure: Thirty Years of Rush at Home and Away
Myabe I will read something to further the planning knowledge. Any ideas?

BKM

Cyburbian
In addition to architecture books, which I "peruse" not really "read" per se :)

I am now reading Stephen King's final volume in the series, The Dark Tower. Awesome fantasy sci/fi that is a combo of Lord of the Rings and Sergio Leone-era Clint movies. I've really enjoyed the series, especially Book 5, Wolves of the Calla. Some rumors have it that this will be his last major book

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Nevada Barr's Hunting Season. I'm a frustrated park ranger, what can I say, plus the Mrs. and I trade off when we finish another one in the series by her.

JNL

Cyburbian
Am part way through 'Brave New World' but finding it a little hard going. Have 'Burning Chrome' by William Gibson waiting in the wings.